"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/19/24 at 11:45am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
mosque in hoover BP residents need to read (Read 25336 times)
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

mosque in hoover BP residents need to read
06/11/07 at 9:48pm

Sulphur springs and al seier are just on the edge of Bluff Park

Hearing on Muslim worship center in Hoover postponed
Posted by Birmingham News staff June 11, 2007 12:49 PM

The Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission today postponed until July 9 consideration of a request to build a Muslim worship center at the intersection of Sulphur Springs Road and Al Seier Road.

The commission was to have considered the request tonight at 5:30, but city Zoning Clerk June Webb said a nearby resident called this morning to say she had not been notified about the request.

Hoover's zoning ordinance requires residents within 500 feet of a development to be notified for certain zoning requests. Some nearby residents oppose a church at this location, citing traffic concerns.

more: http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/1181549954128210.x ml&coll=2

contains more info on the developer and the hoover zoning commission  
this could be a major traffic problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
and if you are in this area and have not been notified you need to call them.
if you oppose you need to call the hoover planning and zoning commission.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: mosque in hoover BP residents need to read
Reply #1 - 06/13/07 at 10:49am

Link posted on the al.com Hoover forum:

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/islamic_0.htm  

It should be noted that the site leans extremely far to the right, so the article must be taken for what it is, biased.  At the same time, though, being informed about things is our responsibility as residents, and the more we know, the better decisions we can make.

I had a conversation with my son, who is 16, about the proposed worship center as we were driving past the site, asking him what his thoughts were.  He was against it.  I asked him why?  He said that it was wrong for them to build it here.  I then said "So it's OK for you to have a church here, but it's not OK for the Muslims to have a mosque?  Is that what you're saying?"  He said basically, yes, that is what he was saying.

This type of thought process comes from a lack of knowledge.  I'm not going to call my son ignorant, but his comments were not too far from it.  Who's fault is that?  Probably mine as a parent would be a good place to start.  Lack of speaking on the subject of religious tolerance is nobody's fault but mine.  But some of the blame can also be put on the local Muslim community and their lack of information.  We speak bad of things we know little of.  This comes from fear and ignorance.

If the Muslim community in Hoover would like to have a worship center, then please come out and explain to us what it will entail.   Be public in what your worship styles are like.  Don't place the responsibility on us to learn your culture and religion.  All we have been exposed to when it comes to the Muslim faith has been, for a lack of a better term, negative.  And, being in the so called Bible Belt, you have an extra burden to convince us that putting a worship center in Hoover is a good idea.

Most people in Bluff Park and Hoover, regardless of what John Archibald of the Birmingham News http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/jarchibald.ssf?/base/news/118163639174520. xml&coll=2 may say, have grown out of the redneck, racist culture of the past.  But events of the past 5+ years have taught us to be a little more "careful" as to who we allow into our backyard.  If you don't come in with your hands where we can see them, figuratively speaking, we just might not let you in.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 1:43pm

I read the article in your post and yes it is very "right" of center but I think you have to realize that this is a religion that preaches Kill, Convert or Subjugate. Not the religion of peace that the media wants you to think it is.  There is good and evil in this world and right now Islamic groups cause a second look. To me there are two sides to this one being the traffic issue, I dont care what they would be putting there a mosque or a church or a store.. the road can not handle the traffic.  The other side is that this raises an eyebrow about the security of citizens in Hoover.  Has this group been checked out, homeland security anyone??? I know it seems bad but in a post 911 world you have to do that. It seems a little fishy to me.. they will not call it a mosque, I have seen it referred to as a "church" Islam does not have churches they have mosque. I have also seen it called a "worship center" in the paper and my the company wanting to develop the land. I would also like to know where they got the money.. a lot of terrorists groups were funneling money through mosques. Also the fact that some of the residents with in 500 feet were not notified according to the law when land around them is going to be re-zoned.  

I like what you said bpresident:
" If the Muslim community in Hoover would like to have a worship center, then please come out and explain to us what it will entail.   Be public in what your worship styles are like.  Don't place the responsibility on us to learn your culture and religion.  All we have been exposed to when it comes to the Muslim faith has been, for a lack of a better term, negative.  And, being in the so called Bible Belt, you have an extra burden to convince us that putting a worship center in Hoover is a good idea."

could they not build this in an area already zoned for non residential.

I think you also have to ask the question, does this group denounce the injustices on women in sects of Islam, do they denounce suicide bombing.. etc

YOu got to ask a lot of questions when something like this happens

IP Logged
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 3:12pm

Well said bpresident. Concerns about traffic and whether the zoning procedures were followed are fine by any other questions are beyond the pale. We live in a country that values (or use to value) religious tolerance. The people that want to worship there do not have to expain Islam to everybodies satisfaction to have their worship center built.
Do we ask these kind of questions when the Baptists or Methodists want to build a church? Do we worry about Seventh Day Adventists? What about Mormoms, if they come into a community are we all afraid we will end up pologomists? What about the Catholics, they believe bread and wine are turned into the body and blood of Christ and then they consume it. Isn't that canabalism? Shouldn't we throw Prince of Peace church out of Bluff Park?
If terrorists want to try to attack Bluff Park they will, whether or not the worship center is there. Building it will not increase the terror threat in Bluff Park one iota.  Cool

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 06/14/07 at 3:53pm

CoolSchool:

I think what I said was:
Quote from bpresident on 06/13/07 at 10:49am:
Link posted on the al.com Hoover forum:

If the Muslim community in Hoover would like to have a worship center, then please come out and explain to us what it will entail.   Be public in what your worship styles are like.  Don't place the responsibility on us to learn your culture and religion.  All we have been exposed to when it comes to the Muslim faith has been, for a lack of a better term, negative.  And, being in the so called Bible Belt, you have an extra burden to convince us that putting a worship center in Hoover is a good idea.

which I think is exactly the opposite of what you are saying, if I'm not mistaken.  The people who want to build their center do have to explain what it's all about.  We happen to know already what the Baptists, Methodists, Mormons, Catholics, etc. are all about.  But we don't know what the Muslims are about, at least most of us don't.  All we know is what we read in the papers and on the web and see on TV.  And, I'm sorry to say, it's not good.

Religious tolerance was great in the 18th, 19th and 20th century, and it's still great today, but at a price.  The price is full and open disclosure.  The Baptists don't mind you coming to their church and asking all kinds of questions (we just might want to have you join our church while you're there...).  The Catholics don't mind you asking about Communion.  The Jews don't mind you dropping in during a Bar Mitzvah.  So I'm sure our Muslim friends won't mind if we drop in and ask some questions either, right?  But we might feel a little uncomfortable doing it, so the burden is on them, not us.  We're asking for full disclosure, that's all.  You want to come to our neighborhood, we don't mind.  But don't come in cloaked in secrecy because chances are it's not going to go over too well.  

No, sorry, CoolSchool, but you must have me confused with someone else.  And your are taking an act of symbolism (the body and blood of Christ) and turning it into something that it is not (comparing it to canabalism) or saying that Mormons are going to turn us into polygamists.  Invalid examples.  And making the statement that if terrorists are going to attack us, they will regardless of what we do?  Maybe.  But we sure won't just open the door and let them in without asking a couple of questions first.  You don't let just anyone who knocks on your front door into your house, do you?

IP Logged
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 06/14/07 at 4:32pm

Oh where to begin!
First, if you think Catholics believe the bread and wine are a symbol of the body and blood of Christ you are incorrect. They believe the bread and wine are literally changed into the body and blood of Christ. My tongue was firmly in my check when I called them canibals but others have called it canabalism. That was my point, we allow other faiths to build churches and many of us don't really have a complete or accurate idea of what they believe. Did you know some Christians believe our republic should be done away with and replaced with a theocracy? That sounds pretty dangerous to me but if such a group wants to open a worship center in Bluff Park I don't believe I have the right to stop them because of their beliefs. Why are we holding Islam to a highere standard?  Cool

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 06/14/07 at 5:49pm

CoolSchool I don't believe I have the right to stop them because of their beliefs. Why are we holding Islam to a highere standard?

We are holding them to a higher standard because they have commited acts that fall outside of the norm, or at least what a reasonable person perceives to be the norm.

If you will go back to my original post, you will see that I am the first to say that ignorance on my part plays a role.  I am not disputing that.  But caution on my part also plays a role.

Here's where you and I differ:  You are playing into the role of being politically correct.  You do not believe that one should get down on others based on their beliefs.  I'm tired of playing the PC game.  

Let me give you an example.  Lets say that the site was planning to open a church instead of a Muslim worship center (and by the way, why can't they just call it a mosque, instead of a "worship center").  And lets say that the church was going to be a "Baptist" church.  Would you let them build it without asking further questions?  I hope you didn't answer yes.  Lets say that the name of the church was "Westboro Baptist Church".  Would you still let them build?  I hope you didn't answer yes.  Lets say the pastor's name is Fred Phelps.  Would you still let them build?  Do you see what I'm getting at?  We need to ask questions.  Just because they call themselves something (like Fred Phelps calls himself a "Baptist" "church"), doesn't mean that we as responsible citizens don't need to investigate.  Especially these days.

This applies to protestant, Jews and Muslims.  Especially Muslims.  Not too many "good" things have been written about them in the press lately.  Most of it has been, shall we say, on the negative end.  If they would like to have a meeting and disclose what they propose to do in their worship center, I say "Come on!".  

Please take a minute to rent a video from the library entitled "Obsession: The Threat of Radical Islam".  It talks all about these local worship centers that seem to have an alterior motive.  If I'm so wrong, why can we not have a representative from their group give their side - that's all we are asking.  Nothing else.  Enlighten us!  Look, we've opened our arms to others who are different.  Even so called "illegals" are welcomed around here.  OK, "welcomed" may be too generous of a term.  Lets go with "tolerated".  But they have spokespeople that are speaking up for them.  Why doesn't the Muslim community?  Educate us.  We want to learn.  Or could it be that we're not wrong?

Call me ignorant.  I'll agree with you on that.  I am ignorant on the Muslim faith.  But I'm also a quick learner.  And a willing one.  I'm sure that they plan on opening up a good center.  But call it what it is.  Don't sugarcoat it by calling it a "worship center" when it's nothing but a mosque.  That shows deceipt from the start.  But just like I wouldn't let Fred Phelps open up a "Baptist" "church" in Bluff Park, I'm going to find out what they are planning to build.  And I hope you would be curious also.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #7 - 06/18/07 at 9:16am

In response to CoolSchool:

Do we ask these kind of questions when the Baptists or Methodists want to build a church? Do we worry about Seventh Day Adventists? What about Mormoms, if they come into a community are we all afraid we will end up pologomists? What about the Catholics, they believe bread and wine are turned into the body and blood of Christ and then they consume it. Isn't that canabalism? Shouldn't we throw Prince of Peace church out of Bluff Park?

The last I checked the Mormons and Catholics were trying to kill us.  It is nice that you are trying to have an “Open Arms” view of this situation, but the Muslim religion is one of the most intolerant religions on this planet.  They kill each over simple little nuances in the religion (Sunni vs. Shiite), they treat women like second class citizens (have to wear head scarves and worship separately), and they have no regard for human life.   If you have to blame it on “Traffic Problems” that’s great, but I don’t want them in my community.  

Oh, I know you are going to bring up the fact that IRA Irish Catholics killed Protestants in the name of God, but that was really secular (Really Great Britain (Northern Ireland) vs. the Republic of Ireland).  

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/07 at 6:28pm

Here is more info that was in the paper today.
Some key notes.. I still dont see where this is good for Hoover. As said before, this is land zoned f for retail or office use. The city would take a loss in tax dollars if anything other than retail went in. Why should this land be re zoned (for anyone!!!!!) Still a traffic issue. Still an issue of trust with the Islamic Society. I would like to know what group the bus bombers from London were affiliated with. The article says "Ismailis live in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe and North America, according to the Web site of the Institute of Ismaili Studies, which is based in London." I wonder if they made any denouncements after the bus bombing.  Much to look into.

I also have to say that I have been watching the conversation here and on the al.com hoover forum and according to the paper only 2 letters/calls received?? I guess one was mine. IF you are voicing opposition here or anywhere else.. you should voice it to the zoning board and the hoover commission and mayor's office.  

With Councilman Mike Natter mentioned in the article as being undecided I think he would be a good person to call.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/hoover.ssf?/base/community/118232767210856 0.xml&coll=2

July 9th is the mtg

IP Logged
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 06/21/07 at 8:42am

BPW you asked, "Why should this land be rezoned (for anyone).  
The following is a quote from the News article you linked to.  
"The property is zoned for retail or office use. Use of the property for any other purpose requires approval by the commission and the council under what is called a conditional use.  

All churches are approved under conditional use because there is no zoning district for churches
"  

If the reporter is summarzing Hoover's zoning laws correctly any church wanting to build in Hoover would have to have land rezoned. Since you are opposed to rezoning land for anyone is it your position no additional churches should be built in Hoover?  Cool

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/07 at 10:14am

"The property is zoned for retail or office use. Use of the property for any other purpose requires approval by the commission and the council under what is called a[color=#009900] conditional use.

All churches are approved under conditional use because there is no zoning district for churches. "[/color]

Conditional being the key word here.
No I am not against new "Churches" in Hoover, I am against this mosque at this site. They could go somewhere else that is not zoned for retail and has better access. Also noting that the guy in the article said that most members did not live in Hoover (the city) so why do they want it here???????

on a side note, this is a special that PBS would not air, Fox is now airing it read on http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285695,00.html

« Last Edit: 06/21/07 at 10:14pm by BluffParkwriter »  
  IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #11 - 06/25/07 at 10:54pm

Interesting article in the Birmingham News regarding the worship center:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/06/crowd_turns_out_to_oppose_hoov.html

Here's what's more interesting, from the article:

On Friday, the Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission postponed until Aug. 13 its consideration of the project. The commission, which meets the second Monday each month, had been scheduled to consider the proposal on July 9.

So it has been rescheduled from early June to July 9 to August 13, which means that the next date should be September 17.  By the time they are done rescheduling this meeting, the people interested in getting the zoning approved may have lost interest.  Hmm...

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 06/26/07 at 8:41am

Or the people interested in fighting it will have lost interest.  Fires die down quickly.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/07 at 3:16pm

THis is the text from the link above. We need to keep on top of this and make the Aug. 13th meeting.

About 150 people filled the lunchroom Monday night at Gwin Elementary School at a meeting organized by opponents of a Muslim worship center in Hoover.

Residents from several neighborhoods near the 4.7-acre site at the intersection of Sulphur Springs and Al Seier roads said they oppose the project because of the traffic it would bring.

Lee Strickland, who lives in the Village at Highland Crest, said hundreds of new houses already planned in the area will cause traffic congestion that a church would make worse.

"You've got a traffic problem you can't resolve if you just keep adding to it," Strickland said.

No one at the hour-long meeting spoke in favor of the worship center.

On Friday, the Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission postponed until Aug. 13 its consideration of the project. The commission, which meets the second Monday each month, had been scheduled to consider the proposal on July 9.

For complete details, see Tuesday's Birmingham News

Mike Cason

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - 07/04/07 at 8:59am

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company