"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
03/28/24 at 6:37am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
mosque in hoover BP residents need to read (Read 25294 times)
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Re: more research
Reply #15 - 07/09/07 at 6:27pm

"statement made by Omar Ahmad, Chairman Emeritus of CAIR, that "Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth."

through more research I thought this might be interesting for people to read.
http://boortz.com/nuze/200707/07052007.html

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Re: mosque in hoover BP residents need to read
Reply #16 - 07/10/07 at 9:47am

New Mall comments have been moved to This Thread

please go to it for more commentary

« Last Edit: 07/11/07 at 11:51am by BluffParkwriter »  
  IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #17 - 07/10/07 at 4:26pm

It appears that our Ismailis brethren are the world’s first terrorist!  The word “Assassin” comes from their ancient day suicide military wing, the The Hashashin.  Death and suicide seem to be very prevalent in their society!!!!

Taken from Wikipedia:

Surrounded by the Abbasids and other hostile powers, and low in numbers, Hassan-i-Sabbah derived a way to attack the Ismaili enemies with a small loss and number. Using the method of assassination, from which the English word is derived from Hashashin, he ordered the killing of Sunni scholars and politicians that threatened the Ismailis. Knives and daggers were used. Sometimes in warning, a knife would be put into the pillow of the enemy, and often they understood the message.  

However, when an assassination was actually made, the Hashashin would not be allowed to run away, but rather to strike further fear in the enemy by showing no emotion, they would stand there. This further increased the reputation of the Hashashin in the Sunni world.

Now that is scary!!!

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

residents speak out
Reply #18 - 07/11/07 at 2:53pm

" I believe all faiths should have a place to worship, and I do not think we should prevent the Muslim faith from having a place to worship. But given Muslims' propensity for violence toward those who do not believe as they do and the sounds that emanate from their worship centers, I do not believe they should own property in a quiet neighborhood.

No matter on what side of the issue you may find yourself, I would like to challenge each person to attend the meeting on Aug. 13 at 5:30 p.m. in the Hoover Municipal Building. "

http://www.al.com/opinion/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/opinion/118414389229425 0.xml&coll=2

good editorial by a Hoover resident on his feelings of why Hoover does not need this.

AND DONT FORGET THE AUG 13TH MTG

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/29/07 at 5:59pm

stand by!
I have heard that there will be a mtg held by the group wanting to build the mosque and the residents who dont want it BEFORE the planning and zoning mtg on the 13th.

Date: tues July 31  
TIme :
Place:

if anyone has more info on this please post it. I am researching it

stand by

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #20 - 07/30/07 at 6:38am

Quote from BluffParkwriter on 07/29/07 at 5:59pm:
stand by!
I have heard that there will be a mtg held by the group wanting to build the mosque and the residents who dont want it BEFORE the planning and zoning mtg on the 13th.

Date: tues July 31
TIme :
Place:

if anyone has more info on this please post it. I am researching it

stand by

The meeting is on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 7:30 pm at Prince of Peace Church

Story on the meeting is here: http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/vtm/news.apx.-content-articles-VTM-2007-07-29 -0006.html

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/31/07 at 4:19pm

a repersentive of group that wansts to build  
is on the Matt Murphy Show right now on 850am
THe quote that stood out to me was that he hoped that hoover and the residents of hoover would follow the law........... ??????????????????????????????

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 07/31/07 at 9:36pm

I attended the meeting tonight.  I'll have a full report tomorrow, after the media has their say.  The report will be on the main site, but we'll have a link from here.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #23 - 08/01/07 at 3:57pm

On Tuesday, July 31, 2007, the Muslim group wishing to build a worship center on the property located on Sulphur Springs Road called a meeting at Prince of Peach Catholic Church.  The meeting was scheduled for 7:30 pm and was by invitation, however anyone was welcome to attend, except for the media.

The meeting took place in PoP Fellowship Hall.  Although I did not have an invitation, I asked if I could sit in and was granted access.  A table was setup in the foyer with pre-printed name tags and people taking names of those not registered.

Seating was for about 100 people and most seats were taken up.  The television media, although not allowed in during the actual discussion, was allowed to take shots of the crowd.  The print media was allowed to stay.  The front of the room had a screen and a projector which was hooked up to a laptop.  The back of the room had a table with various literature about the denomination being represented on one side and a large table with catered food on the other side.

The meeting began at exactly 7:30 pm with an introduction by Dr. Mansoor Saleh, who is an oncologist at UAB and member of the Birmingham chapter of Ismailis.  Dr. Saleh introduced a DVD which described their particular denomination, Ismaili Muslims, their background and what their proposed worship center would look like.  The worship center is called a jamatkhana.  The DVD also showed various placed around the United States, and the world,  that already had a Ismaili jamatkhanas.  What struck me as interesting was the fact that all of their buildings were built to match the architecture of the surrounding neighborhood.  Dr. Saleh emphasized how the Ismaili’s goal was their buildings to blend in.

The meeting concluded with a Q & A session.  Dr. Saleh stated before the meeting that the traffic issue would not be addressed this evening since the City of Hoover was doing their own traffic study and that would be presented at the August 13 meeting.  One resident asked some very good questions regarding how many members would attend and when services would be.  Services run seven days a week, once in the morning from between 4 am and 5:30 am, which last 90 minutes, and once in the evening after 7:30 pm.  The major service day was on Fridays, in which most families came out.  The proposed center will have 200 parking spaces so the anticipated membership is expected to be 600-800.  Once the membership outgrows the center, the lease is not renewed and a new location is sought out.  The Ismaili’s do not own the worship center.  They lease it from the builder.  

The impression that I had after the meeting is that this group is doing their best to be accepted by their potential new community.  The covered all the bases, with the exception of the traffic issue, which is still being studied.  It does not appear that their worship center will be a disruption to the community where it is being built.  According to Dr. Saleh, their goal is to blend in to their adopted community.

I’ll repeat what I stated after the meeting:  Based upon what I heard at the meeting, I believe they would be a fine addition to the Hoover community.

Liz Ellaby, Birmingham News Reporter, has an article covering other issues:  http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/metro.ssf?/base/news/118595700037800.xml&a mp;coll=2

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/01/07 at 9:52pm

So when they outgrow the builing then what...is there a projection on when they expect to reach maximum occupancy? If there is already discussion about outgrowing the site, why not consider a larger site that could sustain the congregation and its growth longer?? Also, I would be interested to know if the leaders of this meeting mentioned any data on how many Ismaili Muslims actually reside in the area. Is there a demand for this in the area or will many members be driving in from surrounding areas?

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/02/07 at 12:36am

It was quoted  in an article here: http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/hoover.ssf?/base/community/118232767210856 0.xml&coll=2

"About one-third of the members live outside the metro area, Seleh said."

I still have to wonder why they want it in the middle of a residential neighborhood.. it would be different if it was on 150 or elsewhere. It concerns me that they would not let the tv media record the mtg, I have not heard a reason yet for that.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #26 - 08/02/07 at 11:36am

Quote from PharmD on 08/01/07 at 9:52pm:
So when they outgrow the builing then what...is there a projection on when they expect to reach maximum occupancy? If there is already discussion about outgrowing the site, why not consider a larger site that could sustain the congregation and its growth longer?? Also, I would be interested to know if the leaders of this meeting mentioned any data on how many Ismaili Muslims actually reside in the area. Is there a demand for this in the area or will many members be driving in from surrounding areas?

First question was asked and answered at the meeting:  When they outgrow their building, they find another location to move to, terminate the lease and move.  Building does not belong to them, so it can be leased/sold to someone else.  Building is architectually like the other buildings in the area, so it can be used for other businesses/churches/etc.

Second question, regarding already outgrowing site:  Was not asked, so no answer can be given, however, the indication was that they were only at half capacity.  The feeling I got was that they were not going to grow very much.

Third and fourth questions, regarding membership residence, answered by BluffParkWriter

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #27 - 09/13/07 at 9:03pm

And so ends the saga of the Muslim Worship Center on Sulphur Springs Road:

http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/vtm/news.apx.-content-articles-VTM-2007-09-13 -0019.html

They will now be looking for a new location.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company