"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/25/24 at 7:35am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bluff Park Revitalization (Read 11850 times)
bparkian
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park Revitalization
07/27/07 at 12:52pm

What ever happened to the whole topic of rennovating/revitalizing the shopping center areas in bluff park?  I know there were some meetings and feesibility studies, but I've never heard what the outcome was.  In my opinion, it would be a HUGE deterrant to crime to have a nicer, cleaner, busier shopping area.  It would also be great for Bluff Park as I think it would attract more businesses to open in this area.  We need more stuff up here!!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Bluff Park Revitalization
Reply #1 - 07/27/07 at 2:28pm

Quote from momof3 on 07/27/07 at 12:52pm:
What ever happened to the whole topic of rennovating/revitalizing the shopping center areas in bluff park?  I know there were some meetings and feesibility studies, but I've never heard what the outcome was.  In my opinion, it would be a HUGE deterrant to crime to have a nicer, cleaner, busier shopping area.  It would also be great for Bluff Park as I think it would attract more businesses to open in this area.  We need more stuff up here!!

The study was completed in March of this year.  I was able to get a copy of the report in the early part of July and am in the process of deciphering it.  The completed report in in the form of  PowerPoint slides that have been printed out, so there's some translation that needs to be done.  Once that is complete, I plan on posting it on the BluffParkAl.org site.  It is taking a little bit longer than anticipated due to the upcoming community event (if anyone would like to lend a hand, we're still taking volunteers... Smiley ).

Admin

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 08/05/07 at 8:00pm

Who did the study, and would this be something to either be presented at, or possibly running the powerpoint presentation in the background on the 11th?

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08/05/07 at 9:19pm

Quote from JBH on 08/05/07 at 8:00pm:
Who did the study, and would this be something to either be presented at, or possibly running the powerpoint presentation in the background on the 11th?

A company out of Atlanta (I believe their name is listed under the original link in the  Neighborhood Updates section of the BluffParkAl.org web site) did the study.

Negative on the running of the Powerpoint presentation.  We were given a handout, not the actual PPT show.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
bparkian
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 08/09/07 at 9:50am

I read on another topic (Grove Mall) that there is no "official" outcome yet on the feesibility study.... is this true?  Is anyone going to fix up the area or not?  Pretty simple question.  I realize that a lot has to be done by the property owners - why not petition them as well as the residential property owners to make it nicer?  I drove through Homewood (Edgewood) the other day and it would be great if they could just make it look like a nice small-town, quaint, classy area like that.  Patton Creek style would be nice, but I think we'd be happy with just SOME improvement!  Look what the residential property values are doing in Edgewood.  I've heard many real estate people say that they can see Bluff Park looking much like Edgewood in the coming years.  I think this definately ties in with the topic on unsightly homes, but we also have unsightly commercial areas as well.  At least with the homes we don't have to go in them - just look.  With businesses we have to shop inside there or go somewhere else - which is the whole point right?!  We want people to shop here and Bluff Parkians want to shop closer to home.  I know I don't like driving miles out of the way for groceries, but Piggly Wiggly kind of grosses me out.

IP Logged
meredithshepherd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 08/09/07 at 8:18pm

Mom of 3 - I completely agree with you.The Pig grosses me out too.  We need to improve the commercial areas as well. If this is done then obviousely new homebuyers would be attracted to the area. These potential Bluff Parkers would most likely be the ones to keep up their homes. We do have the potential to compete with Homewood, we just need to step it up a little. I try very hard to shop in Bluff Park even when I would rather drive down the hill to much nicer area, but I know that Bluff Park shops need our money. I have been delighted to see a new shop Ashley Mac's in the Pig shopping center.

IP Logged
bparkian
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 08/09/07 at 9:16pm

I agree - Ashley Mac's looks great!  We need more stores like this!!!  I just wish I needed something from catering - I too like to spend my money up here.  That little Turquoise store on Shades Crest is also precious - but way out of my price range.

IP Logged
kelechim
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 08/11/07 at 10:46am

I for one LOVE the Pig. They sell the best homemade chicken salad in the world, carry Sky Bread products, and are always friendly. They are what makes this place feel like a real community to me. I love reading the bulletin boards, talking with the regular checkers that I have come to know and they know me.  

I also love the fact that all the little old men sit and talk and drink coffee in the mornings up at the shopping center. It just makes the neighborhood feel special and old timey to me. When I first moved here a few years back I used to say it felt like Mayberry off the Andy Griffith show...a hidden jewel in Hoover. I am feeling less that way lately though as we are now having to worry about crime more.

Also, I've been curious for years....what are those brick buildings used for that are located near the Carto Map place and the Snowcone place? If you haven't had a snowcone....you don't know what you are missing by the way!!! Wink

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 08/11/07 at 11:08am

I love the Pig too.  It's clean, has excellent meat and produce.  What, out of curiosity, does anyone find "gross" aboout it?

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/07 at 9:15pm

I think a good start to making the shopping center nicer is to get the lot resurfaced....it would be a start.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 08/12/07 at 10:14pm

Quote from momof3 on 08/09/07 at 9:50am:
I read on another topic (Grove Mall) that there is no "official" outcome yet on the feesibility study.... is this true?  Is anyone going to fix up the area or not?  Pretty simple question.  I realize that a lot has to be done by the property owners - why not petition them as well as the residential property owners to make it nicer?  I drove through Homewood (Edgewood) the other day and it would be great if they could just make it look like a nice small-town, quaint, classy area like that.  Patton Creek style would be nice, but I think we'd be happy with just SOME improvement!  Look what the residential property values are doing in Edgewood.  I've heard many real estate people say that they can see Bluff Park looking much like Edgewood in the coming years.  I think this definately ties in with the topic on unsightly homes, but we also have unsightly commercial areas as well.  At least with the homes we don't have to go in them - just look.  With businesses we have to shop inside there or go somewhere else - which is the whole point right?!  We want people to shop here and Bluff Parkians want to shop closer to home.  I know I don't like driving miles out of the way for groceries, but Piggly Wiggly kind of grosses me out.

The study is complete, see my earlier post.  No, at this time they have found that it is not going to be "fixed up", at least the city is not going to foot the bill for it.  The study found it not to be feasable.  If I can find someway of posting the study so everyone can see it, I will do so.  The city paid $30,000 for it, so it should be available in electronic format.

The brick buildings in the rear of the Shades Mountain Plaza next to Caribbean Ice are part of the Carto Map company.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
meredithshepherd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 08/13/07 at 2:14pm

Quote from straycatmom on 08/11/07 at 11:08am:
I love the Pig too.  It's clean, has excellent meat and produce.  What, out of curiosity, does anyone find "gross" aboout it?

In response to the above inquiry-
  Look around you while you are shopping. Look at the walls when you get your cart. Look at the registers and around the floors when you are checking out. All it takes is a glance. I have no idea how they recieved a 97 rating. I am not trying to be critical. Just want to explain why it is hard for me to buy food there.  
 I do however recognize the convience it provides when one is shopping in  a hurry or needs to pick up an item or two. And I do give them credit for stocking some organic and local items. Most all stores now recognize the demand for that. I would not consider their produce section to be of great quality or of wide selection.  
I do love the nice people there and do not mean to offend anyone who works there. If the building was updated it would be easier for them to keep it looking clean.  
 I am very sorry to hear that Hoover City does not want to put any money into our commercial area. It does not surprise me though. Our area seems to get "overlooked" at times.

IP Logged
bpres
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 08/13/07 at 2:57pm

The PIG...The Pig is OK, as clean as most grocery stores.  Bruno's in Hoover is not any cleaner, just a better selection of items.  The Pig is convenient for us BP residents, has a friendly atmosphere, etc.  The biggest complaint that I have is that they have a problem with OUT OF DATE merchandise.  Noticed that on some dairy products recently.  Whoever mentioned the parking lot it correct.  The lot is terrrible!!!!! The tenants on both sides should insist on a cooperative repaving effort, since each side of the center has a different owner.  

IP Logged
RockviewResident

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #13 - 08/13/07 at 3:18pm

I love the Pig too. It's clean, has excellent meat and produce. What, out of curiosity, does anyone find "gross" aboout it?

I think it smells funny, but other than that I love it.

War Eagle!
  IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 08/13/07 at 7:12pm

Quote from meredithshepherd on 08/13/07 at 2:14pm:

In response to the above inquiry-
 Look around you while you are shopping. Look at the walls when you get your cart. Look at the registers and around the floors when you are checking out. All it takes is a glance. I have no idea how they recieved a 97 rating. I am not trying to be critical. Just want to explain why it is hard for me to buy food there.
I do however recognize the convience it provides when one is shopping in  a hurry or needs to pick up an item or two. And I do give them credit for stocking some organic and local items. Most all stores now recognize the demand for that. I would not consider their produce section to be of great quality or of wide selection.
I do love the nice people there and do not mean to offend anyone who works there. If the building was updated it would be easier for them to keep it looking clean.  
I am very sorry to hear that Hoover City does not want to put any money into our commercial area. It does not surprise me though. Our area seems to get "overlooked" at times.

Curious about your last sentence.  Tell me what you mean by Bluff Park getting "overlooked".  And how did you enjoy our party on Saturday.  What did you think of Ryan Kinder and the Alabama Pipes and Drums?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company