"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/23/24 at 3:16pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area (Read 19614 times)
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area
10/22/07 at 5:00pm

My grandchildren, son and daughter-in-law were devastated to find their beloved cat had been visciously attacked, mauled, and ripped to shreds sometime in the early morning hours this morning (Monday, October 22), in the Park Avenue/Rockview Lane/Cloudland Avenue area.

The attack and killing of this beloved pet was definitely done by a predatory dog because the predator went onto their porch and around a corner to attack the cat in its own bed.  We know the dog did not come across the cat in the yard because it would have climbed a tree or run under the house to escape the attack....not run to its bed.  If the cat had been aware of the dog prior to the attack, it would have gone through the bannister rails or jumped over the bannister to escape.  From the scene, we can tell that the cat put up a good fight for it's life, and we SINCERELY hope that the dog has very SEVERE wounds all over it's face and neck!  There are pools of blood and large tufts of cat hair spread from the bed, around the porch, onto the walkway, and across the yard a good 100 feet.  

This is very graphic, I know, and I apologize, but it needs to be graphic so that everyone can be aware of this viscious dog that is loose in our neighborhood!  We are very concerned about this dog being loose because not only does it now have the taste of blood and killing in its mouth and mind, but from the visciousness of the scene and the shredded body of the cat, if this dog gets hold of a small child, or even a large child or an adult, the consequences will be horrific!

If you see a strange dog running around, and especially if that dog appears to be wounded on its face and neck, please be cautious, and please, please call Animal Control immediately.

If you think you know whose dog this is, please contact me through this forum.  It would be greatly appreciated!  No child (or even adult) should ever have to wake up to find the scene my grandchild found this morning when he went out to feed his beloved pet!!!

IP Logged
meredithshepherd
YaBB Newbies

Re: Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area
Reply #1 - 10/22/07 at 7:19pm

Recap,  
 I am VERY sorry about this situation- I hope this is not one of the neighborhood's MANY displaced dogs running around out area...
We have had trouble with a racoon in the past around our house and we were unsettled to find out last year that one of our neighbors was feeding it , if you can believe that one! Just wanted to let you know in case it could have been a wild critter running around.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 10/23/07 at 1:11pm

Of course, we considered that it could have been a coyote or a bobcat that came up over the bluff and down Park Avenue, but in my years of living in Bluff Park I have never heard of any bobcat or coyote sightings.  If they are around, that's very disconcerting with all the small children playing outside at Bluff Park Elementary, at the park at the pool, and in their own yards!

I think that if it had been a coyote or bobcat or other critter, it would have eaten the cat for a meal.  Whatever attacked the cat just seemed to have "played" with it until it tired of the game or the cat stopped fighting.

We really believe that because of the timing that it is someone's dog that they were too lazy to put on a leash and walk and just let it out to "do its business ", and the dog knew the cat's home turf.  If so, their dog went home pretty bloody and banged up!  

The scene and cat's remains reminded me of pictures you see on the news about dog attacks, and that dog definitely needs to be put down because it WILL attack something or someone again!  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 10/23/07 at 4:17pm

Quote from Recap on 10/23/07 at 1:11pm:
Of course, we considered that it could have been a coyote or a bobcat that came up over the bluff and down Park Avenue, but in my years of living in Bluff Park I have never heard of any bobcat or coyote sightings.  If they are around, that's very disconcerting with all the small children playing outside at Bluff Park Elementary, at the park at the pool, and in their own yards!

I think that if it had been a coyote or bobcat or other critter, it would have eaten the cat for a meal.  Whatever attacked the cat just seemed to have "played" with it until it tired of the game or the cat stopped fighting.

We really believe that because of the timing that it is someone's dog that they were too lazy to put on a leash and walk and just let it out to "do its business ", and the dog knew the cat's home turf.  If so, their dog went home pretty bloody and banged up!

The scene and cat's remains reminded me of pictures you see on the news about dog attacks, and that dog definitely needs to be put down because it WILL attack something or someone again!

About  1 1/2 years ago I stopped two dogs from destroying our neighbor's cat.  One of the dogs was a Chow (surprise!).  I chased the dogs off after pulling them off the cat.  I later found out that they lived in the Maiden Lane/Paramount Lane area and that they often got out from their yard.  Their owner didn't seem to care too much.  Those streets, of course, are near the location of the attack that you describe.  I must say, though, that I have not seen the dogs running loose for over six months now.

It should also be noted that we did have a coyote running loose near the elementary school a few years ago.  Every time animal control was dispatched, though, the animal was gone.  But they have been spotted in Bluff Park before.

We do have a loose dog problem that needs to be deal with and the best thing is to contact Animal Control 444-7760 whenever you them running around.  If you feel that they may pose a threat to children (like the Rottweiler from a month ago), call Hoover PD at 822-5300.  

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 10/23/07 at 6:49pm

This was definitely not a raccoon.  A grown cat might sustain some damage, but would not be killed by a raccoon, and the raccoon would most likely look as bad, if not worse.  If we have a coyote, we all need to be on the lookout.  Please anyone report any sightings, but I think if there is one in the neighborhood, it will make the news even if the person who spotted it never heard of this site.
It sounds like a dog is the most likely culprit.  I am so sorry for your loss, and for the trauma for the child and parents.
Did any one hear anything?  This could not possibly have been a quiet event.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 10/23/07 at 7:38pm

[ If we have a coyote, we all need to be on the lookout.  Please anyone report any sightings, but I think if there is one in the neighborhood, it will make the news even if the person who spotted it never heard of this site.
It sounds like a dog is the most likely culprit.  I am so sorry for your loss, and for the trauma for the child and parents.
Did any one hear anything?  This could not possibly have been a quiet event.   [/quote]

They were amazed they didn't hear anything either, but the bedrooms are on the back of the house and this happened in the front.

My son took the cat's body to his vet to have it looked at and the vet said the remains are VERY indicative of a coyote attack and not a dog.  That would also stand to reason as to the quiet stalking attack on the cat asleep in its bed.  So, if the vet's assessment is correct, then that means there is a coyote in the Bluff Park Elementary School area!  And it is viscious!

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 10/23/07 at 8:22pm

Can you give me the name of the vet or clinic?  If you can't tell by my name, I'm a big-time, long-term cat lover.  I really want to talk to them.  Thank you very much for any info...

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 10/23/07 at 9:09pm

They use Bluff Park Animal Clinic for all their pets so I feel sure that is where he probably took it.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 10/23/07 at 9:18pm

That's where I take my pets too.  I trust them both.  Thank you so much for the info.

IP Logged
kelly
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 10/24/07 at 2:29pm

I just now saw this posting and wanted to let you know that on Friday night Oct. 19 I was returning home and saw a huge coyote on the corner of Park and Chapel.  I was in the car with three other people and none of us could believe what we were seeing.  It was the about as tall as a lab and very skinny and sickly.  It was very late at night and was running across the street at the traffic light.  So sorry about your cat.

Email   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 10/24/07 at 7:52pm

That's very interesting (and disturbing) that we have an actual sighting by Kelly of a coyote on Park and Chapel on the Friday night before my son's cat was killed on Sunday night/Monday morning.  My son has since found out that two cats up the street on Park toward the bluff were killed recently, and that a large group of feral cats that hang out around the Shades Crest Baptist Church area has been dwindling fairly rapidly lately.

It would seem that this coyote has found a feeding ground and is coming around more frequently than we might think....probably every night!  From Kelly's description of the coyote she saw, it is sickly and scraggly looking.  It makes me wonder if it might be rabid.  

What can we do about this animal in our neighborhood?

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/24/07 at 8:51pm

I guess we need to call Animal Control.
I drive down Chapel and Park to get home at night (I work odd hours) so I will keep my eyes open also.  Getting the word out also to neighbors around not to have their pets out unattended and make sure their Rabies and Distemper shots are up to date.  

Also to add to the vet list, we use Alford Ave Vet Hospital. THey specialize in small animals and birds also dogs and cats. We saw Dr. Friddle and Dr. Frederick. I was very happy with them and have always gone there. My rabbit died of cancer about 2 months ago, they did everything they could for her. When she passed they sent me some flowers and a remembrance card.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 10/25/07 at 11:25am

I was asked which vet my son took the cat's remains to for analysis and I responded that he took it to Bluff Park Animal Clinic.  I certainly wasn't trying to promote a certain vet clinic over another and hope no one took it that way!  

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - 10/25/07 at 12:33pm

I just got off the phone with Hoover Animal Control, Officer Wade.

This is the first report he has received on coyotes in Bluff Park, but not the first he has received in Hoover (currently they have sightings in Riverchase).  He is requesting that I e-mail him the link to this page, which I am doing.

He is requesting that any concrete sightings be reported to animal control at 444-7760.  Any information he gathers he will share with his partner (next week).  Once they have determined that there is in fact a coyote problem in Bluff Park (which he says is possible since the weather is getting cooler), and a definite location, they will set up a trap.  They cannot do so until they know exactly where it is.

I have requested to be updated once they have further information, which I will post on this site.

Again, any sightings will need to be called in to 444-7760.  You will most likely get an answering machine.  Leave a message!  Post it here also, so that we have documentation of the calls.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 10/25/07 at 5:44pm

Thank you, Admin.  I was going to call Hoover Animal Control when I got off work today, but you had already done it.  I had looked them up on the web, and it sounded like they did not deal with wild animals, so I'm pleased with the response you got.  Please everyone be diligent, follow Admin's advice, and report any sightings if you feel sure of what you saw.  Posting any suspicious events on this site might also be helpful since they are aware of the site's existence now.  Recap, if you have any other info that might be helpful, maybe you could give them a call.  
I also want to add, about the vet, I was looking for info, and was not attempting to promote any vet.  Recap was responding to my question, and if anyone took his answer or my comment that way, I apologize.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company