"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
03/29/24 at 8:53am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pig Robbed Again (Read 23185 times)
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Pig Robbed Again
11/17/08 at 8:26pm

Anyone heard about this?  Heard it happened Saturday night at closing.  It was another armed robbery.  PLease post if you have any details!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Pig Robbed Again
Reply #1 - 11/18/08 at 8:10am

I'm working on getting details and will post what I can when I get them.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 11/18/08 at 8:45am

We have been contacted by Councilman Gene Smith who advised that he will look into it and let us know when more details become available.  We'll post the info as we receive it.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 11/18/08 at 2:06pm

We didn't receive a follow-up call from anyone, so we went straight to the source and asked them.  Here's what happened:

One of the managers was robbed on Saturday night after the store closed, on his way to his car.  Two individuals robbed him in the alley between Piggly Wiggly and Studio 1.

Hoover PD was on the scene within 3 minutes of the call.  The officer informed the manager that he was on Alford when he received the call.

Thank God the manager was not hurt in this robbery.

The bad:  we still have bad guys coming up to Bluff Park.

The good:  police response was quicker than last time (August 2006 - 12 minutes to respond).

As a forum, we can't really give an opinion on it, so we'll refrain.  It's important that residents of Bluff Park continue to keep our eyes and ears open.

« Last Edit: 11/18/08 at 6:51pm by Bluff Park Forum Admin »  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Matt and Amanda
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 11/18/08 at 3:34pm

I am glad to hear the response time has improved so much over the past 2 years. I think this shows what an involved community can achieve.  

Thanks so much for keeping us informed. This is a great website and a big help.

IP Logged
Mountaintopper
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 11/19/08 at 12:39am

Piggly Wiggly should add a few 500 watt lights in that alley with motion detectors on them so when anyone is there, you see them..  Small investment with a big payoff.  

I use them at home on my deck, backyard & on the workshop & they are a great deterrent to those that like the dark. They are much quiter & cheaper than many of the so called watch dogs we hear at night.  

Please note: (I am a dog owner, 95 lbs. Lab, but he likes living inside, we don't mind, he's a family member, we treat him as such).

Light is the number 1 deterrant to crime.  Video is #2.

THE HANDYMAN
  IP Logged
bparkian
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 11/19/08 at 8:13am

Was the security guard around?  I hope that the guard stays with the closing managers until they are safely in their car.  It is so dark and deserted up there at night.  I agree MORE LIGHTS would help - especially in that alley.  
I wonder if the police have any suspects or if they've arrested anyone.  There are only a few businesses open after 8:00 and it worries me that they are easy targets up there.  Maybe they all need to install video cameras so we can catch these "bad guys".  I'm sure word spreads through the criminal community that BP is an easy robbery at night if no one ever gets caught.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 11/19/08 at 9:45am

Quote from bparkian on 11/19/08 at 8:13am:
Was the security guard around?  I hope that the guard stays with the closing managers until they are safely in their car.  It is so dark and deserted up there at night.  I agree MORE LIGHTS would help - especially in that alley.  
I wonder if the police have any suspects or if they've arrested anyone.  There are only a few businesses open after 8:00 and it worries me that they are easy targets up there.  Maybe they all need to install video cameras so we can catch these "bad guys".  I'm sure word spreads through the criminal community that BP is an easy robbery at night if no one ever gets caught.

Actually, it's quite the opposite.  The Hoover PD does a great job in apprehending the suspects in these cases.  The last time a robbery occured the suspects were in custody within 10 days of the event, thanks to extensive detective work on the part of Hoover PD.  

The key will be to continue the police presence in the area.  The word spreading should be  "don't go up to Bluff Park any more because they have more cops around", which was, and continues to be, our goal.

We're on the right track and have come a long way from 2006, with some small obstacles still in the way.

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 11/20/08 at 2:13pm

In the police responses in Hoover section in the paper it says that there was a robbery in the amount of $6000.  Sounds like money from inside the store - not just on the manager's person as he was getting in the car....  Also, robbery means ARMED.  I'm surprised there aren't more concerned BP residents about this.

IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 11/20/08 at 2:22pm

I think everyone is concerned but there is only so much that can be done without seeming like a neighborhood of vigialantes (sp?).  The best thing that people can do is be aware of their surroundings.  If we notice anything suspicious we should immediately call the non-emergency number for the city, not just sit around and say maybe a neighbor will call.  I'm sure whoever did the robbing lives in the area and probably knew what time the manager would be leaving and that he would be alone.  I'm sure they didn't just wake up one day and say hey, lets rob a grocery store we know nothing about...  Maybe if people would have called and reported weird people around at weird times this wouldn't have happened.

stangviperred   IP Logged
RockviewResident

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 11/20/08 at 3:16pm

Well, the only problem is most everyone is asleep that time of night, not hanging around the Pig.

War Eagle!
  IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - 11/20/08 at 3:39pm

Quote from nickel4al on 11/20/08 at 2:22pm:
I think everyone is concerned but there is only so much that can be done without seeming like a neighborhood of vigialantes (sp?).  The best thing that people can do is be aware of their surroundings.  If we notice anything suspicious we should immediately call the non-emergency number for the city, not just sit around and say maybe a neighbor will call.  I'm sure whoever did the robbing lives in the area and probably knew what time the manager would be leaving and that he would be alone.  I'm sure they didn't just wake up one day and say hey, lets rob a grocery store we know nothing about...  Maybe if people would have called and reported weird people around at weird times this wouldn't have happened.

The non-emergency number is 822-5300. According to Hoover PD, they don't care if you call if you see something or someone suspicious.  The very worst that can happen is that the person(s) is supposed to be there.  This might be a good time to revisit the Neighborhood Watch section of the Bluff Park web site and start forming more Neighborhood Watch blocks.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bamafan501
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 11/20/08 at 5:47pm

Quote from fitgrl on 11/20/08 at 2:13pm:
In the police responses in Hoover section in the paper it says that there was a robbery in the amount of $6000.  Sounds like money from inside the store - not just on the manager's person as he was getting in the car....  Also, robbery means ARMED.  I'm surprised there aren't more concerned BP residents about this.  

Robbery does not actually always mean armed robbery.  If i were to physically take something from you just by force it would be considered a robbery.  Secondly, the manager could have had the store's money on his person to take to the bank after closing.

Email   IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #13 - 11/22/08 at 9:44am

Just to clarify after speaking specifically to the manager himself...

Leaving around 10:30 at night
Two men, faces covered, guns drawn
Forced to go back inside and empty all the money that was at the Pig
He was not personally robbed, Piggly Wiggly was

This could have had a much more tragic ending and that is what scares me.  It is good that this didn't happen during store hours but it was still an innocent resident of Bluff Park whose life was threatened.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - 11/22/08 at 10:15am

Quote from fitgrl on 11/22/08 at 9:44am:
Just to clarify after speaking specifically to the manager himself...

Leaving around 10:30 at night
Two men, faces covered, guns drawn
Forced to go back inside and empty all the money that was at the Pig
He was not personally robbed, Piggly Wiggly was

This could have had a much more tragic ending and that is what scares me.  It is good that this didn't happen during store hours but it was still an innocent resident of Bluff Park whose life was threatened.  

I suppose I didn't ask enough questions.  Good work on the follow up.

Solutions?

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company