"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/24/24 at 10:02am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Road Closure - Valley Street (Read 63235 times)
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Road Closure - Valley Street
Reply #75 - 02/23/11 at 1:56pm

Quote from ponder on 02/23/11 at 9:20am:
Quote from Recap on 02/22/11 at 8:11pm:
Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 02/22/11 at 6:23pm:
Road is open for traffic.  Drove on it for the first time.  Traffic lights were still flashing.

Finally.

When I came Alford at 4:00 the Fancher end didn't have barricades but I went the detour route anyway because I could see orange and white barrels in the street near the traffic lights.  Lots of people did the same as me, but lots of people went straight onto Fancher.  When I got around to Valley there were barricades in place but not totally blocking the intersection.  I guess I'll see if those barricades are gone in the morning.  I sure don't want to get a ticket for driving on the road "too soon".

I did the same thing yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if the road was completely open or not, so I took the detour. It looks like the barricades are only blocking the center median down by Valley St. I came down Valley St. this morning, and other cars were taking the new road, so I followed them. I still don't understand the yield sign coming off of Valley, but I assume the road is open until they put the road blocks back up to finish the traffic lights?

The yield sign at Valley & Fancher/Tyler appears to be for people in the right turn lane to yield to left turners coming from Shades Crest.  Since when were left-turners given the right of way on a main road when there is no traffic light?  Based on the 12 years I have lived in Bluff Park and travelled that intersection twice a day, I think a traffic light or three way stop is going to be needed there.   It's going to be interesting to see if this simple little intersection stays the malfunction junction it's always been.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #76 - 03/06/11 at 7:09pm

Anyone have any idea why the barrels are blocking the left turn lane from Fancher onto Valley?  Doesn't make sense to me why this lane is being barricaded.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #77 - 03/10/11 at 8:29am

I like this intersection.  I don’t know if it saves any time, but it is easy to get through and you don’t have to worry about somebody t-boning you like the old one.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #78 - 03/10/11 at 9:18am

saves a bunch of time over the old intersection that use to back up down Valley Ave. in the mornings.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #79 - 03/10/11 at 11:19am

Agree with all.  Though it took a lot longer than it should have to finish, this design is a drastic improvement over the old clusterfudge.

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #80 - 03/11/11 at 12:54am

To be honest, it looks weird driving down Alford/Fancher from 65, where its a normal one lane back and forth opposite direction residential street, then all of a sudden it widens, and the gets narrow again. I was talking to somebody, and he was surprised that the road was placed there and why was the house (one you see before the road turns from Fancher to Tyler), not demolished. I told him that maybe somebody lived there, maybe its historic, or it just wasn't the right fit. I will see in the morning time, If I am at the light and its red, If I am on Tyler trying to right onto fancher/alford, I need to be careful with cars going straight on alford coming from my left, especially if they are driving fast. What I also don't understand is why is it if you are on Alford coming from 65, and you are planning on turning left at the light to connect to Tyler, why is there a left turn arrow on the ground, that if somebody were to turn exactly where that arrow was they would turn up on to concrete and into somebody's home. Then there is another arrow right where it should be at the light. Was the one before that an accident, or is it a warning arrow?

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #81 - 03/11/11 at 12:16pm

Quote from pekaboo on 03/11/11 at 12:54am:
I was talking to somebody, and he was surprised that the road was placed there and why was the house (one you see before the road turns from Fancher to Tyler), not demolished. I told him that maybe somebody lived there, maybe its historic, or it just wasn't the right fit.

There were 2 home bought by the city and demolished (next to the one you are talking about) to make way for the road. The one you are talking about is lived in and was not part of the original plan. I want to say it had something to do with a right of way...

Email WWW   IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #82 - 03/14/11 at 12:34pm

Quote from pekaboo on 03/11/11 at 12:54am:
What I also don't understand is why is it if you are on Alford coming from 65, and you are planning on turning left at the light to connect to Tyler, why is there a left turn arrow on the ground, that if somebody were to turn exactly where that arrow was they would turn up on to concrete and into somebody's home. Then there is another arrow right where it should be at the light. Was the one before that an accident, or is it a warning arrow?

This is called a warning arrow...they are very common around most parts of the city/state/country.  Most people realize you don't turn where the arrows are, but instead where the road is.

stangviperred   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company