"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/24/24 at 5:18pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
coyote! (Read 10554 times)
kscott
YaBB Newbies

ROLL TIDE!

coyote!
12/22/11 at 2:51pm

There is a coyote wandering around Bluff Park....I think I heard it kill a small dog last night...someone please shoot it!

IP Logged
bluffparkresident
YaBB Newbies

Re: coyote!
Reply #1 - 12/22/11 at 3:48pm

What area of Bluff Park?

IP Logged
kscott
YaBB Newbies

ROLL TIDE!

Reply #2 - 12/23/11 at 10:30am

Quote from asbcor on 12/22/11 at 3:48pm:
What area of Bluff Park?

Above the Shades Mountain Plaza

IP Logged
BPLifer 2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 12/23/11 at 2:36pm

Quote from kscott on 12/23/11 at 10:30am:
What area of Bluff Park?

Oh crap.  Like the Savoy/Rayburn/Lacy area?

WWW   IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 12/25/11 at 6:37pm

They're here and shooting one won't make a dent in their population.  I've lost a couple of cats to coyotes and my brother who lives in Altadena lost his dog to one. cry

Email   IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #5 - 12/26/11 at 12:03am

I was told by somebody that they had heard of the Bluff Park areas that have been mentioned on here about coyote sightings or evidence of them being in the area. She had also told me that she had heard of some being near a water tower in the Rocky Ridge are. Another situation she told me of is how her friend who has a house on Poinciana in Homewood backs up to the interstate; has a dachshund that was more than likely mauled by a coyote.

I did some reading on line and I can try to find the links if anybody is interested, but there are people who  trap wild animals such as Coyotes, Raccoons, Possums, etc. Another site mentions putting bad smelling stuff like tennis shoes with ammonia on them. Coyotes have a keen sense of smell and if they smell something foul they tend to move away from it.

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #6 - 12/26/11 at 12:04am

I was told by somebody that they had heard of the Bluff Park areas that have been mentioned on here about coyote sightings or evidence of them being in the area. She had also told me that she had heard of some being near a water tower in the Rocky Ridge are. Another situation she told me of is how her friend who has a house on Poinciana in Homewood backs up to the interstate; has a dachshund that was more than likely mauled by a coyote.

I did some reading on line and I can try to find the links if anybody is interested, but there are people who  trap wild animals such as Coyotes, Raccoons, Possums, etc. Another site mentions putting bad smelling stuff like tennis shoes with ammonia on them. Coyotes have a keen sense of smell and if they smell something foul they tend to move away from it.

IP Logged
kscott
YaBB Newbies

ROLL TIDE!

Reply #7 - 12/27/11 at 12:18pm

Quote from BPLifer 2 on 12/23/11 at 2:36pm:
Quote from kscott on 12/23/11 at 10:30am:
What area of Bluff Park?

Oh crap.  Like the Savoy/Rayburn/Lacy area?

Yes, I hope you didn't lose a dog last Wednesday night   cry

IP Logged
BPLC

You grow it, we mow
it!

Reply #8 - 12/27/11 at 3:52pm

I have seen several coyotes (or it could be the same one) running around around the Farley area over the last few years.

Email   IP Logged
kscott
YaBB Newbies

ROLL TIDE!

Reply #9 - 12/28/11 at 10:45am

I heard that horrible coyote get another small dog this morning at 2:40 am!  He is
a killing machine!   Angry Angry Angry Angry  He is huge and very bold as I saw him loping
through my yard Sunday before last in the middle of the afternoon.  Everyone take
care of your pets

IP Logged
bluffparkresident
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 12/29/11 at 9:29pm

I sent you a PM earlier today, but I obviously had not paid close enough attention to your last post.  You clearly said the coyote had been spotted in the daytime....very scary!

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #11 - 12/30/11 at 9:12am

Hoover City Animal Control
444-7760

I don't know if they can do anything with it being a wild animal but they can tell you who can.  

May also want to try the Alabama Fish and Game office (334) 242-3486 for some ideas.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Leo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 01/01/12 at 12:43am

AngryComing home after celebrating the bringing in of the new year ( I was not drunk) there was a coyote in the middle of the road at the intersection where Alford Ave and Shadybrook Ln intersect. I had to stop and let him slow walk away. HE IS BOLD

IP Logged
blissfull
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 01/28/12 at 9:00am

Early Friday morning (around 3:30am) my family and I were awakened to the horrible sounds of death and howling.  I didn't see it but it was evident that something(s) wild were killing a small dog.  The sound was horrifying.

Friday afternoon, I asked my neighbor about it.  Around the same time (3:20am) she saw 3-4 "dog-like" animals running through her side yard.  She said the trampling noise they made awoke her.

I can only conclude that our "coyote" is now a pack (although I did not see it).  

I called 911 Friday morning.  They did send out an officer.  I have also left a message for Officer Foreman.  I also called Animal Control.

Animal Control said that the coyote were here first and that by moving in onto their land, we have to expect things like this.  
Not to mention that this is inaccurate - I strongly disagree.  

I was also told by Animal Control that the pack of coyote will leave my children alone.  
Really?  

There is a pack of wild animals running through our neighborhoods at night killing things.  They are probably eating other things we leave outside and I shudder to think where they might be sleeping.

Please be careful.

IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 01/30/12 at 9:35pm

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/coyotes_in_suburban_alabama_ar.html

This article was written last year. Sounds like the coyotes are here to stay. Ugh.

Head's up about a few main points in article:
-the fact we are seeing them is really rare it seems bc most people don't according to article and pets are often not harmed unless coyotes are "...starving, injured, diseased or harassed."
-Coyotes eat dog/cat food left out on porches
-They like sweet Alabama watermelon patches (there go that little crop I was going to plant in my garden this year)

After looking at pictures I think I saw one on my street and thought it was a dog. Good gravy!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company