"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/25/24 at 6:04pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
speeding and running stop signs on Shades Crest (Read 3359 times)
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

speeding and running stop signs on Shades Crest
12/28/11 at 4:27pm

Would it be possible for Hoover PD to put an officer along Shades Crest a few times a month to cut down on speeders and those that run stop signs?
Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: speeding and running stop signs on Shades Cres
Reply #1 - 12/28/11 at 5:39pm

teechur, don't be naive - HPD has no interest in responding to these type requests. They are too busy working other areas of hoover, why, they only have two officers patrolling our beat and it is the largest beat in Hoover. Good luck.

Email   IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 12/28/11 at 9:32pm

I believe they are sensitive to public concern.  I believe that if enough people express concern then they will be responsive.  It may take a unified voice though.  It seems to me that we really don't have a cohesiveness that is necessary to be effective in addressing this or any other issue.

Email   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 12/29/11 at 5:48am

Quote from teeechur on 12/28/11 at 9:32pm:
I believe they are sensitive to public concern.  I believe that if enough people express concern then they will be responsive.  It may take a unified voice though.  It seems to me that we really don't have a cohesiveness that is necessary to be effective in addressing this or any other issue.

The stop sign issue is one of the most talked about topics on the forum since 2006, and it has been addressed countless times with HPD.  harvardmba is correct in that 30 Beat (Bluff Park's zone patrolled by HPD) is one of the largest in Hoover, however, there is one officer, not two, patrolling it.  We have addressed the Hoover City Council and the mayor's office to cut 30 Beat in half, but that will require an annual increase of $750,000 to the budget to fund an additional beat, which in these economic times won't happen.

We think Bluff Park is one of the best places in the world to live.  We also think that Bluff Park drivers are some of the most inconsiderate drivers in the world in the way they (dont') obey traffic laws.  And it's not just teens, but also moms (some who have a high standing in the community), dads, grandpas and grandmas.  The concept of stop signs escapes the majority of Bluff Park residents, as does the concept of a residential speed limit.  

Hoover PD is aware of our drivers.  They setup their speed traps on a regular basis and then Bluff Park residents complain that they are getting expensive tickets for petty offenses.  The speed traps go away, and our drivers go back to their usual (bad) habits.

The truth hurts, I know, but nonetheless it is the truth.  Until we take personal responsibility for our poor driving habits and begin to ask our neighbors to do the same the problem won't change.  Unless, of course, it involves a fatality of a child being hit by a stop-sign-runner.  The increase of children in Bluff Park (Bluff Park Elementary is adding on because of increase in student population) and the decrease of driver responsibility will make that last sentence a "when" issue, not an "if" issue.  And only then will some action be taken.  

teechur, we have spoken to HPD over and over and over and over.  They are spread out too thin to respond effectively to these issues, and until the economy improves, won't be able to address it effectively.  No, frankly, it all starts at home.  Don't look to HPD to fix the problem.  Look to your neighbor to stop being the problem.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 12/29/11 at 8:12am

Call me naive, but I think if enough people care something will get done.  Care about the quality of our community by expecting more.  When people stop throwing trash out of car windows, when people start cleaning up their yards and homes, when we expect nothing less than that the city allots enough police to do their jobs, then maybe things will change.  I work along the Valleydale / 119 corridor and I see Hoover police everywhere down there.  The status quo will prevail as long as we accept it.

Email   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 12/29/11 at 8:58am

Quote from teeechur on 12/29/11 at 8:12am:
Call me naive, but I think if enough people care something will get done.  Care about the quality of our community by expecting more.  When people stop throwing trash out of car windows, when people start cleaning up their yards and homes, when we expect nothing less than that the city allots enough police to do their jobs, then maybe things will change.  I work along the Valleydale / 119 corridor and I see Hoover police everywhere down there.  The status quo will prevail as long as we accept it.

Here is where you hit the nail right on the head:  "...if enough people care something will get done."  Traffic issues are not a priority to Bluff Park residents.  Stop signs are a nuisance.  The speed limit is a hindrance to getting things done, like making the front yard look pretty.

Example:  The average stop sign is 24" in diameter.  There is an intersection in Bluff Park that has more people run the stop sign than most others.  The city installed a 48" stop sign, the largest allowed for a residential area, thinking that would help the situation.  Nope.  No change.  And what's really sad about that particular intersection is the child population there.  One 4 year-old with lots of friends on one side of the stop sign.  A 3 year-old on the other side.  Three brothers, ages 11, 8 and 3 across the street.  Sometimes there are as many as 20 kids playing around the homes surrounding that stop sign, but they can't be seen due to obstructions such as boulders, trees, cars, etc. I came on this intersection yesterday and, being aware of the number of kids there, slowed to about 15 mph as I approached the stop sign.  About 200' before the sign, I was able to see bicycle tires behind a car that was parked on the side of the road on the opposite side of where I was traveling, so I slowed down even more.  Just as I came up on the car, a bicycle being ridden by an 8 year old boy darted out from behind the car into the street.  I was ready for it and was able to stop.   Cars barrel down the street going in excess of 30 mph, barely slow down for the stop sign before turning right.  One day, teechur, there will be a horrible tragedy at that intersection.  Some residents will blame the parents for not keeping their children from staying in their yard (they have done that one this forum before).  

The reason you see more Tahoes (the vehicles that Hoover PD uses) in other areas of Hoover than in Bluff Park is due to need.  The last place you want to get stopped for a traffic violation if you're "suspicious looking" is in the southern part of Hoover.  Lorna Road/Galleria area usually has 3+ units patrolling.  If a car is stopped, it's usually surrounded by all three Tahoes within minutes.  As a Bluff Park residents, it's disheartening to see so many resources dedicated to that area, yet our area is left ignored.  But it is what it is.  Police are needed where the criminals are, not where the traffic violators are.

teechur, if you'd like to have a community meeting dedicated to traffic enforcement, let us know and we'll get it together.  We'll give you the venue, invite those that can make a difference and put out the press releases to the media.  You'll have all of our resources at your disposal.  Just don't be disappointed at the turnout.  Sometimes people don't like to hear bad things about themselves.

Let me tell you  what will happen, though, if you get something done:  For about a week motor units (motorcyle police officers) will setup radar on Park Avenue by Shades Crest Church, on Chapel Road, just past Albemarle Drive, and on Shades Crest Road between Chapel and Park Avenue.  Lots and lots of tickets will be written for people exceeding the speed limit.  Lots and lots of angry residents will post about Hoover PD having nothing better to do than to write tickets.  Lots and lots of calls will be fielded by Hoover PD's PR department, and they'll have to explain that they only set up speed enforcement zones when they receive complaints.  And then, after about 7-10 days it will be over with.  People will heed the traffic laws for about a week or two and then they will go back to normal.

teechur, we agree with you.  Unfortunately we've seen it before.  Been there.  Done that.  Got the t-shirt.  Nothing will change until the population decides IT needs to change.  And currently they don't have a problem with how they are driving.

Again, if you'd like to have a community meeting about traffic, send us a PM or an e-mail and we'll get it setup for you, with you or us mediating it - your choice.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
blissfull
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 12/29/11 at 10:35am

By any chance has anyone spoken to the parents of the eight year old?  I am not going to judge parenting (and am not looking to discuss it in an open forum such as this) but IF an eight year old child is making decisions that anyone foresees could lead to a tragedy isn't it our responsibility to make sure the child knows to "look both ways" and to be more aware of cars?

I cannot imagine a parent who wouldn't want to know that his/her child was almost the vicitim of a tragedy.  

I am a very hands on parent and my children are rarely out of my sight but if one of my kids was out within in the community and did something that risked his/her life and the adults involved didn't inform me - I would be mortified.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 12/29/11 at 8:34pm

Quote from blissfull on 12/29/11 at 10:35am:
By any chance has anyone spoken to the parents of the eight year old?  I am not going to judge parenting (and am not looking to discuss it in an open forum such as this) but IF an eight year old child is making decisions that anyone foresees could lead to a tragedy isn't it our responsibility to make sure the child knows to "look both ways" and to be more aware of cars?

I cannot imagine a parent who wouldn't want to know that his/her child was almost the vicitim of a tragedy.

I am a very hands on parent and my children are rarely out of my sight but if one of my kids was out within in the community and did something that risked his/her life and the adults involved didn't inform me - I would be mortified.

Great question, and yes, they were notified right away.  But what if a motorist just went on by without letting them know?  Many people would just go by and not let anyone know.  

Really, the point of the story is that our community is getting younger in demographics, and we need to be aware of this as we travel about the area.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company