"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
03/29/24 at 4:49am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shooting at Ashford Townhomes (Updated 1/22/13) (Read 11579 times)
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Shooting at Ashford Townhomes (Updated 1/22/13
Reply #15 - 01/28/13 at 2:42pm

The Ashford Townhomes had 389 call-outs in 2012?  That's more than 1 per day.  Is that normal?

I have long wished that those apartments would go away.  These apartments are a big problem.  We are moving to another house, and likely another part of OTM Birmingham, in large part because of these apartments.  My neighbors across the street are doing the same for the exact same reason.  We have safety concerns, and we are also concerned that the crime is detrimentally impacting our property values.

IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 01/30/13 at 7:34pm

I emphatically third bpresident 's proposal that the apartments and townhomes be razed. City of Homewood also purchased a large sketchy apartment complex. They demolished it and put a nice school in its place.   The tax revenue for whatever property replaced the apartments and townhomes would need to be equal to or greater than that of what is there now.  If I am not mistaken, there exists a law permitting either the residents in an area blighted by a hotel or their local government to bring suit against the owner for devaluation of property. I wonder if this can be applied to rental properties?
having a cop sitting in the substation is a waste of resources.  I do know you can hire off duty Jefferson County Deputies for $20.00/hour to work off duty.  That's 100 bucks for five hours of law enforcement in whatever area you choose.  They absolutely can enforce all state laws inside the city.   I seriously considered it when the Burglaries were happening.  Hoover has excellent officers but one cop for everything between I65 and 150 from shades crest to Hwy 31 can only do so much. Neighborhood watch is a very effective tool, when people are home to watch.  
Maybe we need a city council person who has a personal interest in Bluff Park.  Serniglia was a little ambitious shooting for Mayor, but council seat should be well within reach.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - 01/31/13 at 5:34am

Quote from _anonymous_ on 01/30/13 at 7:34pm:
I emphatically third bpresident 's proposal that the apartments and townhomes be razed. City of Homewood also purchased a large sketchy apartment complex. They demolished it and put a nice school in its place.   The tax revenue for whatever property replaced the apartments and townhomes would need to be equal to or greater than that of what is there now.  If I am not mistaken, there exists a law permitting either the residents in an area blighted by a hotel or their local government to bring suit against the owner for devaluation of property. I wonder if this can be applied to rental properties?
having a cop sitting in the substation is a waste of resources.  I do know you can hire off duty Jefferson County Deputies for $20.00/hour to work off duty.  That's 100 bucks for five hours of law enforcement in whatever area you choose.  They absolutely can enforce all state laws inside the city.   I seriously considered it when the Burglaries were happening.  Hoover has excellent officers but one cop for everything between I65 and 150 from shades crest to Hwy 31 can only do so much. Neighborhood watch is a very effective tool, when people are home to watch.  
Maybe we need a city council person who has a personal interest in Bluff Park.  Serniglia was a little ambitious shooting for Mayor, but council seat should be well within reach.

Couple of corrections, but good post.  Jason ran for City Council, not mayor.  He ran against John Greene, who lives in Bluff Park.  Gene Smith also lives in Bluff Park.  Although they are regular readers of the forum (and forum members), we'll send them an e-mail to make sure they have checked out what folks have been saying lately.

In case anyone would like to speak to them about this in person, there will be a presentation of Heather's book about Bluff Park at the Feb. 4 council meeting, so there will be focus on Bluff Park at the time.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 02/01/13 at 9:00am

SORRY I couldn't find an Alabama case, but this is what I was referring to:  

http://dirt.umkc.edu/dd032896.htm  

Several years ago, a California court held that adjacent landowners stated a cause of action in nuisance against the San Francisco Housing Authority when they alleged that the Authority had failed to take steps to insure that criminal elements did not frequent its premises, either as tenants or visitors. In that case, the alleged injury was depreciation in property values resulting from criminal acts primarily off the Housing Authority's premises. Lew v. Superior Court, 25 Cal. Rptr. 2d 42 (Cal. Ct. App. 1993).

IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 04/17/13 at 6:03pm

Any updates?

IP Logged
teatucker

Welsh with no tail

Reply #20 - 04/18/13 at 12:49pm

Quote from bpresident on 01/25/13 at 6:59am:
Quote from overhere on 01/25/13 at 6:36am:
Okay, I just have to ask. Looking at the call outs for HPD to Ashford for 2012, wouldn't it make sense to use the Police substation for more than just a rest stop? Bluff Park has got to be one of if not the least covered areas that HPD has and this document pretty much confirms that. Angry

How about a different thought:  The City of Hoover purchased an entire apartment complex at the corner of Lorna Road and Patton Chapel Road.  They then terminated all leases.  Then they demolished the entire complex.  Now construction has begun on a Neighborhood Walmart.  It was a win-win for everyone.

Perhaps we need to begin to think about having a nice park in the area of Tyler Road...

I will also second that (or 4th it)  
Just looking at the 2012 calls http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/CFSAshford2012.pdf  
This is just a breading ground for problems and more crime to move in our nice neighborhood. Sorry, but nothing good can come from the apartments staying.

I vote for a park.

IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 04/18/13 at 1:43pm

Add me to the "Ashford Townhomes are bad for Bluff Park" crowd.  A park sounds great!  A patient of mine is a contractor, and he was repairing some fire walls in some of the Ashford units back in the Fall.  He noticed several other units with cracks/visible wear in the buildings.  The owner or landlord was talking to him and asked what he, as a professional contractor, thought should be done to fix it.  The contrator told him he should have the creek that runs through the property dammed up to create a lake.

true story

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
overhere
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 04/18/13 at 7:03pm

Where's the " like " button on this site? Grin

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #23 - 04/18/13 at 9:21pm

My friend has lived in Ashford for over 10 years. long story. He has tried to talk to people about taking them down or making them all nice one bedrooms. The two bedroom concept they have is ridiculous. I guess if they do tear down the apartments where are the tenants going to move. Some might have an easier time, others do not. Ashford is owned by Abbey Residential, so that could affect the out come.

IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #24 - 04/19/13 at 12:20pm

Hello everyone,
     I checked with the Detective assigned to the case and he informed me the District Attorney’s Office dropped all charges against the shooter after finishing their investigation.  

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
PastAndPresents
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #25 - 04/28/13 at 8:37pm

I am sure I am not the only person interested in knowing why the charges were dropped....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company