"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/23/24 at 1:50pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Open Letter to AL.com regarding Jon Anderson (Read 2578 times)
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Open Letter to AL.com regarding Jon Anderson
08/19/15 at 4:05pm

An Open Letter to Michelle Holmes, Vice-President of Content al.com (mholmes@al.com) , David Magee, Director of Community News al.com (dmagee@al.com), Alex Walsh, Birmingham News Manager, al.com (awalsh@al.com)

To:       Michelle Holmes, Vice President of Content, Alabama Media Group
           David Magree, Director of Community News, Alabama Media Group
           Alex Walsh, Birmingham News Manager, Alabama Media Group

I am writing on behalf of the Bluff Park community of Hoover, Alabama in response to the news that several reporters for al.com were terminated yesterday, including Hoover reporter Jon Anderson.

After the news broke that al.com had decided to terminate Jon, the social media pages started buzzing.  Those posting were disappointed, confused, sad, not to mention angry at al.com for this decision to fire Jon.

As Vice President of Content, Ms. Holmes, you should be interested in this.  As Director of Community News, Mr. Magee, this should raise a flag for you.  As Birmingham News Manager, Mr. Walsh, this would fall in your area as well.

You see, Jon wasn't just a "reporter" who did a nightly story and called it a day.  Jon researches his stories.  He makes sure to get all of the facts before sending it to an editor.  He looks at all sides.  

I know this because I was very involved in the Hoover Bus story back in 2013-2014 (http://topics.al.com/tag/Hoover%20school%20bus%20cuts/index.html) .  Jon covered the story from the time that Mr. Craig, then the superintendent of Hoover City Schools made the assine decision to cut bus service, to just last week when Dr. Kathy Murphy, the new Hoover City Schools superintendent put the issue to rest when she put forth the recommendation to rescind bus fees.  A two year saga was covered in precise detail by Jon.

But Jon didn't stop with the Hoover Story-of-the-Week.  He simultaneously covered other issues in Hoover, at times having three or four major articles in the day's news on al.com.

When a reporter puts that much into the area he covers, something interesting happens:  readers begin to trust the writer.  In today's world of media bias, believing the content of an article, and trusting the writer is rare.  Very rare.  Jon became trusted by Hoover's residents and Hoover's leaders, from the city council to the mayor's office to city departments.

But Jon didn't stop at major events in his writing.  Jon also took on public interest stories, such as local books on Bluff Park and Hoover, interviewing the author and how the books came about. Many reporters are just looking for the "big story" in the community.  Jon wrote about the community as if it was a big story.  As if it was the only story.  And Hoover residents appreciated that.

Hoover is the sixth largest city in Alabama.  Our demographics range from poverty income level to very wealthy.  I'm guessing that your advertisers covet the Hoover shopper.  And since you're in the business of raising revenue by the sales of ad-space, one would have to say that having someone of Jon's caliber on your writing staff is ultimately a huge benefit for al.com.

I've lived in Hoover for over 25 years.  I've dealt with the media on a regular basis.  I've seen Jon go from a reporter in Hoover to editor of the Hoover section back to reporter.  I've never met a more professional writer.

I'm asking the three of you, on behalf of the residents of Bluff Park, to reconsider your termination of Jon Anderson.  Bluff Park needs Jon.  Hoover needs Jon.  And ultimately al.com needs Jon.

Sincerely,
Robin F. Schultz  
BluffParkAL.org
"For, about, and by Bluff Park, Alabama"
V. 205.201.0389
F. 928.244.4879
Facebook - Facebook.com/bluffparkal.org
Twitter - @BluffParkAL
www.BluffParkAL.org
info@bluffparkal.org

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company