"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 5:24pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
We need street lights (Read 2194 times)
PharmD
Ex Member

We need street lights
05/29/07 at 5:35pm

Does anyone else think Bluff Park needs more street lights? I live in the Turtle Creek/Rayburn/Hawksbury area and have notice that there aren't very many street lights. Walking thru in the evening it is pitch black. And with the disregard to speed limits, it is a health hazard to stroll the neighborhood after dark. I have only lived in bluff park for just over a year and wonder if any discussion has ever been come up about this?

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: We need street lights
Reply #1 - 05/29/07 at 6:28pm

I agree with your assessment of the street lighting situation.

About four weeks ago I spoke to the engineering department regarding this issue.  The reason for contacting them was to find out how the study turned out regarding the Bluff Park business district.  But that's another post altogether.  I asked him specifically about street lighting in Bluff Park, that some parts are, as you say, pretty dark.

The response:  It's your problem, not the city's.  If you want additional lighting, contact Alabama Power Company and they will install a light outside of your home (provided you have a pole) and you will pay for it on your monthly power bill.  

I figure if we can get every third house with a pole in the front to get the lighting, we'd be in good shape.  Who wants to be the first?

Tomorrow I'll call the city to find out the person's name who I spoke with (I forgot Tim's last name, but it starts with a "W").  

IP Logged
bluffparkclassic
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/29/07 at 8:05pm

unless prices have gone thru the roof, it should be very affordable to have the power company to put a street light up on an exsisting pole. They should be able to quote you a price.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/29/07 at 10:22pm

yes this is an option, my Grandmother had one put up on a poll in her backyard. It is very bright and comes on when the sun goes down (she does not have to turn it on) I dont know how much it cost per month, she is not in BP but is in Hoover.

also, there was some talk about street lamps on Park Ave with the sidewalk project but that was back at the mtg on the feasibility study. There was not much info about it, just that it was part of it.  You can check my story on Park Ave sidewalks at the mail Bluff Park page under my corner. Robin the webmaster might have some more insight to it, but I have not heard anything about it and my ear is close to the ground.

Cool

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/07 at 7:56pm

Well it just occurred to me as I drove down my street today- no one has a pole in their front yard.

IP Logged
MtnMom
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 06/28/07 at 9:26am

His name is Tim Westhoven and he is the Executive Director for the Mayor.  If you want anything done, call Tim!

MtnMom

Quote from bpresident on 05/29/07 at 6:28pm:
I agree with your assessment of the street lighting situation.

About four weeks ago I spoke to the engineering department regarding this issue.  The reason for contacting them was to find out how the study turned out regarding the Bluff Park business district.  But that's another post altogether.  I asked him specifically about street lighting in Bluff Park, that some parts are, as you say, pretty dark.

The response:  It's your problem, not the city's.  If you want additional lighting, contact Alabama Power Company and they will install a light outside of your home (provided you have a pole) and you will pay for it on your monthly power bill.  

I figure if we can get every third house with a pole in the front to get the lighting, we'd be in good shape.  Who wants to be the first?

Tomorrow I'll call the city to find out the person's name who I spoke with (I forgot Tim's last name, but it starts with a "W").  

IP Logged
roxy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 09/26/07 at 4:30pm

I realize this subject hasn't had a response in a long time ... But I was going thru some of the forum subjects and came across this one . I thought this info. might help ~

I live on Park Ave. and  have had a street light for almost 20 yrs.
It is attached to the power pole  that is in front of our house. It use to be $5.00 ( years ago )  but currently we pay $7.12 a month, a  separate bill marked "lighting" from Alabama Power. We don't have a switch, it comes on automatically which I like.
I have no idea what we paid to have it attached to the pole ?!?
I would like to see more lighting on the sidewalks  
especially with the time about to change.
 so hope this helps. Smiley

roxy roxy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company