"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 5:09pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mosquitos (Read 2069 times)
Doc
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Mosquitos
07/31/07 at 9:00pm

It is clear that mosquitos are a problem in many areas of Bluff Park, and elsewhere in Hoover.  Does anyone know what steps could be taken to have the City of Hoover spray for mosquitos.  I know that both Vestavia and Homewood do spray.  This does not seem like an unreasonable request to ask of our city council, though it would likely cost a fair amount up front.  I am a novice at trying to suggest changes to city government, but clearly some on this forum have experience.  So how would one go about making such a request?  Of course I am making an assumption that others might want this to occur also, which may not be the case.

Thanks

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Mosquitos
Reply #1 - 07/31/07 at 9:33pm

Doc, I was not aware that spraying took place in Alabama.  I grew up in South Florida and we had the mosquito spray truck going up and down the streets spraying this nasty smelling stuff constantly.  Ah, memories...

But to anwer your question, you have several options on how to get the city to do something about it.  First, you can call the city and find out if they are spraying already, just not around our neighborhood and, if so, why not around Bluff Park.  Second, you can call the Mayor's Office (444-7510) and ask to have one of the council members call you back.  Councilman Gene Smith lives in Bluff Park and is pretty good about calling folks back.  He can also be reached via e-mail at gsmith3rd@aol.com.  Or you could attend a council meeting and bring the topic up.  Full information on the council and their meetings can be found here:

http://www.hooveral.org/Default.asp?ID=88&pg=City+Council

Hope this helped.

IP Logged
Doc
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 07/31/07 at 9:51pm

Thanks Pres.  I lived in Tuscaloosa several years ago, and they sprayed for mosquitoes there as well.  I don't recall any foul odor.  Perhaps technology has improved.  Anyway, thanks for the ideas.  I will follow-up and see what I find out.

Thanks

IP Logged
apple blossom
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 08/01/07 at 5:14am

Quote from Doc on 07/31/07 at 9:00pm:
It is clear that mosquitos are a problem in many areas of Bluff Park, and elsewhere in Hoover.  Does anyone know what steps could be taken to have the City of Hoover spray for mosquitos.  I know that both Vestavia and Homewood do spray.  This does not seem like an unreasonable request to ask of our city council, though it would likely cost a fair amount up front.  I am a novice at trying to suggest changes to city government, but clearly some on this forum have experience.  So how would one go about making such a request?  Of course I am making an assumption that others might want this to occur also, which may not be the case.

Thanks

Mosquito Hot Line 444-7772 (444-SPRA)  the City has been straying for years.  
Leave your address and someone will spray your street.  Mosquito trucks run every day between 2 am and 5 am.  I've seen the mosquito truck spraying my street around 5:30 AM.  OR call 444-7543 (Public Works) and your address will be given to one of the drivers for the next AM run.    Also the Public Works Dept. have the mosquito pellets you can put in open ditches -  they are located on the east side of the Public Safety Center next to the jail.  Office hours are 7 to 4..  

IP Logged
CG4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 08/01/07 at 2:32pm

I too, have seen the mosquito spray truck out in the wee hours of the morning. Not this year, but a few times last year. I have noticed many less mosquitos this year in general, due to the drought I suppose.  

For some reason I thought this was handled by Jefferson County (or Shelby) - maybe it was in years past. I guess with the West Nile / Bird flu concerns last year the Department of Health was putting out more propaganda.  

ETA:  

Here's Jefferson County's website info:  
http://jeffco.jccal.org/portal/page?_pageid=133,52033,133_52069:133_52076&_d ad=portal&_schema=PORTAL  

You might have better response from City of Hoover, but if not there are options.

IP Logged
ShadesCrestDweller
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 08/12/07 at 10:27am

I am really glad to know that there is a number to call. The lot next to my house is a jungle so I cannot go out in the evening without getting carried off by mosquitos.  Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company