"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/01/24 at 6:21am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homewood Police Phone Call (Read 3732 times)
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Homewood Police Phone Call
06/10/09 at 5:12pm

At 4:50 today I received a recorded message from the Homewood Police Department that they are warning everyone to be on the lookout for a white male and female who escaped from them and to call if they are sighted anywhere.  The message only played once and it was a "digital" voice so it was difficult to understand and to remember all the details, but I do remember the male is 5'9" with long hair and the female has a tattoo on her ankle.

I thought it was strange to get a call from Homewood since I live in Hoover and, especially so, since my phone number is unlisted, but my caller ID shows it was legitimately from the City of Homewood.  This must be a very bad pair, and they are warning everyone in the metro area to be on the lookout for these two can call if they are spotted.    

I'm going to go watch the local news to see if I can find out anymore about this.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Homewood Police Phone Call
Reply #1 - 06/10/09 at 7:13pm

Nothing on the local news...at least not on Fox 6.  Very strange...

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 8:58pm

Here's the message:

"This is a message from the Homewood Police Department.  If you see anyone with these descriptions please call our office at 879-2101.  The descriptions are as follows: a white male 5 feet 9 inches tall with dirty pants and no shirt, long hair in a pony tail, medium build, a white female, 5 feet 6 inches tall with red hair and blue eyes, with a tatoo on the right ankle.  These individuals have escaped from Homewood Police and are being saught.  Again the telephone is 879-2101."

The message is in a computer generated voice (a la Stephen Hawking) and sounds genuine.

It is odd that they are calling Hoover homes.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/10/09 at 9:20pm

I got the same call.  Caught the tail end of a story on fox 6 of 2 people homewood tried to pulled over near Barbers on oxmoor.  Don't know if its the same people the phone call referenced.  But maybe since it was just down the hill is why we got the call.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 06/11/09 at 8:48am

I spoke with Homewood PD regarding this call.  Here's what they told me:

The incident involved a routine traffic stop where the driver and a passenger ran from the police:

http://www.myfoxal.com/dpp/news/local/20090610Two_escape_police_chase_in_Ho

This prompted the Homewood PD to issue a "reverse 911" call within a 2 mile radius of the incident.  She was unable to give me specifics on how this works other than to say that anyone who lives in that 2 mile radius, regardless of municipality, would have received the call.

She also indicated that the two had not been apprehended as of the time of my call.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 06/11/09 at 8:18pm

Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 06/11/09 at 8:48am:

The incident involved a routine traffic stop where the driver and a passenger ran from the police:

This prompted the Homewood PD to issue a "reverse 911" call within a 2 mile radius of the incident.  She was unable to give me specifics on how this works other than to say that anyone who lives in that 2 mile radius, regardless of municipality, would have received the call.

She also indicated that the two had not been apprehended as of the time of my call.

This is a wonderful service that Homewood is providing to citizens in their surrounding area!  I had never received a call like it before nor heard of it being done.  I wonder if any other municipalities are doing the same.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 06/11/09 at 9:12pm

Quote from Recap on 06/11/09 at 8:18pm:
Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 06/11/09 at 8:48am:

This is a wonderful service that Homewood is providing to citizens in their surrounding area!  I had never received a call like it before nor heard of it being done.  I wonder if any other municipalities are doing the same.

Agree and disagree.  I think the service as a whole is good.  I think the problem with this call was that it a) was vague  and didn't provide a venue to seek further information and b) the media was not notified about the situation until much later (or they didn't cover it until much later).

Looking at the message, it states that Homewood PD had two escapees, one male, one female.  Usually when it comes to escapees it is for offenses greater than something involving a traffic stop.

I think the service has tremendous potential.  Get the message out and give a URL to a web page that would give more information on what's going on.  Or notify the media and have them post something.  The only media outlet that had anything about this was Fox 6.  

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #7 - 06/11/09 at 11:05pm

Person of Interest
On June 10th, 2009 at 10:30 a.m., Homewood Police attempted to stop a Maroon Ford Taurus for a traffic violation. The driver of the vehicle refused to stop and struck a Homewood Police car leading Officers on a pursuit to Shannon Road where the Taurus drove off into the woods at Shades Creek Industrial Park. A white female was placed into custody at the scene. A white male wearing a dark shirt and a pony tail ran from the scene along with a white female.They have not been located at this time.
Marianne Leigh Painter Goodwin, the owner of the maroon Ford Taurus that was involved in the Police Pursuit in Homewood on June 10, 2009 is a person of interest in the case.
 Goodwin is a white female, 41 years old, 5’6”, 160 lbs.

If anyone has any information concerning Goodwin whereabouts, please call the Homewood Police Department at 332-6200, or leave a tip on the Homewood Tip line at 332-6262.  

Is this in relation to the phone calls people have been getting

IP Logged
mbear2662
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 06/12/09 at 10:45am

I did think that it was strange to be getting a message from the Homewood PD when I live in Hoover.  I do think that this is a good service.  I had planned on cutting my grass that afternoon and my partner had a late meeting.  Since hearing the message I put off mowing until another day.  If I had known that this was within a 2 mile radius I would have been even more concerned.  Most of my neighbors are elderly and are not as observant as younger neighbors might be.  I think that letting people in a close proximity know what is going on is an excellent idea - other law enforcement agencies should do this as well.  As far as not alerting the media right away - I don't see a problem with that at all.  I think that the media is too involved in some of these cases and are deterrents for catching the criminals.

Email   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 06/12/09 at 4:23pm

Quote from pekaboo on 06/11/09 at 11:05pm:
Person of Interest
On June 10th, 2009 at 10:30 a.m., Homewood Police attempted to stop a Maroon Ford Taurus for a traffic violation. The driver of the vehicle refused to stop and struck a Homewood Police car leading Officers on a pursuit to Shannon Road where the Taurus drove off into the woods at Shades Creek Industrial Park. A white female was placed into custody at the scene. A white male wearing a dark shirt and a pony tail ran from the scene along with a white female.They have not been located at this time.
Marianne Leigh Painter Goodwin, the owner of the maroon Ford Taurus that was involved in the Police Pursuit in Homewood on June 10, 2009 is a person of interest in the case.
Goodwin is a white female, 41 years old, 5’6”, 160 lbs.

If anyone has any information concerning Goodwin whereabouts, please call the Homewood Police Department at 332-6200, or leave a tip on the Homewood Tip line at 332-6262.  

Is this in relation to the phone calls people have been getting

If this IS related to the phone call I (and some others) received, then I would say they were just a wee bit late in dialing my phone to warn me.  This report says it happened at 10:30 AM.  I received the call at 4:50 PM.  Being within the "two mile radius" area of the incident, it doesn't seem like a very good warning seven hours after the incident.

IP Logged
BPLC

You grow it, we mow
it!

Reply #10 - 06/13/09 at 6:39am

This reminds me... I haven't received any email/text alerts from Hoover PD lately.  It would seem reasonable for the two cities to share the information and send out text and/or email broadcast alerts when something like this occurs.

Email   IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #11 - 06/13/09 at 3:53pm

I get mine from Homewood. It would make sense for at least the Bluff Park area to get homewood notices especially if it occurs in the area of Homewood close to Bluff Park or if a crime goes into Bluff Park from Homewood.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company