"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/30/24 at 3:16pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Daytime Robbery by "Landscaping Men" (Read 6501 times)
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Daytime Robbery by "Landscaping Men"
08/26/09 at 8:18am

I just heard there was a robbery on either Bluff Rd or Cloudland recently. It was over near the Hale-Joseph home (in that general area). Yardmen were spotted, but they were actually robbing home. Took tvs, pcs, etc.

Does anyone know anymore details?

WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Daytime Robbery by "Landscaping Men"
Reply #1 - 08/26/09 at 9:26am

Quote from Abbey111 on 08/26/09 at 8:18am:
I just heard there was a robbery on either Bluff Rd or Cloudland recently. It was over near the Hale-Joseph home (in that general area). Yardmen were spotted, but they were actually robbing home. Took tvs, pcs, etc.

Does anyone know anymore details?

Was it a robbery or a burglary?

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 08/26/09 at 6:40pm

I am not sure. The person who told me that it happened use the word robbery. However, I bet it was just a burglary. A neighbor saw yard men, but knew they had already mown their yard. I do not know if neighbor called police or not. I have no details except that the burglers were posing at yard people and that tvs/stereos were taken.

Does anyone know exactly what house this was? I think I think I am going to try and organize a neighborhood watch on our street. I'm tired of crimes being committed in our n'hood. I have personally been the victim of an attempted burglary twice now. Luckily my husband has great hearing- selective, but very good. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08/26/09 at 9:00pm

Quote from Abbey111 on 08/26/09 at 6:40pm:
I am not sure. The person who told me that it happened use the word robbery. However, I bet it was just a burglary. A neighbor saw yard men, but knew they had already mown their yard. I do not know if neighbor called police or not. I have no details except that the burglers were posing at yard people and that tvs/stereos were taken.

Does anyone know exactly what house this was? I think I think I am going to try and organize a neighborhood watch on our street. I'm tired of crimes being committed in our n'hood. I have personally been the victim of an attempted burglary twice now. Luckily my husband has great hearing- selective, but very good. Smiley

We did the Neighborhood Watch thing.  It's worth it.

Here's how.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 08/27/09 at 9:33am

What street...I would definitely go to a Neighborhood watch thing!

stangviperred   IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 01/05/10 at 12:48am

This is an old thread, and in the past few months Hoover PD, Vestavia PD, and others have caught burglars in the act or just after thanks to citizens calling in.  I just wanted to give an idea of how these things sometimes work.  

In the Vestavia arrests, one suspect spilled the beans that the burglary crew had friends who were actual landscapers.  These guys while at work would often get to know a neighborhood - who is home and who is not and who just left if they're doing a yard there. These "legitimate" landscapers would call their buddies who would come and burglarize (not "rob") one or more homes in the area.  

A few years ago in the Saddle Lake subdivision near alabaster 2 males were driving around in a pickup truck with pine straw in the back.  They would knock on doors and if someone answered, they'd offer to do work- if not, they would kick the door in and take stuff.  You can hide a lot under a heap of pinestraw or in the back of a landscaping truck.  

I am suspicious of ANYONE in a neighborhood soliciting at all.  Putting flyers on mailboxes, knocking on doors, etc.  Law Enforcement would rather be called and not actually needed than needed and never called.    

I made the mistake of leaving the box from my new tv on my front porch instead of smashing it and putting it in the garbage can.  A truck full of white males passing out roofing business cards stopped the next day at my house. one guy knocked on my door, another was in my yard. I made it clear that they needed to leave the neighborhood and not return.  My phone was dead so I couldnt call the PD until later.  They had not put cards on anyone else's mailbox.  

From the slow down of burglaries after the arrests, it may be deduced that the same people were doing a lot of burglaries.  Unfortunately, because these are property crimes and our prisons are chock full of criminals, these guys WILL be back out in less than 2 years depending on their records.  

We have to look out for each other and help the cops help us.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 01/05/10 at 8:10am

Quote from _anonymous_ on 01/05/10 at 12:48am:
This is an old thread, and in the past few months Hoover PD, Vestavia PD, and others have caught burglars in the act or just after thanks to citizens calling in.  I just wanted to give an idea of how these things sometimes work.

In the Vestavia arrests, one suspect spilled the beans that the burglary crew had friends who were actual landscapers.  These guys while at work would often get to know a neighborhood - who is home and who is not and who just left if they're doing a yard there. These "legitimate" landscapers would call their buddies who would come and burglarize (not "rob") one or more homes in the area.  

A few years ago in the Saddle Lake subdivision near alabaster 2 males were driving around in a pickup truck with pine straw in the back.  They would knock on doors and if someone answered, they'd offer to do work- if not, they would kick the door in and take stuff.  You can hide a lot under a heap of pinestraw or in the back of a landscaping truck.

I am suspicious of ANYONE in a neighborhood soliciting at all.  Putting flyers on mailboxes, knocking on doors, etc.  Law Enforcement would rather be called and not actually needed than needed and never called.  

I made the mistake of leaving the box from my new tv on my front porch instead of smashing it and putting it in the garbage can.  A truck full of white males passing out roofing business cards stopped the next day at my house. one guy knocked on my door, another was in my yard. I made it clear that they needed to leave the neighborhood and not return.  My phone was dead so I couldnt call the PD until later.  They had not put cards on anyone else's mailbox.  

From the slow down of burglaries after the arrests, it may be deduced that the same people were doing a lot of burglaries.  Unfortunately, because these are property crimes and our prisons are chock full of criminals, these guys WILL be back out in less than 2 years depending on their records.

We have to look out for each other and help the cops help us.

I was really shocked to see all of the TV, computer and other boxes that people put out by the road after Christmas.  This is like a huge ad that says "HEY, LOOK WHAT I JUST GOT! A BRAND NEW (FILL IN THE BLANK).  IT'S INSIDE THE HOUSE!"  

You bring up another great point, the leaflets/business cards on the mailbox.  People staking out neighborhoods will frequently tape colorful leaflets on people's mailboxes.  Those people who are home bring theirs in.  Those who are not, leave them out.  Burglars don't need to knock on doors to find out if anyone is home, just look on the mailbox.  If your neighbor is out of town, do them a favor and take those taped leaflets down for them.

A couple of days ago we had a white van filled with females going door to door asking if we needed cleaning service.  They disappeared when Hoover PD was called.

Again, _anonymous_, you bring up some great points, something we can all learn from.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #7 - 01/05/10 at 6:14pm

an excellent post!

Email WWW   IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 01/06/10 at 4:51pm

I guess I could put the boxes in front of the neighbor's house Wink

But really, we usually stash the boxes for a while in the attic, so if we need to bring something back, its easier.  And later when they finally do go out, its not all at once, and I suspect no one is keeping quite the same eye out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company