"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/21/24 at 10:00am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just plain low - Mountain Drive (Read 2085 times)
ldauro
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Just plain low - Mountain Drive
05/20/10 at 4:14pm

Police already called

Hello all, I am very sad to have to tell you this story.

About 20 minutes ago, I was in my house and I heard something banging from the back yard.  I look out my window and see a short, bleachblonde white woman taking the flower box off of my window and starting to put it in her trunk (a white, 4 door sedan - I believe a Toyota with gold decals - I am SO upset I don't have the tag number).

I asked her what she was doing, and she said that she was looking for a house to buy and had to do it quick (we currently have our house for sale).  She wanted to come in - but my instincts knew better.  I asked her if she had a realtor, and if she didn't to make an appointment.  She asked me if i had a card and how much the house was - I gave her a flier (I wish I hadn't).  Finally, I asked what she was doing with my flowers, and she said she was "just looking at them".  She got in her car and left, and I immediately called the police.  

After I got off the phone with them, I walk outside and I realize that she stole my 2 prized potted tomato plants, my potted basil, and 4 bags of rock we had just bought.  WHO ON EARTH DOES THIS???  All while I was AT HOME, during after-school rush hour.  I am just sick.

I <3 Bluff Park!
  IP Logged
overhere
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Just plain low - Mountain Drive
Reply #1 - 05/20/10 at 6:03pm

you still have the right in Alabama to purchase firearms. You just have to know when to use them but, if I'm on my property and someone else is trying to vandalize my property, I have the right to bear arms even if I don't actually follow through.

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #2 - 05/21/10 at 8:31am

Quote from ldauro on 05/20/10 at 4:14pm:
Police already called

Hello all, I am very sad to have to tell you this story.

About 20 minutes ago, I was in my house and I heard something banging from the back yard.  I look out my window and see a short, bleachblonde white woman taking the flower box off of my window and starting to put it in her trunk (a white, 4 door sedan - I believe a Toyota with gold decals - I am SO upset I don't have the tag number).

I asked her what she was doing, and she said that she was looking for a house to buy and had to do it quick (we currently have our house for sale).  She wanted to come in - but my instincts knew better.  I asked her if she had a realtor, and if she didn't to make an appointment.  She asked me if i had a card and how much the house was - I gave her a flier (I wish I hadn't).  Finally, I asked what she was doing with my flowers, and she said she was "just looking at them".  She got in her car and left, and I immediately called the police.

After I got off the phone with them, I walk outside and I realize that she stole my 2 prized potted tomato plants, my potted basil, and 4 bags of rock we had just bought.  WHO ON EARTH DOES THIS???  All while I was AT HOME, during after-school rush hour.  I am just sick.

I'm not judging and I don't know you.. so I can't say..you should or shouldn't have done so and so, BUT.. OMG!!   My very first instinct would have been to call the police before heading out the door to confront her- especially after seeing her take the flower off the window.  Anyway, I'm glad you were not hurt.  It almost sounds like this person was a little on the nutty side or you surprised her by being home.  
Having your house up for sale.. wouldn't draw suspicion - neighbors wouldn't think twice about someone walking around the property.  Humm ... interesting.  This may be a new MO.

IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/06/10 at 12:29pm

I would not present a firearm in this case. I would definitely be VERY comfortable with using bear spray/mace/ oc or other incapacitants to stop this theft in progress. It is very rare to actually catch someone in the act, and sometimes people are like the cat that finally caught the mouse.... what do I do now?  
1. dial 911
2. dial 911
3. give the best description possible.  
4. depending on your risk aversion/physical prowess/attitude/aptitude-- you may or may not want to confront someone. many of these people are dangerous and carry weapons. if cornered and desperate may do desperate things. there may be 2 or more of them and you only saw one.  

your property is not worth your life or physical safety-remember that.  

on the same token, the police are not always right around the corner- if you are put in a threatening situation and cannot evade- defend yourself.  

if you do plan to use mace, etc, make sure to articulate that you were in fear for your life/personal safety.    

I am sorry you were victimized. criminals usually have a story well thought out in advance- people who grew up in a tumultuous and confrontational environment think very quickly on their feet and can easily intimidate and confuse someone who grew up in a more civilized environment.  

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #4 - 06/06/10 at 4:51pm

if you feel threated with intent to do bodily harm, you have the right to protect yourself in any manner you choose.  i have a loaded gun and have even met the police at the door with it.  they were fine with it too.  just warn your friends and neighbors that you have a NO TOLERANCE policy for your home.  i don't call 911 first, i call GLOCK.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company