"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/03/24 at 10:23am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trash....let's get our neighborhood cleaned up... (Read 7698 times)
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Trash....let's get our neighborhood cleaned up...
02/28/11 at 1:54pm

If you see any junk laying around that has obviously been abandoned, please call Public Works at 444-7543.  For example, the loveseat that has been sitting on the side of the road between Bluff Park Thrift & Gift and the apartments for months, and the ginormous dead raccoon that has been on the road near the gas station for a month.

I kept expecting this crap to get picked up and it never was, so I called Public Works and they said they will take care of it.  I urge others to do the same (if it something large or disgusting that you can't remove yourself).  Let's get Bluff Park cleaned up and keep it that way.  I'm tired of being passive and waiting for things to happen.  I feel like I've become "get off my grass you whippersnappers" guy, but I'm not going to sit by anymore while the neighborhood turns to crap.

Also, a suggestion:  Could we sticky a post to the top with helpful phone numbers and email addresses to reference such as the Police Station, Public Works, etc.?  That might help us all when we want to voice our concerns.

IP Logged
BPLC

You grow it, we mow
it!

Re: Trash....let's get our neighborhood cleaned up
Reply #1 - 02/28/11 at 7:23pm

That raccoon is pretty disgusting... I didn't know they would come pick it up.  We had a opossum die in our backyard a few years ago while giving birth.  I called animal control.  They told me they would come put it in a bag but that was it we had to discard the bag.  

Email   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 02/28/11 at 7:59pm

Raccoon:  Gone. Loveseat:  Gone. Kudos to Hoover's Public Works for a lightning quick response.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 02/28/11 at 8:00pm

Quote from ht2 on 02/28/11 at 1:54pm:
If you see any junk laying around that has obviously been abandoned, please call Public Works at 444-7543.  For example, the loveseat that has been sitting on the side of the road between Bluff Park Thrift & Gift and the apartments for months, and the ginormous dead raccoon that has been on the road near the gas station for a month.

I kept expecting this crap to get picked up and it never was, so I called Public Works and they said they will take care of it.  I urge others to do the same (if it something large or disgusting that you can't remove yourself).  Let's get Bluff Park cleaned up and keep it that way.  I'm tired of being passive and waiting for things to happen.  I feel like I've become "get off my grass you whippersnappers" guy, but I'm not going to sit by anymore while the neighborhood turns to crap.

Also, a suggestion:  Could we sticky a post to the top with helpful phone numbers and email addresses to reference such as the Police Station, Public Works, etc.?  That might help us all when we want to voice our concerns.

At the top of this page are the links to the main BluffParkAL.org web site, including the Bluff Park Information page (http://www.bluffparkal.org/information.htm).  On the Information page is a link to all of the City of Hoover Departments: http://www.hooveral.org/Default.asp?ID=408&pg=City+Departments

If you'll let us know what departments should be listed on the Bluff Park Forum, we'll see how we can get it positioned.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
BPLC

You grow it, we mow
it!

Reply #4 - 02/28/11 at 9:09pm

Great job! HT.

Email   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 03/02/11 at 1:17pm

Some interesting reading, not necessarily related to this situation, but not completely unrelated.  Malcolm Gladwell wrote a good piece in Tipping Point about NYC taking a zero tolerance approach to broken windows and how that helped to begin allow the city to rid itself of a great deal of crime.  

http://www.gladwell.com/1996/1996_06_03_a_tipping.htm

This part is particularly interesting to me.

Some of the most fascinating work, however, comes from Jonathan Crane, a sociologist at the University of Illinois. In a 1991 study in the American Journal of Sociology, Crane looked at the effect the number of role models in a community-the professionals, managers, teachers whom the Census Bureau has defined as "high status"-has on the lives of teen-agers in the same neighborhood. His answer was surprising. He found little difference in teen-pregnancy rates or school-dropout rates in neighborhoods with between forty and five per cent of high-status workers. But when the number of professionals dropped below five per cent, the problems exploded. For black school kids, for example, as the percentage of high- status workers falls just 2.2 percentage points-from 5.6 per cent to 3.4 per cent-dropout rates more than double. At the same tipping point, the rates of childbearing for teen-age girls-which barely move at all up to that point-nearly double as well.

The point made by both Crane and Rowe is not simply that social problems are contagious-that non-virgins spread sex to virgins and that when neighborhoods decline good kids become infected by the attitudes of dropouts and teen-age mothers. Their point is that teen-age sex and dropping out of school are contagious in the same way that an infectious disease is contagious. Crane's study essentially means that at the five-per-cent tipping point neighborhoods go from relatively functional to wildly dysfunctional virtually overnight. There is no steady decline: a little change has a huge effect. The neighborhoods below the tipping point look like they've been hit by the Ebola virus.

and this section as well

Some of the best new ideas in preventing violence borrow heavily from the principles of epidemic theory. Take, for example, the so-called "broken window" hypothesis that has been used around the country as the justification for cracking down on "quality of life" crimes like public urination and drinking. In a famous experiment conducted twenty-seven years ago by the Stanford University psychologist Philip Zimbardo, a car was parked on a street in Palo Alto, where it sat untouched for a week. At the same time, Zimbardo had an identical car parked in a roughly comparable neighborhood in the Bronx, only in this case the license plates were removed and the hood was propped open. Within a day, it was stripped. Then, in a final twist, Zimbardo smashed one of the Palo Alto car's windows with a sledgehammer. Within a few hours, that car, too, was destroyed. Zimbardo's point was that disorder invites even more disorder-that a small deviation from the norm can set into motion a cascade of vandalism and criminality. The broken window was the tipping point.

The broken-window hypothesis was the inspiration for the cleanup of the subway system conducted by the New York City Transit Authority in the late eighties and early nineties. Why was the Transit Authority so intent on removing graffiti from every car and cracking down on the people who leaped over turnstiles without paying? Because those two "trivial" problems were thought to be tipping points-broken windows-that invited far more serious crimes. It is worth noting that not only did this strategy seem to work-since 1990, felonies have fallen more than fifty per cent-but one of its architects was the then chief of the Transit Police, William Bratton, who was later to take his ideas about preventing crime to the city as a whole when he became head of the New York Police Department.

Which brings us to North Brooklyn and the Seventy- fifth Precinct. In the Seven-Five, there are now slightly more officers than before. They stop more cars. They confiscate more guns. They chase away more street-corner loiterers. They shut down more drug markets. They have made a series of what seem, when measured against the extraordinary decline in murders, to be small changes. But it is the nature of nonlinear phenomena that sometimes the most modest of changes can bring about enormous effects. What happened to the murder rate may not be such a mystery in the end. Perhaps what William Bratton and Inspector Mezzadri have done is the equivalent of repairing the broken window or preventing that critical ten or fifteen thousand new H.I.V. infections. Perhaps Brooklyn-and with it New York City-has tipped.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #6 - 03/03/11 at 12:54pm

ht2,

I believe in your efforts, but I think you'll find that no one on this website truly cares about cleaning up Bluff Park or stopping over-crowded housing.  If you don't believe me look at the Overcrowded Homes thread.

Here's the replies that you are going to get back on your post:
You are a bigot.
Mind your own business.
It won't affect my property values (That one baffles me, since who wants to live next to construction equipment).
Bluff Park is a place that doesn't have covenants.  If you want those then leave.

I have made the same arguments and posted the Broken Windows article as well. Keep up the effort and don't dare rely on any politicians to help either.  We see where that has gotten us......nothing but excuses.  

If you are interested in teaming up on the overcrowding issue, email me at forolemiss@yahoo.com.  Wouldn't mind getting something started on the house next to the old Delchamps Plaza.  Counted 11 cars there the other night for what appears to be a 2-3 bedroom home.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 03/03/11 at 2:07pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 03/03/11 at 12:54pm:
ht2,

I believe in your efforts, but I think you'll find that no one on this website truly cares about cleaning up Bluff Park or stopping over-crowded housing.  If you don't believe me look at the Overcrowded Homes thread.

Here's the replies that you are going to get back on your post:
You are a bigot.
Mind your own business.
It won't affect my property values (That one baffles me, since who wants to live next to construction equipment).
Bluff Park is a place that doesn't have covenants.  If you want those then leave.

I have made the same arguments and posted the Broken Windows article as well. Keep up the effort and don't dare rely on any politicians to help either.  We see where that has gotten us......nothing but excuses.

If you are interested in teaming up on the overcrowding issue, email me at forolemiss@yahoo.com.  Wouldn't mind getting something started on the house next to the old Delchamps Plaza.  Counted 11 cars there the other night for what appears to be a 2-3 bedroom home.

Check your PM inbox.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 03/03/11 at 3:34pm

ht2 and forolemiss -  

I'll also team up and help out in anyway possible. Shoot me a PM and tell me what you have in mind.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 03/03/11 at 3:44pm

It turns out the property is zoned commercial.  The inspector has advised the owner to move his fleet of vehicles to the backyard behind the fence.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #10 - 03/04/11 at 1:07pm

Forolemiss,  

I cant say that I blame you for being upset on the overcrowded Homes, it IS a problem and hands are tied. I do think your statement: I think you'll find that no one on this website truly cares about cleaning up Bluff Park is false and lumps All of Bluff Park in one thought of mind. It would not be talked about on the website if people did not want to do something about it. We as Bluff Park have just not got a plan that has worked yet.    

don't dare rely on any politicians to help either.  We see where that has gotten us......nothing but excuses.

There is only so much they can do, and they have said that.  Part of the process is that citizens have to make an in person complaint on paper. The more people the better. The problem is there is a lack of people who want to go all the way to the office to do that. So we are stuck with people fussing about the problem but not taking action (which you have)  

Bluff Park is a place that doesn't have covenants  No it does not but it still falls under the codes for all of Hoover and should be up held. We have the codes listed/ linked on the info page.

I will help in anyway I can.

HT2 is correct that property is zoned com.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #11 - 03/10/11 at 8:34am

I see your words but they look like “Blah, Blah, Blah” to me.  I like HT2’s approach: identify the problem and get somebody working on it.  This website just “Talks” it to death.  

You stated that I have done nothing about it.  I cut the derelict yard on Alford that looked horrible.  Had to pay $75 to repair my mower on that one.  I asked anyone on this website if they wanted to help: got nothing.  Asked if anyone wanted to help clean up the house on Savoy: got nothing there as well.  And I have driven down to the City Center more than anyone here combined.  

So I don't know where you come off saying I have done nothing to help clean up this community.

« Last Edit: 03/10/11 at 9:12am by Forolemiss »  
  IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #12 - 03/10/11 at 12:59pm

Forolemiss, where in my reply did I ever say this??????
"You stated that I have done nothing about it......."So I don't know where you come off saying I have done nothing to help clean up this community. "

If anything I was saying YOU have been one of the people that does get out and does something....  

from my post:

So we are stuck with people fussing about the problem but not taking action (which you have)
  meaning you have taken action.

So I think you miss read what I wrote.

anyway...

YOu also just skipped over the part where I said I would like to help... Yeah got no email form you on where to help.

Just what is is that you want Bluffparkal.org to do that we have not?

Email WWW   IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #13 - 03/10/11 at 1:44pm

Ooops. Read it fast on my IPad.  Sorry for the rant then.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #14 - 03/10/11 at 1:46pm

ha ha!! its cool man!

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company