"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/17/24 at 7:21am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bluff Park Burglaries (Read 13502 times)
MandM
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park Burglaries
08/24/12 at 12:06pm

Does anyone have any information about recent burglaries in Bluff Park (on Woodledge and Redwood)?

IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Re: Bluff Park Burglaries
Reply #1 - 08/26/12 at 6:54pm

I will be back in the office tomorrow afternoon and can check then.

Thanks,

Brian

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Steemman
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 08/27/12 at 7:07pm

My neighbor sent me the following email this morning.  If Officer Foreman could confirm the information, that would be appreciated.

There have been 8 break-ins during the past few days in Bluff Park.  Break-ins were on Capri Drive, Bluff Rd, Cecil Drive, Woodledge at Shades Crest.  They have happened during the middle of the day.  

One lady was returning from grocery store and saw a small black car in front of her house (Honda?).  She pulled into the driveway and went into garage.  As she walked into the house, she noticed that the French doors which open onto deck were open, and she immediately returned to her car to call police.  The burglar exited, and the black car (two men) immediately left.  In all of the burglaries, the thefts have been jewelry and small valuables.  In this case, the lady’s treasured heirloom jewelry was stolen along with her silver, etc.  

Police have cautioned the neighborhood to be vigilant to notice cars and people who are unknown – esp. a small black car.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08/28/12 at 4:20pm

We just spoke to Capt. Coker of the Hoover PD.  We'll post what he said shortly regarding the burglaries, but first, here is the post from Hoover PD from their Facebook page:

"There have been nine burglaries in the Bluff Park area recently. They have occurred primarily during daytime hours on the following streets; Alford Avenue, Bluff Road, Capri Drive, Shadybrook Lane, Shades Crest Road , and Tyler Road. Cri
minals have been prying doors, breaking windows, or kicking in doors primarily on the rear or side of unoccupied residences. Items stolen include lawn mowers, silverware, jewelry, home electronics, and firearms. Investigators are following several leads but there is no definitive suspect information to provide at this time. What can you do?

First, if you see any situation, person, or vehicle that appears suspicious call Hoover Police immediately at 911 or (205) 822-5300. Don’t wait or assume someone else will call. We need you to call and provide the best information you can about vehicles, tag numbers, suspect descriptions, direction of travel, and anything else you consider useful. Remember; NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION! Photos or video from a cell phone can be very helpful as well.

Second, evaluate your home with this Home Security Inspection Checklist and consider the recommendations it includes: http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/homesecuritychecklist.pdf

Third, participate in Operation Identification so that if you have items stolen, you can provide identifying information to us and improve the chance of recovering your property and prosecuting criminals: http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/operationid.pdf

Finally, if you don’t have a Neighborhood Watch in your area contact Officer Brian Foreman at (205) 739-6870 or foremanr@ci.hoover.al.us to start one. A Neighborhood Watch is proven to one of the most effective ways to reduce crime in any residential area."

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #4 - 08/28/12 at 4:27pm

Hello everyone,
     Here is the information I posted on the Hoover PD Facebook Page:

There have been nine burglaries in the Bluff Park area recently.  They have occurred primarily during daytime hours on the following streets;  Alford Avenue, Bluff Road, Capri Drive, Shadybrook Lane, Shades Crest Road , and Tyler Road.  Criminals have been prying doors, breaking windows, or kicking in doors primarily on the rear or side of unoccupied residences.  Items stolen include lawn mowers, silverware, jewelry, home electronics, and firearms.  Investigators are following several leads but there is no definitive suspect information to provide at this time.  What can you do?

First, if you see any situation, person, or vehicle that appears suspicious call Hoover Police immediately at 911 or (205) 822-5300.  Don’t wait or assume someone else will call.  We need you to call and provide the best information you can about vehicles, tag numbers, suspect descriptions, direction of travel, and anything else you consider useful.  Remember;  NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN DANGER TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION!  Photos or video from a cell phone can be very helpful as well.  

Second, evaluate your home with this Home Security Inspection Checklist and consider the recommendations it includes:   http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/homesecuritychecklist.pdf  

Third, participate in Operation Identification so that if you have items stolen, you can provide identifying information to us and improve the chance of recovering your property and prosecuting criminals:  
http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/operationid.pdf

Finally, if you don’t have a Neighborhood Watch in your area contact Officer Brian Foreman at (205) 739-6870 or foremanr@ci.hoover.al.us  to start one.  A Neighborhood Watch is proven to one of the most effective ways to reduce crime in any residential area.

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 08/28/12 at 4:40pm

Capt. Coker also indicated that additional patrols will be taking place in Bluff Park.

He also mentioned Neighborhood Watch.  Let's be honest here...we want more police patrol, but we could have every police vehicle that HPD has patrolling Bluff Park, there would still be spots where they couldn't be.  Yet the residents - you - are there.

Ofc. Foreman's post tells you how to get a Neighborhood Watch program started.  It's free and it's effective.  But even if you don't have one for your block right now, IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SUSPICIOUS, CALL 911.  It may turn out to be nothing.  But it may turn out to be these burglars.  But they can't be caught if you don't call.  HPD would rather come out and find nothing than not come out and then take a burglary report later on.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
MandM
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 08/28/12 at 6:20pm

Thank you for the info.  Please keep us updated!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 08/28/12 at 9:15pm

By the way, BluffParkAL.org also has a Neighborhood Watch page that has all the information you will need to get started in getting your block organized in the program(of course, Step 1 is to call Ofc. Foreman):

http://www.bluffparkal.org/neighborhood_watch.htm

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #8 - 08/30/12 at 10:09pm

There is a suspect in custody that has confessed to committing the residential burglaries in the Bluff Park area of Hoover. Additional information and warrants will be forthcoming.

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 08/31/12 at 11:27am

We just received a call from Capt. Coker, Hoover PD.  He advised that Vestavia PD has a subject in custody for burglary that has admitted to the burglaries in Bluff Park.  Hoover PD plans to serve him with warrants.

Capt. Coker wanted us to remind the residents of Bluff Park to continue being vigilant and report any suspicious activity.  If you see something suspicious call 911.

More details as they become available.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 08/31/12 at 11:47am

Vestavia Hills Press Release:

http://www.bluffparkal.org/Docs/VHPD_PressRelease_2012-08-31.pdf  (Link has picture of suspect)

For Immediate Release from Dan Rary, Chief of Police
On 8/29/12, at approximately 1:45pm, VHPD responded to a report of a residential burglary in progress in the 1500 blk. of Badham Dr. The victim reported that an unknown, white male suspect had repeatedly rang her doorbell and then proceeded to the rear door of the home where he forced entry into the residence by kicking in the door. The suspect became aware that the home was occupied and immediately fled.
The victim provided VHPD with a physical, clothing and vehicle description of the suspect. A VHPD Motor-Scout spotted a suspect and vehicle matching the provided description travelling north on Badham Dr. He conducted a traffic stop on the suspect vehicle and a subsequent investigation resulted in the arrest of Keith A. Henderson, 37, of Hoover, for Burglary 2nd degree. The information provided by the victim was extremely helpful in VHPD’s efforts to apprehend the suspect.
On 8/31/12, VHPD Detectives obtained a felony warrant for Burglary 2nd degree via the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office for Henderson and he was transferred to the Jefferson County Jail. Bond amount is set for $30,000.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #11 - 08/31/12 at 4:58pm

Hello everyone,
     I just posted the following on the Hoover PD Facebook page:

On 8/29/2012 Vestavia Police received a call from a home owner in their City reporting that a burglary suspect had just kicked in the rear door to her residence.  The suspect ran off when he realized the home was occupied and the victim provided good information to Vestavia Dispatch.  Vestavia PD did a great job looking out for the suspect vehicle and they were able to take him into custody.  The suspect, Keith Henderson, is a resident of the Bluff Park area of Hoover.

Our Detectives interviewed Henderson and were able to determine he was the primary suspect for the recent Bluff Park burglaries.  Our Detectives plan to obtain warrants next week and may close as many as one dozen cases.  We should have a formal release sometime next week.  Remember to be observant and expect that there will always be other criminals to replace the ones who are caught.  If you haven’t formed a Neighborhood Watch yet, please contact Officer Brian Foreman at (205) 739-6870 to do so.

Here is a link to the Vestavia Police Department release:  http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/vestaviarelease.pdf  

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
BluffParkGirl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 09/01/12 at 7:26am

Good Job!!!      Thanks to Hoover and Vestavia Police Officers for helping make our neighborhood a little safer.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - 09/01/12 at 7:35am

These burglaries, and the subsequent arrest of a suspect, show in great detail how the effectiveness of the Neighborhood Watch program could have helped prevent some of the burglaries.  

We'd like to point out some of the parts of the press release, which Ofc. Foreman transcribed in one of the previous posts, and then share an e-mail that we received from a Bluff Park resident, and our responses to the e-mail (no names will be used).

First the part of the press release that's important:

On 8/29/12, at approximately 1:45pm, VHPD responded to a report of a residential burglary in progress in the 1500 blk. of Badham Dr. The victim reported that an unknown, white male suspect had repeatedly rang her doorbell and then proceeded to the rear door of the home where he forced entry into the residence by kicking in the door. The suspect became aware that the home was occupied and immediately fled.  
 The victim provided VHPD with a physical, clothing and vehicle description of the suspect. A VHPD Motor-Scout spotted a suspect and vehicle matching the provided description travelling north on Badham Dr. He conducted a traffic stop on the suspect vehicle and a subsequent investigation resulted in the arrest of Keith A. Henderson, 37, of Hoover, for Burglary 2nd degree. The information provided by the victim was extremely helpful in VHPD’s efforts to apprehend the suspect.

A resident provided a description of the suspect.  Although in this case it was the victim, it doesn't have to be.  It can be anyone who sees something suspicious.  Because of the excellent description, VHPD was able to stop the suspect quickly.

Now the e-mail exchange which began on 8/27/12 (again, all names are removed):

Hello,

There have been two break-ins in Bluff Park in the last couple few days. Last week, there was one off of Sherrlyn and just yesterday one on Capri in broad daylight.

I feel like people need to be alert to this. There are a lot of elderly people in my neighborhood and they have no clue. Also...people don't think this can happen to them. People need to be alert and watch out for neighbors, report strange cars, etc.

Can this be reported on the Bluff Park Website?

Sincerely,

Our response:

xxxx,
Yes, we have a section on the Bluff Park Forum called Neighborhood Watch:
http://bluffparkal.org/bpforum/YaBB.pl?board=neighborhood_watch

You do have to be a member in order to post on the forum, so if you're not signed up, please follow these instructions:
http://bluffparkal.org/bpforum/YaBB.pl?num=1319420870/0#0

Regarding the burglaries, there is a current thread on the Neighborhood Watch section that talks about them.  I've e-mailed Ofc. Foreman (in charge of the Neighborhood Watch program for Hoover PD) to give us some more information, which he said he'll post on the forum as soon as he knows more.

Keep an eye on the forum for updates.

Thanks,

Their response:

Just wondering what I could do to help warn people in Bluff Park to lock doors, be aware, etc. Could I post something at Bluff Park Piggly Wiggly? I am very concerned for the elderly and the folks who are not aware that this is going on.

I think a lot of people think it will not happen to them....and have a false sense of security.

I have thought about printing up flyers (small ones) and passing them out in the neighborhoods but this seems like a monumental task.

Do you have any ideas for me? I have lived in Bluff Park for over twenty years and love my neighborhood. I hate to think that the people that live around here are at risk and many are unaware.

Thank you for any ideas, suggestions.

Our response:

xxxx,

A flyer is the reason that BluffParkAL.org exists.  Not because it started as such, but that a flyer doesn't cover enough ground.  If you'll go to the bottom of the Neighborhood Updates page:
http://www.bluffparkal.org/neighborhood_updates.htm
you'll see how it all began and where we are today.  

That having been said, our biggest issue is lack of community involvement when it comes to crime prevention.  Although I am a firm believer that we need more police presence in Bluff Park (my number one pet peeve with the city council, and they know it), I am also one that believes that we need to be proactive about our community.  Because of this, I am a firm believe in each block in Bluff Park being covered by a Neighborhood Watch group.  All of our eyes combined are better than a pair of eyes belonging to a police officer who cruises through Bluff Park maybe once every 4 hours.

Countless stories have been printed and broadcast as to the effectiveness of Neighborhood Watch groups, yet most people don't want to start one.  It has been shown to be more effective than an alarm system.  Why don't people want to start one?  Because they don't know how, and may be a little apprehensive.  This is why Officer Brian Foreman is there to assist.

We have entire page dedicated to Neighborhood Watch groups:

http://www.bluffparkal.org/neighborhood_watch.htm

The best thing you can do is to spread the word about forming a Neighborhood Watch group (after having your block setup, of course).  The more blocks are setup, the less ground the "bad guys" will have to do their thing.

Once you have looked at the above, call Ofc. Foreman (his contact info is on the Neighborhood Watch page) and arrange to have a meeting.  It's no charge and he'll be happy to set everything up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Their response:

Thank you for your reply. I am starting to get the picture! I am starting to change my view of Neighborhood Watch. When I used to see the signs, I must admit, I thought it was a little silly and thought it really didn't do much good. Now that I am more informed, I see the importance of being part of a group and am considering starting one in my area.  

I will read more and will seriously consider getting involved.

Thanks again and have a great day!

We've spent the last six years providing a community web site which has been well received.  One tof the things we emphasize is the importance of the Neighborhood Watch program.  

Bluff Park is not exactly a huge area, but regardless of how many police officers we put out there (and we have one covering Bluff Park, with a floater for backup), they will NEVER match the number of eyes that we have in Bluff Park.  

When we have a rash of burglaries, the first ones to get the blame are Hoover PD.  "Where are they?" "Why don't we have more cops patrolling?" and a few other comments.  Yes, we need more police officers to patrol.  The city council and the mayor a fully aware of this, but we need more involvement from the community as well.  

Is Bluff Park going to be like everyone else and be reactive to crime?  Or are we going to be proactive and try to do something about it?  

I like the part of the e-mail exchange where the writer says "When I used to see the signs, I must admit, I thought it was a little silly and thought it really didn't do much good."  A good Neighborhood Watch program has residents looking out for each other, but it's not a monumental task.  See something suspicious, pick up the phone and call HPD.  Is that car sitting in your neighbor's driveway not familiar to you?  Pick up the phone and call HPD.  

Friday I had the opportunity to speak to the officer who patrols Bluff Park in the evenings and the one who took the majority of the reports about the burglaries.  Given the option, do you think he'd rather come out to check out what turns out to be nothing, or do you think he'd rather take a burglary report because someone saw something but decided "not to call - don't want to get involved - don't think it's anything"?  I think we all know the answer to that question.

Hopefully something good can come out of these burglaries in that more people sign up for Neighborhood Watch and perhaps someday we won't need the extra patrol vehicles because burglars know...in Bluff Park the people are watching out for each other.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - 09/01/12 at 5:42pm

We received a call from Capt. Coker of the Hoover PD this afternoon who advised us that another suspect has been arrested in connection with a Bluff Park burglary.  It's unknown if he is connected to the first suspect.  Here is the Hoover PD press release:

September 1, 2012
Arrest made in Bluff Park Burglary
On August 23, 2012, a residence on Cecil Court was burglarized. Investigation
of this crime by Hoover Detectives developed a suspect. On August 31, 2012,
Patrol officers arrested the subject listed below following a vehicle stop. He is
currently being held in the Hoover City Jail pending further investigation.
Adam Clayton Cox
Age 24 W/M
Residence: Montgomery, AL
Charge: Burglary 3rd Degree
Bond: $15,000

More information as it becomes available.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #15 - 09/01/12 at 6:29pm

Here is a link to the official release concerning the second suspect:  http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/Coxarrest.pdf

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

13 Warrants Obtained on Burglary Suspect
Reply #16 - 09/05/12 at 12:20pm

From the Official News Release:

Allen Henderson is responsible for a rash of burglaries in the Bluff Park area over a 10 day period. He
confessed to detectives that he chose this area because that is where he grew up. All of the burglaries
took place during the day, and he made entrance by kicking in the back door of the residence. On
Tuesday, September 4, 2012, Hoover Detectives obtained thirteen warrants on Keith Allen Henderson,
W/M, age 37, of Hoover. The street name and bond totals are:

1. Bluff Road burglary, Charge: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

2. Shadybrook Lane burglary, Charge: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

3. Alford Ave burglary, Charges: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000
Theft of Property 1st Degree Bond $30,000

4. Capri Drive burglary, Charges: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

5. Regent Drive burglary, Charges: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

6. Empire Lane burglary, Charges: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

7. Chester Street burglary, Charges: Burglary 3rd Degree Bond $15,000

8. Queensview Lane, Charge: Theft of Property 2nd Degree Bond $15,000

Henderson was originally arrested by the Vestavia Hills Police Department after kicking in a door of an
occupied residence in their city. He remains in the Jefferson County Jail. The Hoover Police
investigation continues and anyone who may have further information on Henderson is asked to  
contact Sergeant Clint Blackmon at (205) 444-7582.  

Here is a link to the full release: http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/Hendersonwarrants.pdf

« Last Edit: 09/05/12 at 5:52pm by Officer Foreman »  

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company