"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/29/24 at 9:14pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Poll
Question: Would you pay for electricy on Park Avenue?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes, if under $100 per year  
  14 (41.1%)
Yes, if under $50 per year  
  11 (32.3%)
Yes, regardless of how much  
  3 (8.8%)
No  
  6 (17.6%)

Total votes: 34
« Created by: Bluff Park Forum Admin on: 04/17/13 at 10:52am »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Park Avenue Sidewalk Lighting (Read 4675 times)
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Park Avenue Sidewalk Lighting
04/17/13 at 10:52am

Many people have expressed an interest in having lighting on the Park Avenue sidewalk.  Lighting, though, requires electricity, and electricity is not free.

If lighting were provided for the Park Avenue sidewalk from Chapel Road to Shades Crest Road, but electricity would have to be paid for by residents, would you be willing to commit to paying a yearly amount?

We want to get a general idea of how much interest remains in the lighting project if residents would have to pay for electricity.  We don't know how much it would cost for electricity, but obviously the more people contribute, the lower each contribution would have to be.

We will post the results of the poll on May 1.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Park Avenue Sidewalk Lighting
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 11:16am

We'd support it, though I'd be interested in learning a rough estimate of electricity costs.

If this were to gain support, I'd also like to propose extending the lighting the entire length of Park Ave to Farley, and not just to Chapel.

A friend who also lives on Park told me that he's heard Bluff Park referred to as "Bluff Dark" due to the lack of lighting...

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 5:54pm

I say start with park avenue from shades crest down to the cul de sac.  
$5.00 per month , 12 months is 60.00 per household per year.  Not a ridiculous amount.  
Question is: who pays and who doesn't?
I recommend starting with all homes within two blocks radius of park avenue.  
Also: is there a viable solar option ?  
LED lighting pulls low wattage in comparison to output.  
Long term maintenance has to be factored in as well.  
Excellent idea overall. Lighting will add security, safety, and inrease property values.

IP Logged
dw14
YaBB Newbies

I live in Shades
Mountain!

Reply #3 - 04/18/13 at 10:42am

I pay for a street light to run in front of my house and I assume the costs would be about the same.  I think I pay roughly 10/month.

Email   IP Logged
teatucker

Welsh with no tail

Reply #4 - 04/18/13 at 12:54pm

dw14, I do the same with my neighbors. We all got together to see about getting a light because our circle was so dark. We split the cost on our electric bill mine is like 7.50/month. Now its not very decorative, its just a big flood light on the top.

IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 04/19/13 at 9:51am

I suspect that I'm not the only one in Bluff Park that think that putting up glaring high intensity lighting is a bad idea.  I grew up on this mountain and at that time one could see stars in the night sky.  It was beautiful.  My neighbor had street lighting and has since eliminated it.  It is so much better now.  Please don't think that bright street lighting is universally accepted by everyone.

Email   IP Logged
roxy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 08/03/13 at 11:15am

I SAY TAKE A FLASHLIGHT !! Grin

roxy roxy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company