"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/05/24 at 11:41am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Traffic problem (Read 2524 times)
stillfighting
Ex Member

Traffic problem
05/02/07 at 5:21pm

I moved to Bluff Park ( Summerridge ) three years ago and right away noticed that there was a real problem with the lack of traffic control especially around the Mountain Drive/Clearview Rd. area. Specifically, people who show no heed of stop signs and speeding. I contacted the Hoover Police Department three times regarding this problem and to the best of my knowledge, there has been NO effort that I can personally report to stop these problems. Do you know of any way that we may be able to put a little more pressure on the Police Department without putting them on defensive regarding these issues?

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Traffic problem
Reply #1 - 05/02/07 at 7:52pm

Well, welcome to Bluff Park roads, stillfighting!  I've been going through the same experience for the past two years.

We live on a corner lot and have a stop sign on our property.  We, and our neighbors, also have small children.  The number of cars that actually "stop" at the sign is about 5-10%.  The number that "yield" at the sign is close to 60-70%.  The rest don't even slow down.  We contacted the police department.  They sent out an officer the following day who parked his motorcycle out of sight.  As cars ran the stop sign, he would go after them and give them a warning.  This went on for - better sit down for this - almost an hour before he left.  I called the police department back and they parked an old police car near the stop sign.  The compliance rate of stopping went up to 100%, even though nobody was inside the police car.  Imagine that!  

Alabama Code defines a "stop" at a stop sign as "ceasing movement", not "slow down, look both ways, then keep going".   So after the police department removed the old car (four days they left it, four days of nobody running the stop sign), everyone went back to their old ways.  I looked at alternatives, but could not find any (legal) ones.  So I contacted the city again and they did the same thing, placing a motor unit near the stop sign and giving verbal warnings.  One day, after almost getting hit by a teenage girl who was too busy talking on her cell phone to pay attention to the road, I blew a gasket with the police department.  They contacted the city engineer, who agreed to do a study on our road and the stop sign.  Their solution?  Turn the stop sign into a yield sign.  Needless to say, I found this to not be acceptable.  The other solution was to increase the size of the stop sign.

I now have a 48" stop sign on my property.  You can see it from 100 yards away.  It takes two poles to hold it up.  As people run it, they comment "Wow!  Did you see the size of the stop sign you just ran?  That's the biggest one I've ever seen, dude!".  

One day a child is going to be hit by one of these drivers who can't comprehend the meaning of "stop".  After that, I'm sure they will stop, but that won't be any consolation to the parent of the child.

So who's to blame for this?  The city?  No.  The police department?  Hardly.  The people to blame are the drivers who don't understand the meaning of "stop".  When I taught my oldest to drive I told her that I had two pet peeves about driving in residential areas and one pet peeve about driving in general.  The general pet peeve is that, regardless of where you are going, the seatbelt goes on.  That's for you, your passengers and it doesn't matter if you're the driver or the passenger.  The residential pet peeves are drive the speed limit and come to a complete stop at a stop sign.  I saw her coast through a stop sign - once.  Ask her if she'll ever do it again.  So back to the "who's to blame" thing, it is the people operating the motor vehicles.  Last year, when the police department increased their presence in Bluff Park by putting traffic enforcement units on Shades Crest Road, Park Avenue, Chapel Road and every other paved street in Bluff Park, residents complained because they were getting traffic tickets, mostly for speeding.  Well, don't complain if you're doing something illegal.  

The problem, according to the police, is that they can't cover all of Bluff Park at once.  According to the Bluff Park web site, we live in a "police beat" that goes from Sulphur Springs Road to I-65 to Hwy. 31.  That's one cop for a huge amount of space.  Sure, they have a backup unit, but it still leaves a bunch of space.  The opening of the sub-station helped a lot in keeping the patrol vehicle a little closer to Bluff Park at all times, but there are still the times when he or she are not here.

I suggest you keep calling and let them know that the problem is not fixed.  I also know of a place where you can purchase speed bumps for about $200, but the city seems to frown upon that.  I think if enough of us voice our displeasure about this to the right people, something might get done.  You may want to go as far as letting your favorite council member know.

One other thing, folks.  The speed limit on Park Avenue in front of the school is 15 mph in the morning and in the afternoon.  The flashing yellow lights are there to remind you, not to entertain you as you're zooming by.  If a car exits the school and you hit them going over 15 mph, it's your fault, not theirs.  Get my drift?  That extra 45 seconds that you have to spend driving through the school zone won't make you late for work, believe me.

IP Logged
stillfighting
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/08/07 at 4:35pm

Well, it has been about a week since I read the only response that was posted so, I can only believe that most people either don't care or maybe most are not aware of this site or the problem that we have. Also, it appears that the people who scream the loudest are the ones who are heard. It is a sad day when the ones getting the fines are the ones whos complaints are heard. I wonder, are there any of you out there who work in Hoover law enforcement? If so, maybe you could shed some light on how the ones of us who care could be heard. What do we need to do to have our laws enforced? How far does the normal law abiding citizen have to go to get action? Maybe to the point of being threatened by the Police for interrupting their busy schedule of policing other areas? Hey, If I had to cover as much territory as they do every day, it is absolutely impossible for two officers to do effectively. For the love of all that is good and honorable, how do we get this problem addressed? Any reasonable suggestions would certainly be welcomed.

IP Logged
onTop
YaBB Newbies

I Love The Tide !

Reply #3 - 05/11/07 at 10:30am

Need more speed limit signs on shades crest. it would be nice to have one set speed instead of muliple speeds from 25-45 mph. The speed trap between tip top and mr p's is hot right now. I like it, but know its not fair. thats why I would like one speed limit on all of shades crest . I vote 25 mph from hwy 150 to hwy 280. its a neighborhood!

"Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul "Bear" Bryant
  IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/07 at 5:06pm

I am happy to say that I dont have this problem in my area of BP, we have a car going to fast sometimes but not the same as you are talking about. You might want to pop in at the Bluff Park police substation in the shopping center and talk to the officer on duty, see what they have to suggest.

IP Logged
aubie
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 05/14/07 at 3:25pm

The best way to counter speeders is with more police enforcement.  There certainly is more now than we had prior to complaining to the city.  Problem is that the police I've seen hang out in the same places (Shades Crest, Park, Patton Chapel, etc.).  I think if they "spread their shot" a little, it would help slow everyone down

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 05/16/07 at 9:15pm

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I took advantage of my 1st graders field trip to the mayor's office to voice my concerns about speeding in bluff park.  My main concern is Lester Lane, that road is wayyyy too curvy and narrow for the immense speeding that happens up and down that road.  Not to mention the many children that walk down, up and across it after school that are in real danger of getting struck by a car.  Anyway, his assistant gave me her card and told me to contact her about it.  I hate to admit that we soon moved and I never actually contacted her but that might be where you all should go next.  Especially since you have had little to no luck with the police department.  Go to the top!  Call Petelos, maybe if he gets enough nats calling him he will force someone to do something about it.  Just my two cents!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company