"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/05/24 at 2:49pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let MY People Play (Read 4344 times)
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Let MY People Play
06/08/07 at 10:41am

Anybody seen this article [url]http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/118129141159350.xml&coll=2
about the Bucs request to play on Sunday being denied?
Dan Washburn, executive director of the AHSSA is quoted as saying. "Sunday is a day of worship". So is Friday and probably some other days I am not aware of.  
Anybody in favor of seperation of church and state? If you do not want to watch/play in a game on Sunday, don't. But why should your religious beliefs control what I do?  In the meantime I guess I'll have to enjoy those heathens in the NFL. Cool

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Re: Let MY People Play
Reply #1 - 06/08/07 at 2:35pm

I don’t think this is a religious issue as much as an outgoing president trying to flex his muscle and get back at Probst.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/08/07 at 3:41pm

"Anybody in favor of seperation of church and state?"
separation of church and state is no where in the constitution, no law.

has nothing to do with it.

I went to hoover and they have never had games on Sunday. The reasoning was because of school the next day. Also worship could mean a lot of things... does not apply to one religion.

"If you do not want to watch/play in a game on Sunday, don't. But why should your religious beliefs control what I do?"   Do they?  The decision is made not to play on sundays, it benefits the majority.. majority rules in this country... or it should in most cases.  

« Last Edit: 06/08/07 at 8:37pm by BluffParkwriter »  
  IP Logged
bgray
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/10/07 at 7:05pm

well i go to hoover and as much as we would like to have another game on espn,  it is not the priority in the matter. Yeah, i would like to watch another game like that beacuse it is cool. but, you have to remeber this is High School Football. not college not nfl. so there are more restrictions. i can assure you, coach propst priorty is not on how many people are going to watch the game more than winning the game itself. i have met him and played for him briefly, he is a winner and televised or not he is going to be more focused for a win. You also have to think about this; the game will be in Ohio if they play Sunday night there is no way the team will get back in time for school the next day most wont even be ready for school on tuesday either. As much as everyone wants it to happen there are just some things that dont work out as planned. but hey i love hoover i still have two years left so
GO BUCS

Email   IP Logged
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 06/12/07 at 12:43pm

BluffParkwritter I did not mention the Constitution of the law in my post, just asking who is in favor of it. Seems that you may not be. Here is some information from Wikipedia
   The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." The phrase separation of church and state is generally traced to a 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists, where Jefferson spoke of the combined effect of the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. The phrase itself does not appear in the Constitution, but it has been quoted in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court.
Good point about the Sunday game causing some missed school bgray. You give a much better reason for not playing the game than did Dan Washburn.
Finally, we live in a republic, not a democracy so it is not, "majority rules". Protection of the rights of the minority is one of the things that makes our country great.  Cool

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/07 at 1:15pm

Coolschool,
sorry if you took that as an attack, it was not.
Yes separation of church and state is located in  the 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists, there for not in the constitution.

The first amendment in respect to that for an example is that the state or country could not establish a religion to be the official religion. You cold go a lot deeper than that now it has been stretched to mean a lot of things.  

To answer your statement to if I am in favor of separation of church and state, I think you missed my point that it had nothing to do with the football games, but to answer your question yes I am, I would not want the state to establish a religion or force someone to follow. Christ never forced anyone to follow him.. why should I or the Gov for that matter.

if you really want to get tech about it we are a democratic republic...........

anyway, I can see your point if you wanted to watch or attend a game on Sunday you would be in favor. I think the former football player said it best in his above post bgray post, as to what the total reasoning is.

IP Logged
CoolSchool
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 06/12/07 at 3:12pm

BPW (can I call you that for short) thanks for the reply. I understand better now what you are saying. I think part of what I was getting at in my original post was the statement Sunday is a day or worship is not true for people who are not Christian. And for that matter every day should be a day of worship.  Cool

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/12/07 at 6:06pm

BPW I like that  Cheesy  Grin

"I understand better now what you are saying."
oh good Smiley I guess I was not very clear... happens with one dimensional communication.

"I think part of what I was getting at in my original post was the statement Sunday is a day or worship is not true for people who are not Christian. And for that matter every day should be a day of worship."

You are so right Smiley

IP Logged
bgray
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 06/24/07 at 3:48pm

apparently i was wrong about the missing school because a friend of mine who plays told me they will be playing tuesday.... If all these alligations are dropped

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company