"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/14/24 at 6:06pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bluff Park History (Read 6759 times)
Fred Little
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Bluff Park History
06/16/07 at 3:10pm

Does anyone know the history of the old hotel that was on Shades Crest Road in the early 1900's? My Grandmother told me of riding the carriage after church on Sundays to have lunch there. Also, there was a stone home on Shades Crest Road where the interstate crosses now that was torn down in the late 60's, It was either a speakeasy or a gambling house. There was a tunnel that went from the basement under Shades Crest Road and came out on the side of the mountain. I know this to be true because we used to party there after school  and on weekends. I would love to know the story about this place. It was beautiful and sat right in the middle of Shades Crest Road with a stone wall around it. I am sure Mrs.Ethel Hale who taught 4'th grade at Bluff Park would know but I am sure she has probably been dead for years. Her father was one of the original pioneers of BP. She was a very interesting lady that was very tough on her students. Is there anyone else besides me that would like to know all the history of Bluff Park? undecided undecided
(attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Bluff Park History
Reply #1 - 06/16/07 at 4:29pm

We have couple of sections set up on the history of Bluff Park on the web site.

The first is under the Information page of the site: http://www.bluffparkal.org/information.htm#History
This is a brief history of the Bluff Park area.  It should be noted that the Hoover Historical Society is located inside the Bluff Park Community School and has tons of reference material and old photographs of both Hoover and Bluff Park.

The second is under the Heather's Corner section: http://www.bluffparkal.org/heathers_corner.htm
Here our own Heather  has undertaken the task of taking some of the historical sections of Bluff Park and writing articles about them.  You will find articles (so far) of Lover's Leap and the Park Avenue district.

The web site is under a year old and we plan on adding lots more as time progresses and provided people are still interested.

Fred shared some great examples of what he remembers growing up in Bluff Park.  If anyone else has examples like Fred's, feel free to post them here.  I'm sure we'd all love to hear about how things used to be in our little community.
(attachment deleted)  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 11:21am

Yes the History Project is an ongoing thing right now. I am working on collecting information on the Shades Crest Historical District right now, which will include the hotel.
(attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
Fred Little
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 1:23pm

If I  may be of assistance to you I will be happy to. I can give you some information on some of the things that occured in the 60's and 70's. I am 54 years old now and moved there in 1962.
We did some pretty fun things such as the Plaza Pop Festival and the Plaza 500 car race.Forest Seale who owned and built the Shades Mountain Plaza allowed us kids to do a lot of fun things there. These events that myself, Bobby Beachum, and others cooked up brought hordes of people young and old.  You can e-mail me at frlittle@aol.com
(attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
CG4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 3:05pm

Fred I think that old house was called the Linger Longer Lodge or something? I could be confused with another house on the mountain but that sounds right.  

I have always been interested in Bluff Park's history. Last year I read an interesting collection of Essays : Essays on the Bluff Park community : Shades Mountain, Hoover, Alabama (976.1 ESS). You can check it out at Hoover Library (or another Jefferson County library if you request it). It was put together by a class at Samford. If you ask the librarians at the Hoover library, they can show you a lot of different sources that aren't on the shelves.  

There is also A History of Hoover, Alabama and its People by Barefield - which pretty much references all prior available sources. I found a little here and there in some other general history books on Jefferson County, but those two pretty much cover it all.
(attachment deleted)  

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 07/06/07 at 6:30pm

Heather has written a great story, with Fred Little's help, and it can be seen on the web site:

http://www.bluffparkal.org/heathers_corner_plaza_pop_festival.htm

Check it out!  

If you're a "walking history book" and have some stories you'd like to to contribute, let Heather know.  Her e-mail address is listed with the story.  And while you're at it, let her know what a terrific job she's doing with these stories!
(attachment deleted)  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company