"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 3:05pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Leash Law (Read 5540 times)
meredithshepherd
YaBB Newbies

Leash Law
09/09/07 at 5:36pm

If I am not mistaken I believe there is a leash law around here.  

On several occassions we have had LARGE black rotweiller with no leash or collar roaming around our neighbor's yards and comes into our garage and yard. There are lots of small children around here. I do not appreciate dog owners who have no consideration for their neighbors or their animals. Unfortunately, it is very possible that the dog could hurt a child or an adult. I have called the Animal Control Dept. several times and i am sure the dog is already moved on by the time the truck gets to our street.  

I am unable to corral the dog because he has no collar.  Next time I will try to follow him in my car.  
Any ideas would be appreciated!

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Re: Leash Law
Reply #1 - 09/09/07 at 6:05pm

meredithshepherd,
I saw a lost dog sign on my way to work. It was for 2 dogs missing "Sugar Ray" and another name..  
I just glanced at the description but I do know that it said something about a rottweiler.. I think.

I will look at it again on my way home from work tonight.. it will be like 10p so I will post late.

If anyone else has seen the signs they might know. The one I saw was at the intersection of Farley Road and Farley Place

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 09/09/07 at 6:11pm

I was almost finished with a long post.  Somehow I lost it.  Here's an abbreviated version.  As much as I love to disagree with you, Meredith,  I have had this problem.  But I don't think this is just a Bluff Park problem.  Can anyone tell me exactly what the leash laws are?  I always thought - 'no dog outside a fence without a leash'.  Most times, the dogs do have identification and I can call the owner.  Sometimes I have to run them off, which is very hard for me as an animal lover.  I can't have my one outdoor cat threatened by dogs.

IP Logged
meredithshepherd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 09/09/07 at 6:42pm

StrayCatMom- This is wonderful. We have found a common ground.  
  My understanding is exactly what you stated about the leash being needed when out of a fence.
  I would be surprised if this case was one of a lost dog. I have seen him for quite some time now and in the same area. Almost as if the owner is just letting the dog out to be on his own.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 09/09/07 at 7:20pm

Woohoo!!  There's something here for all of us.  I love common ground and an open mind.  Whatever is wrong, we can fix if we work together.  Communication is critical...

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/09/07 at 8:36pm

Meredith-
I saw a notice on the bullitin board at the pig about 2 lost dogs, one being a black rot mix I think. It was on the board by the door closest the post office. Maybe that will help.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 09/09/07 at 8:59pm

Quote from meredithshepherd on 09/09/07 at 6:42pm:
StrayCatMom- This is wonderful. We have found a common ground.
 My understanding is exactly what you stated about the leash being needed when out of a fence.
 I would be surprised if this case was one of a lost dog. I have seen him for quite some time now and in the same area. Almost as if the owner is just letting the dog out to be on his own.

First chance I've had to post about this since I read the original post.

After reading the post I had to drive to Homewood.  Guess what was walking outside of my house?  The Rotweiller!  I started to follow him, while calling Hoover PD.  HPD advised that they would send an officer by.  I followed the dog to Kenbridge Circle (at one point he went right into a large group of children!).  He went right to one house on Kenbridge, into the backyard.  A man was there and I asked him if it was his dog.  He said yes, had he killed anyone (joking - ha, ha)?  I said no.  Just then HPD called me (I gave them my cell phone number) and the officer asked about the dog.  I told him that he went home and gave him the address.  The officer said he would take a note on it.

The laws are simple:  Your dog gets out and gets picked up, it gets taken to Vestavia Animal Clinic (if they're open).  You get to bail them out for $25.  Next time the fine is higher and the last time it's even higher, plus you get a ticket.  Now that was several years ago when we had a dog that enjoyed escaping out of our yard, so things may have changed.

In the meanwhile, I think this is a good way of using the forum, to communicate.  If anyone wants to know the exact address of the dog, PM me and I'll send it to you.

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 09/09/07 at 9:20pm

We have neighbors across the street that let their dogs out every morning.  I'm guessing to "do their business" (why their yard is not good enough for that I do not know).  One is a VERY loud beagle and the other is a Jack Russell.  They run ALL over the neighborhood for several hours waking up all the other dogs who are in their fences, in their own yards, until the dogs' owners call them home.  It is driving me CRazY!!!  Any suggestions?  I believe that I can file a complaint but I would have to give my name and they would have to tell my neighbors who complained against them.  They are very nice older people and other than the dog problem I really like them.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 09/09/07 at 9:40pm

Quote from fitgrl on 09/09/07 at 9:20pm:
We have neighbors across the street that let their dogs out every morning.  I'm guessing to "do their business" (why their yard is not good enough for that I do not know).  One is a VERY loud beagle and the other is a Jack Russell.  They run ALL over the neighborhood for several hours waking up all the other dogs who are in their fences, in their own yards, until the dogs' owners call them home.  It is driving me CRazY!!!  Any suggestions?  I believe that I can file a complaint but I would have to give my name and they would have to tell my neighbors who complained against them.  They are very nice older people and other than the dog problem I really like them.  

Call the Animal Control Department at 444-7760 and explain the situation to them.  It is unlikely that they will need anything written, just an address.  From there, they will most likely trap the dogs and have the owners bail them out or take them back to the owners but still fine them.

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 09/10/07 at 8:07am

Thanks!

IP Logged
OleBloo

Reply #10 - 09/10/07 at 1:37pm

Leash Law..whats that? Oh you mean that thing where they warn you, fine you, final step arrest you? Or shall we just skip to Plan B and have what happen to a family member of my home, no warning, to fines, just arrested. What was this over, oh just a neighbor called the police to say my 3lbs dog was in his yard. Cute huh?

*~OleBloo~*
Email   IP Logged
roxy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #11 - 09/10/07 at 3:00pm

I WHEN TO THE HOOVER WEB  PAGE TO HELP OUT WITH THE LEASH LAW QUESTION  
this is what I read.
1st offence $40.00
2nd offence $75.00
3rd  offence a court appearence is required  

the verbage was .... to be upon a street or sidewalk, thoroughfare or public place ,the dog had to be on a leash or in the hands of the owner  , it didn't say residence yards

I didn't read anything about arrests  

this was the Animal Control web page not Hoover Police
Hope this helps

roxy roxy   IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/10/07 at 3:22pm

I checked for the sign I saw and it was gone.
As to one of the other posters had said there is one of the same down at the Pig also in Alford Ave Vet office . I guess its a different dog than the one from the original post.. being that he is home now.

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/10/07 at 5:20pm

Quote from fitgrl on 09/09/07 at 9:20pm:

Have you tried a tactful (anonymous if desired) note in the owners mailbox. They may not realize how disturbing it is to other neighbors. Most people think other people will love their pet as much as they do and don't see how others may not be so thrilled with Sparky's abnoxius bark. I think before we all jump to whistleblowing, police calling, complaint filing, we should all (myself included) try to work these things out among ourselves. After all, we are all neighbors and want BP to be enjoyable to all who live here.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 09/10/07 at 9:02pm

I totally agree, PharmD.

IP Logged
stillfighting
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 09/11/07 at 5:25am

here's my feeling on this situation, I have had pets in the past. none now. the bottom line is, everyone will not enjoy your pets the way you do so do not expect that to happen. keep them to yourself, in your house, on your property. respect other peoples property. your rights end where mine begin.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 09/15/07 at 2:19pm

What makes me mad about dog owners who have HUGE dogs and walk them on a leash is that they let their dogs "do their business" on other people's lawns and don't clean it up.   Angry  

I have just had the misfortune of mowing my lawn where it appears that on a certain section a whole herd of "large elephants" must have been housed unbeknownst to me because it was awful!  Right by my mailbox where I have to stand to get my mail is another favorite place for these "large elephants".  I have yet to see any large dogs running around off a leash in my area, so I know the owner's have to be allowing this.

People, for goodness sake, be a conscientious and considerate neighbor and carry a Pooper Scooper and plastic bag with you when you walk these elephants!  I shouldn't have to clean up after your animal, and I shouldn't have to hose down my mower because I didn't see your animal's "business" in time!

I'm an animal lover and have a very small dog who is allowed out on a leash in my own backyard, and I clean up after it!

IP Logged
Mrs. B

Reply #17 - 09/20/07 at 12:54pm

Here is irony for you...the Hoover policeman on our street lets his dog run anywhere and everywhere.
I have found that moth ball crystals sprinkled on the grass at the curb pretty much discourages dogs....you might have to replenish after a rain....and weekly....but dogs aren't dumb....the learn to avoid my yard....and a little goes a long way and it only takes 2 or 3 weeks.

Now, if we figure out how to get folks to STOP at stop signs....I counted 43 people running/rolling stop this morning between 5:45 am and 7:30 am.

IP Logged
roxy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 09/20/07 at 3:08pm

GrinWouldn't  it be GREAT if moth balls worked at stop signs!!!!!!

roxy roxy   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 09/20/07 at 3:26pm

Thanks for the advice!  The stock on mothballs should go sky high today because I plan to buy a lot of it when I get off work!  

I knew mothball crystals keep snakes away....they don't like the smell or the feel of the crystals as they slither over them.....didn't think about dogs not liking them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company