"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/04/24 at 2:30pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keeping Bluff Park Beautiful (Read 1920 times)
HFam
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Keeping Bluff Park Beautiful
09/17/07 at 9:59pm

As many of you have written and discussed on this forum, we have been noticing a decline in the upkeep of homes and especially yards in the area.  This is such a beautiful area and a wonderful place to raise a family.  We hate to see the decline.  
While discussing this problem, we came to the conlusion that a lof of the people who are not keeping their property up might just not be able to due to age, disability, work schedule, etc.  Would any of you who agree with us on wanting to keep up the area, be willing to join a volunteer group of people who would offer to maintain yards in the area?   This is just in the brainstorming stages on our part, but would love to get some feedback from others on the forum.  Complaining amongst ourselves hasn't seemed to work very well, so maybe we could try to be a little more proactive to help both ourselves and others  Smiley

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Re: Keeping Bluff Park Beautiful
Reply #1 - 09/18/07 at 2:59pm

What A wonderful idea.
I can help, although I can not run a lawn mower I can plant flowers or trim bushes.

It would be a good idea to talk to some churches they can help identify some older people who might need some help.

keep in mind also that some people just dont want keep their yards up and dont want to pay for a cleaning crew.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 09/18/07 at 3:19pm

I'll be more than happy to help. I have a riding lawnmower and a push mower. Just let me know what we need to do.

IP Logged
HFam
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 09/18/07 at 8:48pm

Thanks for the feedback!  We're pretty good with ideas, but I'm not sure how good we are with logistics  Grin  

Talking to churches to get names is a great idea.  We could also make a flyer that we could put on a mailbox if we see a situation where the people might need/want some help in our own neighborhoods.  Do you guys have any other ideas?

We have a riding mower and lots of other lawn toys Smiley  

If anyone feels like they could do a good job leading/organizing this group, we would welcome that, or else we will do our best.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Re: ideas
Reply #4 - 09/18/07 at 10:47pm

Just some thoughts:

THe group that is going to do this would need to have some sort of structure, kind of like the neighborhood watch:  
*Leader-
*Yard work Volunteers/Phone List-
*Advertisement / Flyers-
*A way for people to contact if they need help- an email address set up of one person for them to call and then the person assigns a volunteer to go cut yard or whatever.. you might could base it by area of Bluff Park.. one or 3 people cover "so many streets"

Some General Rules to think about:
pick age limits to volunteers ex: 19 and up or do we want to go let minors help
work in  groups of 2 for someone we dont know
will we accept donations?

I think with the churches, if you go to church in this area or know someone who does, ask in the church who you need to talk to about notifying the congregation that there is a volunteer group helping with distressed yards for older residents or people who are unable to keep up their yard.

we might have to come up with a contract or release form for the owner to sign about "not being responsible for plants that die or dead grass etc."

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company