"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/19/24 at 8:52am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
scoop on BP/Hoover schools? (Read 2610 times)
interestedinbp
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

scoop on BP/Hoover schools?
01/22/09 at 11:22pm

Hi!

I am very interested in knowing what you think about BP Elementary, Simmons and Hoover High as academic schools.  My family is considering a move to the BP area.    

What do you think about these schools?  Have any of you transferred into BP/Hoover schools from other local schools and mind sharing your experience and compare/contrast?  Are the students at these schools motivated learners or are they disaffected and disinterested in anything other than social?  Are the parents generally serious adults or do they want to party with their kids and be popular?  I am worried about the loss of the parent/child dynamic that I have seen in one local school system.  Are the school administrators afraid to hold kids to behavior standards because they are afraid of parents getting on their case?  Or do they take care of problems and keep kids safe and undistracted?  Again, a bad experience at another system is informing this question.

My child (little boy) is VERY young so it is hard to make these decisions so far ahead but I have to try.  Thanks in advance for all the input.  

I appreciate your candor very much.

InterestedinBP

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: scoop on BP/Hoover schools?
Reply #1 - 01/23/09 at 8:19am

Quote from interestedinbp on 01/22/09 at 11:22pm:
Hi!

I am very interested in knowing what you think about BP Elementary, Simmons and Hoover High as academic schools.  My family is considering a move to the BP area.  

What do you think about these schools?  Have any of you transferred into BP/Hoover schools from other local schools and mind sharing your experience and compare/contrast?  Are the students at these schools motivated learners or are they disaffected and disinterested in anything other than social?  Are the parents generally serious adults or do they want to party with their kids and be popular?  I am worried about the loss of the parent/child dynamic that I have seen in one local school system.  Are the school administrators afraid to hold kids to behavior standards because they are afraid of parents getting on their case?  Or do they take care of problems and keep kids safe and undistracted?  Again, a bad experience at another system is informing this question.

My child (little boy) is VERY young so it is hard to make these decisions so far ahead but I have to try.  Thanks in advance for all the input.  

I appreciate your candor very much.

InterestedinBP

My input:

We moved to Bluff Park when my oldest was in 2nd grade.  She joined Bluff Park Elementary School in the middle of the year.  Since then, she has graduated from Hoover High School, my middle child is a senior at Hoover High School and my youngest is in 7th grade at Simmons.  All three went through, in my opinion, the finest elementary school in the entire system.  Siimmons Middle School is one of the best in the system not only because of their administration, but also because of their faculty and low teacher to student ratio.  Hoover High School is a great school, again due to the administration and the faculty.  But it is not for everyone.  It's a HUGE school that at times "loses" students.  It is important that the parent remain involved in these last four years.  Let them know that you and your child exist.

As a whole, we spent 12 consecutive years at Bluff Park Elementary, since our kids are each 4 years apart.  For those 12 years there was never a time when we didn't have a child there.  And wouldn't have it any other way.  My spouse attended Bluff Park as a child, so our children were second generation BPES'ers.  Dr. Fancher is an incredible principal, the faculty is top-notch and even the lunch room is recognized by the USDA as being one of the best in the country.  Unlike other elementary schools in Hoover, Bluff Park begins the multi-teacher environment in the 5th grade, so by the time the kids reach middle school (Simmons), they are already a step ahead of the Green Valley and Gwin kids.

Simmons had Mrs. Barber as a principal for nearly 18 years and is now headed by Mr. Cain.  Both share a trait in that they challenge the students and faculty to be the best, yet the human factor is not gone.  The extra curricular programs at Simmons are outstanding, as are the facilities.

A large part of your question deals with issues that are more high school oriented than the lower grades (parent/student dynamics, discipline, etc.), so let me tackle that head on as it relates to Hoover High School and my experience.  Mr. Hulin is the principal at HHS.  He's the 5th principal in five years there.  I hope he the last until my youngest graduates.  Mr. Hulin is a very fair individual who doesn't play favorites.  What counts for one student counts for all of them.  Regarding the parent/student dynamics, every school has your "cool mom or dad" who think they need to be friends with their kids first, and parents second, and Hoover isn't isolated from them.  But the majority of the students at HHS come from middle to upper-middle class families where the parents didn't get to be where and what they are by thinking they need to be cool.  Hoover schools and Hoover PD work very closely together and try to mitigate these issues by having a good supply of School Resource Officers at each campus.  I suppose the only negative I can say about HHS is the Freshman Center, which is where the 9th graders go.  Last year, the opening year of the FC, there were a number of negative comments, although I can't confirm any of them as non of my children attended the FC.  This year there have been almost no negative comments.  One reason for that may be that there is a new principal at the FC and at the senior campus.  Unlike last year, the principal of the FC reports to the principal of the senior campus.

In the past two years I have personally spent a lot of time learning more about Hoover City Schools.  We are very fortunate to live in a city where the citizens put their school system ahead of other things.  The resources given to the schools spare very little expense.  From a technology standpoint, we are blessed to have the best.  Our school board constantly makes sure that our teachers are some of the best paid in the state so that we can draw from the best candidates.  I've attended more than one school board meeting where Mr. Bolt, the vice-president of the board, will ask if our teacher salaries are at or above our neighboring communities.  

I can't speak for the other schools in Hoover that my children didn't attend.  My oldest did attend Rocky Ridge Elementary from K through half of the 2nd grade.  It was OK, but it didn't compare to Bluff Park.  I suggest going to the Hoover School Community Information Network web site and looking at the school report cards given by the state.  Bluff Park consistently comes out on top.  

Good luck in your decision and I hope this helped a little bit.

IP Logged
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 01/23/09 at 8:28am

No real surprise here, but we love Bluff Park Elementary!!!  

We transferred from a Shelby County school and are soo much happier!  We have found that like anywhere, there are going to be parents that are very involved, over-involved, and not-involved...plus anything in between!!  There are definitely tons of very involved parents at Bluff Park that are genuinely concerned for their child's education and want to do everything they can to support that end. I haven't heard of parents partying with their kids but maybe you are referring to the older kids?

There are always going to be some teachers that aren't over-the-moon fabulous but the majority of the teachers at Bluff Park are incredible!  My children are in Kindergarten and 4th grade and their teachers are, and for the majority of the years have been, beyond great!  They genuinely have a desire to teach all that they can and make great efforts to get the kids to think creatively and to be great problem solvers.

As for the parent/child dynamic, I think Bluff Park really encourages parent involvement at the school.  They are constantly offering opportunities for parents to be at the school.  I've never had any problems with my kids classes but I've heard from others that Dr. Fancher, the principal, is very supportive of his staff and doesn't let the parents rule the school, though he does take action when action is needed.  I for one can't stand it when the schools cater to the parents over the teachers (unless, of course, absolutely necessary).  

There are tons of examples of Bluff Park students going on to do amazing things!  I'm sure someone else on here could give more examples of that but it seems like our students are constantly being mentioned in the newspaper for one award/accomplishment or another.  

My kids are obviously still in Elementary school so I can't speak to Simmons and Hoover from that perspective but my husband and I went to both of those schools and loved them!  Of course middle school brings on tons of new challenges with barely-teenagers and hormones galore!!  Not looking forward to my kids being that age but I know they will be well-prepared having gotten a great education at Bluff Park!  Anyone else have more info about experiences at Simmons & Hoover?

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 01/23/09 at 2:40pm

Just to chime in. My daughter is in the 2nd grade at Bluff Park Elem. She loves it, I love it, my wife loves it and best of all I am astounded at how fast she has learned. She reads way better than I did at the same age. The teachers care and parents are very involved. I don't have another school to compare it to because she started there in K. I have heard good things about Simmons and Hoover High but I can't speak from experience. I actually moved from Homewood to BP because I think the schools (especially BP Elem) are superior. I believe they have won the blue ribbon award several times which goes to the highest rated school in the state (or something to that effect).

IP Logged
DadOfTwo
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 01/24/09 at 6:47am

Bluff Park Elem. is an awesome school.  I have two boys. My oldest started at Bluff Park 1/2 way through K and is now at Simmons.  My youngest is now in 2nd grade.  My wife and I could not be happier with the education our children are receiving.  

Last year I chaperoned several 5th graders to Dauphin Island, for a school field trip. I was absolutely amazed.  The teachers were in total control the entire time and the kids were so well mannered.  I admit, I was not looking forward to the trip.  But it turned out to be a great experience.  I look forward to my youngest, being in 5th grade, so I can go again.  

So far Simmons, has picked up right where Bluff Park left off with my oldest. It was an adjustment at first, but only for my wife an I.  My oldest son absolutely loves it.  

One last thought.  Its probably the most important.  Both of my boys "LOVE" school.  It doesn't get any better than that.

IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 01/24/09 at 11:26am

I didn't go to Bluff Park Elementary, I went to Gwin and loved it.  The teachers were amazing and always pushing you to excel.  I did however go to Simmons and Hoover High and would recommend them to anyone.  Simmons has wonderful programs for kids (sports, drama, choir, band, etc.) that many school systems just can't afford.  Also, Hoover High is wonderful.  I was there at one of its largest times, and I never felt like just a number.  Its all about making friends and going to class.  THere is always plenty to be involved with, and if someone says they felt like just a number, they must not have talked to anyone at all.  Out of 2000 people, there are definitely 5-10 people for everyone!

stangviperred   IP Logged
2babies1dog
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 01/25/09 at 1:06pm

Check out this site on BirminghamMoms.com  It was interesting to me that you can put in your zip code and it will tell you the stats for the different schools in the area.  35226 is the Bluff Park zip code.
http://www.birminghammom.com/2008/03/compare-public-school-ratings.html

IP Logged
interestedinbp
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 01/25/09 at 9:21pm

A huge, huge thank you to everyone for your comments and your links to more info.  I would respond to you each individually but I won't clog up the forum with my gratitude.

Readers, please keep posting if you have anything else to add.  I am very encouraged by what I'm reading!  

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 01/26/09 at 5:25pm

I could go on and on, but let me cut to the chase and tell you that my grandson is third generation at Bluff Park Elem!!!  How cool is that?

IP Logged
think pink
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 01/26/09 at 5:32pm

Both my children went to Bluff Park. They are now at Simmons and at the high school. We had a great experience. I was a parent volunteer. The teachers are wonderful. My boys stiil talk about their experiences and often wish they could go back in time!! You will not find a finer school than BP Smiley Cool

IP Logged
interestedinbp
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 01/31/09 at 2:12pm

Thanks again, everyone, for the great feedback!  I will keep an eye out for more postings, if anyone has more to say.  Again, thanks to all!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company