"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/01/24 at 7:44am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange Person Trying to Sell Books at 9:00pm (Read 2951 times)
Happeningonthepark
Ex Member

Strange Person Trying to Sell Books at 9:00pm
08/01/09 at 10:17pm

Tonight at 9:00 I got a strange knock on my front door.  I did have some lights on in the house, but the front and side porch lights were both out.   The person was a young blonde with a foreign accent - european - german, swedish, something of that nature, thin gal probably in her early to mid 20's.  She was wearing a tee shirt and leggins that came to her knee.  Anyway, it was late and I went through my side door and called her over to ask what she wanted.  She said she was trying to sell school books that she had to see 30 houses a day and I was number 29.  Anyway, I told her it was too late for me to discuss this with her.  She did have some form of a badge around her neck.  She then left driving down Park Avenue towards Farley.  I watched her and if she had to go to 30 houses, I don't know why she didn't stop at either of my neighbors house, both of which had their front porch lights on, one of my niehbors quite  obvious they have kids, MUCH more so than my house.  She didn't stop anywhere on my block or at least until she got out of my site range.  She was driving a small white prism style car (hard to see it was parked on Park Avenue in front of my house where there are no street ights. The car appeared to be in good condition.   I did call the police to have them aware of this strange door to door salesperson at such an odd hour.  Keep your eyes open! :)

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Strange Person Trying to Sell Books at 9:00pm
Reply #1 - 08/01/09 at 10:44pm

Quote from Happeningonthepark on 08/01/09 at 10:25pm:
Hi guys - sorry for the 2 posts, but I wasn't able to get on at first and asked a friend to post this for me, so the 2 "strange" posting are the same!

We removed the other post, so there's only one now (and we're glad you were able to log on)

The type of visit you experienced was covered by Ofc. Foreman during the Neighborhood Watch meeting that we had.  Although young European females were not the usual types of visitors, he did say that door-to-door types were.  Their goal was twofold.  First, to see if anyone is home and second, to see what you have in your house.  The latter goal is used more by the "vacuum cleaner" sales people who offer to clean your carpet for free.  

Another type of scoping out method used is placing notices on mailboxes.  The "bad guys" look to see which mailboxes still have the notice on them to determine what house may be vacant.  Our neighbor is out of town and we had a car come by today placing notices on mailboxes.  I asked them to remove the one from my mailbox (then told them to leave our neighborhood, which they did), then I walked over and took the one off my neighbors mailbox.

Thanks for posting the notice.  It's important for everyone to keep their eyes open and we're happy to provide a place to post these things.  Maybe sooner or later these crooks will get the idea that Bluff Park isn't the place to commit their crimes.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
teatucker

Welsh with no tail

Reply #2 - 08/02/09 at 11:52am

We had a person selling newspaper subscriptions do the same thing a few months ago.

IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 08/02/09 at 12:16pm

Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 08/01/09 at 10:44pm:
......Another type of scoping out method used is placing notices on mailboxes.  The "bad guys" look to see which mailboxes still have the notice on them to determine what house may be vacant.  Our neighbor is out of town and we had a car come by today placing notices on mailboxes.  I asked them to remove the one from my mailbox (then told them to leave our neighborhood, which they did), then I walked over and took the one off my neighbors mailbox.

Haven't done the neighbor hood watch thing yet, but thats a good notice for all of us.  If someone sticks things to your mailboxes, take them down for neighbors not home.  They will appreciate it in many ways!

IP Logged
friendofbp

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 08/05/09 at 11:11pm

Hey Y'all,
Someone in my family talked to someone who fits this description over a month
ago.
We live on Rockland , which is off Park Ave.
Then she was seen walking on Valley Street (the one across the street from
the Bluff Park Fire Dept. and both times she was on foot.)
She said she was from a small country near Russia.
I think if she was legit, she needs to know that this could be dangerous
for her own personal safety.

IP Logged
buterfly010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 08/19/09 at 3:06am

This same girl has been selling these books all over the South Shades Crest area this summer.  They are college students and different students have sold these books in our area during the summer for several years now.  They are educational books called Libraries, they come in 3 different volumes and are to be used as a quick reference guide to basically all of your core subjects such as math, science, english, reading, etc... They also sell  SAT/ACT prep cd's and various other educational items.  The company that publishes this material is called Southwestern Company and I believe they are in Nashville Tennessee. I did buy a whole set year before last, but, I must confess that my children have not used them.  This same girl came by my house a few weeks ago and I told her upfront that I wasn't going to buy anything but, I did listen to her sales pitch just because they do have to talk to so many people a day.  The tag around her neck tells that she is an independent contractor selling Southwestern Company material, it gives her name and also states that the company ( which as I mentioned above, I believe they work as an independent contractor so she doesn't work directly for Southwestern but, another company)_ is a member of the  Better Business Bureau.   I agree that 9:00 is way too late but, I guess she had not met her quota.   Here is a link to Southwestern Company that will tell you a little more about them.         http://www.southwesternathome.com/AboutSW.aspx

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company