"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/21/24 at 12:53am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Drinking establishment (Read 11518 times)
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Drinking establishment
Reply #15 - 01/26/12 at 7:00am

Same question can be asked about my chips and salsa "addiction"...all that
Sodium and fried corn can't be good for me.  It's like many things in life, enjoy  
It in moderation.  It's excessiveness that tends to get folks in trouble (too much
Soda, coffee,heck too much flossing can be bad for you)

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #16 - 01/26/12 at 8:59am

I don't think BP needs a full blown bar and there is no way you are going to get BP Diner and Tip Top to sell alcohol.  

We need something like a scaled down version of the Boot in the Preserve.  Family friendly, great food and you can get a beer or glass of wine if you need it.  Skip the liquor - It makes people crazy.  

Maybe even a sit down pizza place.

IP Logged
RockviewResident

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #17 - 01/26/12 at 1:58pm

A sit down pizza place that sold beer would be fantastic.

War Eagle!
  IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 01/26/12 at 5:11pm

Let me get this straight HarvardMBA; Wine was served at Jesus' last supper, most of our founding fathers drank whiskey (many distilled their own), and you want to quote from "Rick and Bubba" as to why there should be no drinking establishment in our community?  Last time I checked, this was a free country, Mr HarvardMBA.  I don't need to justify to you or anyone else what I choose to do.

Email   IP Logged
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 01/26/12 at 7:10pm

Teeechr, sorry if you took my comment as a personal attack. It was not meant to be. My comment was more pointed toward the fact that a lot of people do not enjoy being around alcohol while dining out and I would almost have to believe that the local eateries have already looked into the possibility of having it. Granted, you can certainly do as you wish with your own money and decision making regarding alcohol consumption. Back to my original comment about Rick&Bubba, I have to ask another question. How do you glorify GOD when drinking alcohol?

Email   IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #20 - 01/26/12 at 7:43pm

HarvardMBA, you glorify God however you see fit and I'll do the same.  All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with me or anyone else that chooses, to sit down in a public place and have a cold beer, glass of wine, or drink.  But since you're on the glorify God thing, isn't wine used in communion? Didn't Jesus and his disciples drink wine?

I have no control over what Tip Top Grill offers to eat or drink.  What I am saying is I feel there is a substantial number of people in our community that would enjoy such an establishment.  If such a place were to be established you can frequent it or not.  It's would be your choice.  

Businesses exist to produce goods or provide a service and hopefully make a profit, not to glorify God.

Email   IP Logged
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 01/26/12 at 9:27pm

well, I guess you have solidly identified you priorities

Email   IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 01/26/12 at 10:14pm

Quote from bluffparkdmd on 01/26/12 at 7:00am:
Same question can be asked about my chips and salsa "addiction"...all that
Sodium and fried corn can't be good for me.  It's like many things in life, enjoy
It in moderation.  It's excessiveness that tends to get folks in trouble (too much
Soda, coffee,heck too much flossing can be bad for you)

My thoughts exactly...

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #23 - 01/27/12 at 8:34am

What makes this country great is that you have a choice in everything you do.  If you don’t want to go to a restaurant that serves alcohol then don’t go.  It’s like TV, if you don’t like what’s on …turn the channel.  MBA please tone down the condemnation.  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #24 - 01/27/12 at 9:42am

Quote from teeechur on 01/26/12 at 7:43pm:
HarvardMBA, you glorify God however you see fit and I'll do the same.  All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with me or anyone else that chooses, to sit down in a public place and have a cold beer, glass of wine, or drink.  But since you're on the glorify God thing, isn't wine used in communion? Didn't Jesus and his disciples drink wine?

I have no control over what Tip Top Grill offers to eat or drink.  What I am saying is I feel there is a substantial number of people in our community that would enjoy such an establishment.  If such a place were to be established you can frequent it or not.  It's would be your choice.  

Businesses exist to produce goods or provide a service and hopefully make a profit, not to glorify God.

Interesting debate here.  

You're quoting the Bible to make your point on alcohol consumption (communion, Last Supper, etc.), but your last sentence indicates that businesses exist to make a profit, not to glorify God.  The same Bible that you're quoting in the first part of your post also says that everything we do should be to glorify God.  Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  Can you imagine what this world would be if everyone glorified God through their everyday actions?  Wow!

But back to the topic.  I'm in agreement with you as to needing an establishment that serves beer or wine.  Yummy China was granted that license a few months ago by the city council, so there is precedent in place.  The problem is that not too many people want strictly an Asian menu every time they go out to eat.  We do need a little bit of variety.  The wing restaurant's atmosphere does not lend itself for laid back/relaxed dining as what you probably have in mind, and neither does New China, and neither does that pizza place.

Moonlight on the Mountain has the right setting, allows the alcohol to be brought in, but doesn't serve food.  

The bigger problem in Bluff Park is "if they build it, will residents come?".  If a business person invests the money into building a restaurant as you have described, will we become "regular" patrons?  That's a tough question.  I know we go to New China on a regular basis.  When they were on vacation and closed earlier this month it threw off dinner plans for one evening.  On the other hand, Yummy China I find to be an overpriced, low selection place that is almost always empty.  How they stay in business is beyond my comprehension.  What if another restaurant opens that serves a more American menu and serves beer/wine.  Will be keep it in business by going on a regular basis?  Or will they fold after a year or two?

I believe that Customer Service is paramount in a business' success.  This is why New China thrives.  This is why Bluff Park Hardware remains in business, even with a Home Depot and Lowe's within a ten minute drive.  This is why Tip Top is packed at lunch time.  But how many businesses have we seen come and go in the last twenty years in Bluff Park?  Was it because their customer service was sub-par?  Or because their wares where not what Bluff Park residents wanted?  I don't know.  All I know is that those who've been here for a while do so because they care about who walks through the front door and offers a good product.

We all agree that Bluff Park needs a coffeshop and a pizza place, hamburger joint, <insert food style here> restaurant that serves beer and wine.  The question is:  how often will we go to it?

Oh, one other thing...one of the most successful fast food restaurants combines both the Christian values of its founder, as well as top-notch customer service in its everyday business practices.  The business?  Chick-fil-a.  Take a look at Dan Cathy's philosophy...which is to glorify God through his actions: http://www.cathyfamily.com/resources/leadership-toolkit.aspx  

Finally, this very web site, BluffParkAL.org.  It began as a place to spread some immediate news about Bluff Park to its residents back in 2006.  Through the talents of others, it grew to include some great historical articles about our community.  In 2007 the Bluff Park Forum was added, which gave multi-way and immediate communication to residents.  Because of BluffParkAL.org, programs such as Adopt-a-Soldier were able to be implemented.  Just this month, "Learning To Be The Light" was launched, something that would not have been possible without BluffParkAL.org.  LTBTL's mission statement seeks to glorify God through their actions.  So one could say that the very web site that we're posting this one is following Matthew 5:16.  Pretty neat, right?

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #25 - 01/27/12 at 12:49pm

Does Moon Light on the Mountain really Have a beer/wine and or liquor license? the reason why I am asking is because they don't actually serve it to the patron, they bring their own. If they decided to serve food but still let patrons bring their on alcohol would they only have too get a food handler's license?

Speaking of getting a license, is it really that easy to get, or does it take a while? Aren't there different types of licenses and how expensive are they? getting a license, maintaining it, and being able to afford it, and still make profit might be one of the reasons why people don't jump on the band wagon about putting in a drinking establishment.

too me the places you have to worry about where people get out of hand are the ones where anybody could go to it and where it focuses more on alcohol and not food. What would be nice is to have somebody do a survey and see where most of the Bluff park patrons to to local restaurants come from. If most people reside Bluff Park, parts of Vestavia, and maybe West Homewood, and shades crest road (that leads to 150) then it will probably more of a neighborhood atmosphere where people would know each other then people coming from all over the place with different values.  

If you can make the atmosphere right and not make it come across as a place where people might drink to much then you might have a good chance of opening up a restaurant that serves alcohol. Even just a few selections of beer would be nice? Maybe a place could start out with a minimum of types of alcohol they can serve if enough people are buying it with their meal, but are also hinting of getting more of a variety (wine and beer) then maybe the restaurant could look into it.

Keep in mind too, if people are eating while they drink or hopefully ate enough before they wont get too sick from it or cause a raucous  

This isn't a "college" neighborhood so I don't see a bunch of rowdy young adults coming over here being rowdy drinkers. I am sure if people did cause problems (no matter where they are from), then the manager would do their best to control the situation.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #26 - 01/27/12 at 2:32pm

I've been saying this for what seems like forever, but a decent, festive Mexican restaurant that serves good margaritas would freaking kill it in Bluff Park.  Why no one has figured this out yet is beyond my comprehension.  Should have gotten one of those instead of another Chinese place.  It could fill 2 voids in the neighborhood:  1) Mexican, and 2) a place to drink alcohol.  Needs to replace Yummy China when it ultimately goes out of business, or better yet, be built on the vacant lot where the old nursery used to be, with some outside seating.

IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #27 - 01/27/12 at 2:33pm

If you could locate this type place in any existing spot in BP (obviously purely hypothetical), where would be the best spot?  Personally I'd like to see it in the strip with BP Hardware or, even better, extend the parking lot out over the bluff on the north side of Tip Top to accomodate a modest building and more parking.  
( This is totally for discussion's sake so please keep an open mind when replying Smiley )

IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #28 - 01/27/12 at 7:57pm

Well, since you were asking, I think the junk yard across the street from Mr. P's would be a great spot...
-It would remove the junk yard.
-There's already a building there and it's already zoned commercial.
-You could add a second story that would be open-air and offer great views.
-It's in the heart of historic Bluff Park.
-It would keep the spot from becoming a Chinese Restaurant or nail salon.

Email   IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #29 - 01/28/12 at 12:14pm

I'm not familiar with the junk yard-any idea who owns it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company