"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 4:03pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Car break-ins (Read 6970 times)
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Car break-ins
04/11/12 at 8:05am

Hello everyone,
     This morning we have had 7 reported car break-ins that occurred overnight (none in Bluff Park yet).  Just a reminder to everyone please keep your vehicles clear of valuables that someone might want to steal.  Be safe!

Officer Foreman

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Re: Car break-ins
Reply #1 - 04/11/12 at 7:48pm

sorry to burst your bubble, but I just heard my neighbor had his and his wife's vehicle wiped out of every electronic gadget in it.  laptop, phones, iPods.  no equipment, blowers, tools, we're taken.  sounds like a lazy thief.  a lady walking along my street told me that her neighbor 2 doors down had the same thing happen to them.  I haven't seen a police patrol car in over 2 years.  Has Mighty Hoover forgotten Bluff Park once again??  LOCK UP FOLKS!!  KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #2 - 04/12/12 at 6:33pm

these break ins were around the Farley, Avanti, Cambo areas.  Officer, Foreman, any comments?  we need to have some patrolling in the area.  would hate to see anything bad happen in these areas.  it's a pretty tight neighborhood.  I know for sure the neighbors are mightily armed.  fear makes people react in a protective mode.  just saying...

IP Logged
Officer Foreman

Hoover Police
Department

Reply #3 - 04/12/12 at 9:49pm

Hello rolling stone,
    Let me give you some back story before I discuss the car break-ins.  I work uniformed patrol in the Inverness area and under our 12-hour shift schedule, patrol and motor officer’s work on rotating off days and weekends.  I was working yesterday morning when all the car break-in reports started to come in.  Since I handle crime prevention duties part-time, which includes posting on the Department’s Facebook and Twitter sites, I felt it would be a timely reminder to all who follow the web sites that criminals are out and looking for opportunities provided by victims so I posted the update.  I like to post the same information to the Bluff Park web site in case some residents don’t follow Facebook or Twitter.    
     The car break-ins you mentioned happened when I was off.  When I return to work, I can contact records to obtain copies of those reports and follow-up with our property detectives to see if they have any updates or leads.  I will be off the next three days, instructing at the firing range on Monday, and back on patrol Tuesday.  I hope to have an update then.

Thanks,

Officer Foreman

www.hooverpd.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
BPLifer 2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 04/13/12 at 4:24pm

Thank you for keeping up informed of what is going on in our city and neighborhood.  I personally appreciate it.  I'm sorry not everyone else does.

Quote from Officer Foreman on 04/12/12 at 9:49pm:
Hello rolling stone,
   Let me give you some back story before I discuss the car break-ins.  I work uniformed patrol in the Inverness area and under our 12-hour shift schedule, patrol and motor officer’s work on rotating off days and weekends.  I was working yesterday morning when all the car break-in reports started to come in.  Since I handle crime prevention duties part-time, which includes posting on the Department’s Facebook and Twitter sites, I felt it would be a timely reminder to all who follow the web sites that criminals are out and looking for opportunities provided by victims so I posted the update.  I like to post the same information to the Bluff Park web site in case some residents don’t follow Facebook or Twitter.  
    The car break-ins you mentioned happened when I was off.  When I return to work, I can contact records to obtain copies of those reports and follow-up with our property detectives to see if they have any updates or leads.  I will be off the next three days, instructing at the firing range on Monday, and back on patrol Tuesday.  I hope to have an update then.

Thanks,

Officer Foreman

WWW   IP Logged
overhere
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 04/13/12 at 6:00pm

I really don't think our ire is directed at the Officers who actively support us here in BP but, the fact that the coverage is very poor. Way too many residents for too few officers.and the City doesn't give me the impression that they really care how we feel. This subject has been beat to death and all I really want someone in the HPD to do is be honest about it and tell us why the coverage is so lacking. Angry

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 04/13/12 at 8:26pm

Quote from overhere on 04/13/12 at 6:00pm:
I really don't think our ire is directed at the Officers who actively support us here in BP but, the fact that the coverage is very poor. Way too many residents for too few officers.and the City doesn't give me the impression that they really care how we feel. This subject has been beat to death and all I really want someone in the HPD to do is be honest about it and tell us why the coverage is so lacking. Angry

Money.  Former Mayor Petelos and Councilor Smith covered it in detail at the 2008 budget hearing.  In order to give us the adequate coverage we need, 30 Beat (which is what we're in) would need to be split in two, which would require an additional 5* officers (three for regular shifts, 2 for off days), which would translate to $750,000 per year, which was not doable then, and probably is not doable now.

What we can do between the current economic situation and when it gets better, is to form more Neighborhood Watch groups.  We can be the eyes and ears for HPD.  But sometimes we don't want to pick up the phone because we might be wrong about what we saw.

It is what it is.  We can continue to gripe about it (and all of us, including this writer, have) or we can be proactive about it.  Our choice.  Officer Foreman would be more than happy to sit down with residents of a block to form a watch group.  

*Due to the 12 hour shifts that the officers work now, that number may be different.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #7 - 04/13/12 at 11:24pm

Let me tell you guys about the car break ins. My parents live in Homewood. My dad has a tom tom gps he won through a raffel. I thought it was in his Toyota van, but it was in my mom's Toyota Camry. It has only been used maybe twice at the most, according to my parents. About 2 months ago a Homewood Officer came to our door and asked if we had lost a tom tom, because my parents address was on it. My dad had totally forgotten about even having one. Anyways, the person who allegedly stole them (and yes I went to school with him) stole that and went into other peoples cars and stole I think 6 other gps systems and other electronic devices. And guess what. From what the officers were saying is that he only went into unlocked cars to get the stuff. He didn't have to jimmy the lock or anything. I don't know if the perp in Hoover is getting into locked and locked cars, but if he/she is only getting into unlock cars, have some common sense and leave your cars locked at all times, and don't have valuables where they can get them. oh but don't leave your children locked in your cars. Thats a big no no!

Is there such thing as bait cars around here. Not in the sense of somebody driving off with one, but have cars strategically placed and have items in them that people would want to steal and when they steal them, they could some how get caught.

IP Logged
Mrs. B

Reply #8 - 04/14/12 at 7:59am

It absolutely baffles me that folks do not lock their cars or doors.

I lived in a *nice* neighborhood in Baton Rouge and you HAD to keep car and house doors locked.

Locking doors is an easy fix....thieves don't want to take the time and trouble to mess with locked doors for the most part.

IP Logged
overhere
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 04/14/12 at 8:25am

I see a lot of cars that people leave in their driveways all the time when they have perfectly good garages to park in.I wouldn't leave my car out for some thief to break into if I have a garage.

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #10 - 04/16/12 at 12:59pm

there is no need to apologize on my behalf BPLifer.  I've lived in BP for near 40 years now and have just seen the level of Police care and interest dwindle to drops of water.  sure, when a new stop sign is put in, we have that giant rush of ticketing and angry citizens who say "get outta my face, cops"!   this is about some basic needs forour village.  we pay our taxes, just like those newer parts of Hoover do, and are just wanting our interests to be taken care of also.  yes, overhere is right.  we have been asking for this for many years.  sadly, we must keep on begging to have some police coverage for our village.  it just makes you darn angry and resentful.

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #11 - 04/16/12 at 8:19pm

Quote from rolling stone on 04/16/12 at 12:59pm:
there is no need to apologize on my behalf BPLifer.  I've lived in BP for near 40 years now and have just seen the level of Police care and interest dwindle to drops of water.  sure, when a new stop sign is put in, we have that giant rush of ticketing and angry citizens who say "get outta my face, cops"!   this is about some basic needs forour village.  we pay our taxes, just like those newer parts of Hoover do, and are just wanting our interests to be taken care of also.  yes, overhere is right.  we have been asking for this for many years.  sadly, we must keep on begging to have some police coverage for our village.  it just makes you darn angry and resentful.  

Is the problem because Hoover is to big of a city? If it was limited to Jefferson county then would there be more cops for the area? Is there any way to have some cops strictly for traffic issues and others strictly for criminal mischief, or does there have to be an overlap? Can the city hire contract cops or something. I am not sure what it would be called, but I think people get my drift. Wasn't Bluff Park one of the first neighborhoods established for Hoover, and if so, shouldn't this area get first dibs on police enforcement? I thought some cities gave a good home deal for a cop to live in an area and patrol it. Are there any that live in Bluff Park and patrol it.?I would hate for one to live really far away and for it to be an inconvenience to him.

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #12 - 04/17/12 at 2:28pm

peekaboo, yes, Bluff Park was one of the original areas of the city of Hoover.  it has grown tremendously in the last thirty years.  I remember when we only had patrolling by the sheriff's department.  and I think I see much more of that force in our area than HPD.  we have one of the most beautiful areas of Hoover, and I am proud of that fact.  we have great neighbors, schools, and a very nice Arts Center.  but, somewhere along the way we have been forgotten.  I used to see Tony Petelos up at the Tip Top for lunch on occasion, but he has moved on.  and good for him.  I wouldn't know who the new mayor was if I was sitting next to him/her.  why is it wrong to just ask for a bit more of attention.  it's an ongoing and endless request for help.  

neighbors, look out for each other.  sit outside and see what is going on in your areas.  check in on each other.  

could we just get a little bit more help Hoover?

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - 04/18/12 at 5:21am

Quote from rolling stone on 04/17/12 at 2:28pm:
peekaboo, yes, Bluff Park was one of the original areas of the city of Hoover.  it has grown tremendously in the last thirty years.  I remember when we only had patrolling by the sheriff's department.  and I think I see much more of that force in our area than HPD.  we have one of the most beautiful areas of Hoover, and I am proud of that fact.  we have great neighbors, schools, and a very nice Arts Center.  but, somewhere along the way we have been forgotten.  I used to see Tony Petelos up at the Tip Top for lunch on occasion, but he has moved on.  and good for him.  I wouldn't know who the new mayor was if I was sitting next to him/her.  why is it wrong to just ask for a bit more of attention.  it's an ongoing and endless request for help.  

neighbors, look out for each other.  sit outside and see what is going on in your areas.  check in on each other.

could we just get a little bit more help Hoover?

If you didn't get to meet Mayor Gary Ivey when he addressed the Bluff Park community (along with the rest of the city council, State Senator Jabo Waggoner, State Representative Paul DeMarco, and Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis) on November 1 of last year (it was his first public appearance as mayor) at Artists on the Bluff, you can still meet him at any of the city council meetings.  They take place on the first and third Monday of each month at City Hall.

Our council does give any resident the opportunity to address them or the mayor, and all remarks are on the record, so it wouldn't be like you're passing him on the street and saying something to him.  

At the Nov. 1 meeting we all expressed our desire to have more police patrol (as always, which was the reason that BluffParkAL.org came to be in the first place back in 2006), but it obviously wouldn't hurt for our residents to make an appearance at the council meetings and repeat this to them on a regular basis.  It should be noted that they are aware of it, since at least one of our council members not only reads this forum on a regular basis, but also will respond to inquiries, as will Officer Foreman.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #14 - 04/18/12 at 12:06pm

Some clarification about Bluff Park and the City of Hoover,
Bluff Park is the oldest neighborhood in Hoover at the moment, but it was one of the last to be annexed into the city. It was county before that.

« Last Edit: 04/18/12 at 2:05pm by BluffParkWriter »  
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company