"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/29/24 at 9:15pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Images of America "Bluff Park" by Heather Skaggs (Read 8127 times)
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Images of America "Bluff Park" by Heather Skaggs
10/26/12 at 11:06pm

BluffParkAl.org has always been known as "for, by and about Bluff Park, Alabama", our slogan. Now, a book "for, by and about Bluff Park, Alabama" by BluffParkAl.org's very own Heather Skaggs. Kudos to Heather!

From the publisher's site (http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/9780738590998/Bluff-Park):  

Book Description:  
 The community of Bluff Park is home to a variety of residents, ranging from retirees to working families. Historically speaking, Bluff Park was first developed as a mountain resort and summer vacation site. Gardner Cole Hale bought the mountain property in the 1860s and called it Hale Springs. One of the first recorded uses of the name Bluff Park was with the Bluff Park Hotel, built in 1907. After its resort days, the area became more residential. Several of the founding families in Bluff Park settled on the mountain, building homes and farms. One such family, the Hales, ran a lumber mill, a cotton gin, and an icehouse. The Tyler family ran a large dairy farm after they moved to the area around 1888. The community school started around 1899 as a one-room schoolhouse and church, and Bluff Park Elementary is now one of the top elementary schools in the city of Hoover.

Author Bio: Bluff Park became a "cyber" community in 2006 with the launch of the Bluff Park community website BluffParkAL.org. In Images of America: Bluff Park, former editor for FOX6 News and current BluffParkAL.org volunteer Heather Jones Skaggs presents a collection of photographs and memories from family archives to illustrate the quiet mountain community's growth into a historical hot spot.

Be sure to order your copy once it becomes available. You can be notified via e-mail when it becomes available.  We are planning to have an event where Heather will sign the book, so stay tuned for that.

Congratulations, Heather (BluffPark Writer)!!

Pre-order from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Bluff-Images-America-Heather-Skaggs/dp/0738590991/ref=sr_1 _1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354556347&sr=8-1&keywords=Images+of+America+Bluff+Park

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 11:40am by BluffParkWriter »  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
WJCIV
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: "Bluff Park" by Heather Skaggs
Reply #1 - 10/31/12 at 4:57pm

I used to work for the company that printed all of Arcadia Publishing's books. Small world! I look forward to checking this one out. I've lived in the area for about 2.5 years now and know very little about its history.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Re: "Bluff Park" by Heather Skaggs
Reply #2 - 11/05/12 at 3:06pm

Thank you!

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Images of America "Bluff Park" by Heather Skag
Reply #3 - 01/17/13 at 11:54am

The book will be released shortly and we've created a Event Calendar page:

http://www.bluffparkal.org/ioa_events.htm

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
PastAndPresents
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 02/17/13 at 11:19am

We LOVE the book! Ken and I look forward to spending some time with Heather on Saturday.

IP Logged
barden
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 02/21/13 at 7:11pm

Great job, Heather! We love the book; history and photos are so interesting. Bluff Park is a wonderful community. We are proud of its history and proud to live here among the fine people and natural beauty of the area.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 03/08/13 at 11:54am

Images of America: Bluff Park  has gone into re-print after selling out the first printing.  Check out the article by Jon Anderson of the Birmingham News http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/03/new_pictorial_book_on_bluff_pa.html

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
PastAndPresents
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 03/08/13 at 8:56pm

Anyone looking for a copy of the book, I have them at Past and Presents. Smiley

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - 04/13/13 at 6:37am

April 19 will have a gathering at Artists on the Bluff which will honor the founding families of Bluff Park.  Heather will also be there to sign her book, and attendees will be able to tour the facility (if you have not done so yet, you need to!).  Books will be on hand for sale, but if you already have one, bring it and Heather will autograph it for you.  Some of the people featured in the book will also be present, including "Learning To Be The Light" (http://www.learningtobethelight.org).

Here's a link to the story about the event by Jon Anderson of the Birmingham News: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/04/bluff_park_gathering_will_hono.html

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 10/28/13 at 10:46pm

Christmas is right around the corner.  Have you picked up your copy of Images of America: Bluff Park yet?  They make great gifts.  But they're even better when you give an autographed copy of the book, and here's your chance.

BluffParkAL.org's Heather will be signing copies of her book at Costco on November 16 from 11am-2pm.  For more details, check out the article by Jon Anderson:
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/10/hoover_author_heather_skaggs_t.html

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company