"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/16/24 at 8:13pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sidewalk lamps (Read 4902 times)
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

sidewalk lamps
02/12/13 at 2:26pm

My wife and I take advantage of the sidewalks around Bluff Park on a regular basis and wish more streets had them.  We often take a walk when I get home from work, and this time of year that often means part of the walk is in the dark.  I've seen many areas in Birmingham and in other cities with street lamps spaced along sidewalks which provided some muted lighting that didn't seem to spread too far off the sidewalks into peoples' yards, and thought this seemed like a good idea for our sidewalks.  Obviously there's a lot to be considered before something like this could be implemented, but I wanted to put it up here for some thoughtful discussion and see what others thought (again, I'm not talking about bright streetlights, but rather more decorative lamps that would illuminate the sidewalk for walkers/runners in the early mornings and evenings).

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: sidewalk lamps
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 3:14pm

I think that's a great idea!
While we're on the topic of sidewalks, does some sort of committee exist that determine where sidewalks are placed?  It seems there are a lot of sidewalks in Bluff Park that start in the middle of nowhere and lead for a short distance to, well, nowhere.  
I think it would be great to have a sidewalk along Shades Crest Road. It could run from where the firetower used to be and eventually extended to Columbiana Road and connect to the network of sidewalks that Vestavia has built.

Email   IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 03/27/13 at 10:08pm

I am ALL for some nice street lamps! We live on Matzek Road and there's not 1 single street light of any kind! It is pitch black! What would be the process for beginning such a campaign? With the recent uptick in crime, we have plenty of valid reasons.

IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 9:31am

I was talking with our neighbor this past weekend about lamps for the sidewalks.  We thought it's an issue to bring before City Council if we have any hope of getting it accomplished, but we don't know how formal the presentation should be...ie:  do we need to provide specifics as far as sidewalk use at different times of an average day (and how would we get those anyway?)

Anyway, I do think this is one of several "do-able" things that would propel Bluff Park in the direction I truly believe it's capable of moving in (as is the Community Garden idea  Wink )

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 7:40pm

Love it, Md!! Sounds like Bluff Park needs a true, organized Neighborhood Association to address our community issues, wants and desires. Can I get a 2nd??  Grin

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #5 - 03/29/13 at 3:51pm

@Jennmccown, Bluff Park at one time did have a neighborhood association but it fizzled out before this website was established.  

@Teeechur, Sidewalks are Hoover City. I do know that when they are looking at a prospect street they have to talk with each homeowner and from what I understand from a friend that lives on Park Ave, the property owners have to agree to it. For example the second half of Park Avenue has the sidewalks on the other side after the traffic light going past the Overseer's Home. There was an issue with the same side of the street.  

Here are a few articles for updates on Chapel Ln extension and sidewalks
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/02/hoover_city_council_shifts_137.html
2013 city budget story
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/11/hoover_city_council_passes_126.html

this is from last year but gives a good update
http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2012/04/hoover_sidewalks_closer_to_re a.html

Street Lamps: I am all for more of them also!!! I like to walk after work with my dogs and sometimes its just to dark on Park Ave.  That would be a city thing if your talking about to light the sidewalks. The other option would be if you lived on a street that was dark and there was a power pole a light could be put on them by the power company but the residents have to pay for it. For example, my parents has a lamp added to the power pole on their street and they split the cost with their neighbor who also wanted it.

*If enough community members would show up it has been possible in the past to have a neighborhood meeting with the city to talk about things we would like to see.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 03/30/13 at 7:14am

Quote from jennmccown on 03/28/13 at 7:40pm:
Love it, Md!! Sounds like Bluff Park needs a true, organized Neighborhood Association to address our community issues, wants and desires. Can I get a 2nd??  Grin

Been there. Done that.  Got the t-shirt.  Massive failure.  The Bluff Park Neighborhood Association disbanded in January 2006.  In the words of a former high ranking member, when asked why it disbanded "People got tired of monthly meetings of doing nothing but drinking tea".

And then came BluffParkAL.org.

We used the power of the internet to gather the "community issues, wants and desires" and presented them, in a non-adversarial way, to those that were able to make a difference.  

Just last night we drove past the Hoover PD sub-station in Bluff Park.  Why is it there after we were told "no" in September 2006?  Not because of an association.  But because of a civilized gathering of people and their elected leaders who found a way to discuss the issues.

Next week is the Shades Crest Baptist Church High Country 5K Run.  Four years ago they were told it could be no more, that it had to be moved to either Regions Park or Veterans Park.  We sent a couple of e-mails, made a couple of phone calls explaining why it needed to stay in Bluff Park and it was done.  Not be a neighborhood association, but residents speaking to elected leaders.  The High Country 5K will be in Bluff Park for as long as SCBC wants it here.

Neighborhood associations lead to bureaucracy and useless "rules and regulations" and the "neighborhood" loses its individuality and becomes just another clone.  

We describe Bluff Park as being one of the most unique communities in Hoover.  The term unique means "being without a like or equal".  Neighborhood associations take that away, as they want everyone to be the same.  

If you have a "community issue, want or desire", submit it to us.  We'll schedule one of our neighborhood meetings, invite all those who can make a difference, and we'll do it in a civilized way.  Over the course of the last seven years, Bluff Park has come to be known in city hall as a community that cares about it people, and the mayor and the council, as well as the Hoover city departments, will take care of our concerns as well as they can.  We usually schedule these meetings when there are a number of issues.  The entire city government is present to respond to resident's questions.

Regarding the sidewalk lamps:  the process is not formal.  You go to a city council meeting.  At the end of the meeting is a time for anyone to speak to the council and the mayor.  You state your name, address and concern.  They will listen to the concern, then delegate it to the appropriate department, who will then take ownership of the issue.  If it's doable, it gets done.  The only problem with the lamps would be a money issue, and could it be an item that needs to be added to the budget.  I can tell you that many of our council members read this forum on a regular basis and by Monday at least one of them will be aware of it.  If you'd like for us to present it to the council, please send us an e-mail to info@bluffparkal.org and we'll present it at the next council meeting, and follow up and report on its progress.  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 04/01/13 at 9:03am

We received an e-mail requesting us to bring this up to the city council.  

We will be addressing the city council on this issue on Monday, April 15, 2013 at 6pm.  Those residents that are interested in this are strongly encouraged to attend this council meeting.  If you plan on attending, please send an e-mail to info@bluffparkal.org

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 04/01/13 at 10:47pm

Excellent! I read all those posts really fast, but I get the drift! I am just wanting to see action on issues and some social organizing. I feel it is talked about a lot on the forum but that fizzles away too. Bluff Park almost as a whole,  needs street lamps, not just Park Ave. The newest sidewalk all the way down Patton to Simmons needs lamps. The  interior streets of my block need them. But we also need and I think want a "Social Committee" or a "Neighborhood Committee" that purely exists for the enrichment of Bluff Park. Not political but peaceful and progressive. I would be all for a social gathering of residents every other month...and not just over some sweet tea! No, these would be more like supper clubs, with interesting food, people and relevant topics. Things like yoga cooperative, community garden, events at Moss Rock (the new part), Santa on the Bluff, etc et. Etc!! We are a lively, creative, mix of folks! It would be a great think tank, for sure. Face to Face!  Cheesy

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 04/01/13 at 11:13pm

One more clarification, I think BP needs a " Social Committee", separate from issues like abandoned houses, over grown weeds, roaming dogs, etc. Forming this type of committee was brought up a year or 2 ago and I was asked to join, but never received an email or info. Could thus be revisited? Who here would like to see a Social Committee??   Grin

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 04/15/13 at 6:07pm

My daughter is sick and I am unable to attend he City Council mtg going on right now! I hope the street lamps are still on agenda, or if need be, can be discussed at the next meeting. A specific lighting plan needs to be determined. What streets, what types of light, etc. I hate that I can't come, but hope that thus is just an initial meeting. Please update when possible. Thank you!!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - 04/15/13 at 8:15pm

Quote from jennmccown on 04/15/13 at 6:07pm:
My daughter is sick and I am unable to attend he City Council mtg going on right now! I hope the street lamps are still on agenda, or if need be, can be discussed at the next meeting. A specific lighting plan needs to be determined. What streets, what types of light, etc. I hate that I can't come, but hope that thus is just an initial meeting. Please update when possible. Thank you!!

Sorry, you couldn't make it tonight.  

The Council meeting went well.  We were able to plant the seed regarding the need for lights on Park Avenue.

We covered the following points:

- the changing demographics in Bluff Park
- the increase in walking and jogging traffic on Park Avenue
- the lack of, and need for, lighting on Park Avenue, and subsequently elsewhere, by a large number of residents

Jack Wright, City Council President asked a couple of questions

- Had we looked into any type of grant money (A- No)
- What type of lighting were we thinking of (A- Varies, we received different opinions)

About two weeks ago we e-mailed several council members letting them know we were going to speak in front of the council regarding this topic.  We like to do that so that we get some feedback and know what to expect, including objections, if any.  

One councilor responded stating that street lighting was usually left up to a neighborhood association.  We addressed that tonight, indicating that Bluff Park was too unique and diverse (and spread out) to have a typical neighborhood association.  They agreed.

So here's the result of the Council meeting:

The Council is going to have Tim Westhoven, who is the assistant city administrator, look into grants and the viability of street lights.  This is a good first step, as Mr. Westhoven is a top notch administrator and has been a good friend to Bluff Park and BluffParkAL.org in the past.

We spoke to some residents after the meeting and bounced around some ideas.  The first is that we need to have some sort of idea as to the type of lights.  We want some input from residents, so send us pictures that we can post of some lights.  Send them to info@bluffparkal.org and put in the subject line : Street Lights .  We'll put these pictures together and then we'll create a page dedicated to the topic.  From there, we'll narrow it down and wait for Mr. Westhoven to get back to us.

We'll need someone to look into grants.  If you're interested in heading this up, let us know by sending us an e-mail stating your interest.  The sidewalks were built with grant money, so Mr. Wright felt that there may be some money out there for something like this.

More updates as they come in.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 04/17/13 at 8:55am

An update:

Our presentation on Monday did produce some results.  We just received a phone call from Tim Westhoven, Assistant Executive Director for City of Hoover, who wanted to gather some more information regarding the street lighting.  We have submitted to him the information that we have, in addition to some drawings that we received yesterday.  Mr. Westhoven will do further research into the matter to see if this is something that is viable.

We'll keep everyone up to date as we hear more.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #13 - 04/17/13 at 6:19pm

@admin: excellent posts and outstanding follow up.  
Thank you for your interest , effort , and diligence. It is appreciated.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 04/18/13 at 10:14am

Thank you for the information.

About this portion of your post, how was this stated/approached, and what was the general discussion?

"- the changing demographics in Bluff Park"

Not trying to paint the topic in any particular light, because frankly I have my own opinions of the BP neighborhood, but I'd love to know what exactly was discussed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company