"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/05/24 at 2:26am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Overgrown yards (Read 5002 times)
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Overgrown yards
04/18/13 at 10:41am

I'm really sick of people who do not take care of their yards.  A yard doesn't have to look like a putting green, but cut it every 2 weeks at a minimum, especially with all the rain we are getting.  City code says that weeds must be kept at < 12 inches.  I see many yards in Bluff Park with weeds exceeding this height.  I am taking it upon myself to start reporting this stuff, and I encourage you to do the same.  If you see any yards that have been severely neglected, please join me in filing a complaint with the city at this link (click "Weeds, debris, and overgrown lots):

http://www.hooveral.org/requesttracker.aspx

It is past time that Bluff Park has some pride and employs minimum standards that it expects from its residents, and I commend those of you who have started the ball rolling in several areas.  These awful looking yards and homes are doing nothing but decreasing our home values and the lowering the public's impression of Bluff Park.

Thanks for allowing me to rant.  Let's start turning things around in Bluff Park.

« Last Edit: 04/18/13 at 11:06am by ht2 »  
  IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Overgrown yards
Reply #1 - 04/24/13 at 7:32pm

YES!  Thank you for your post.  Bluff Park is a beautiful place.  It has so much going for it I can't understand why people aren't rushing in to live here.
Certainly it is an eclectic place.  Still, letting your house and yard go to hell affects us all.  Most of my neighbors take pride in their community but there are some that leave their houses unpainted and grass and weeds grow so high that they clean up only when forced to by the city.
There is a house on Shades Crest Road that has been abandoned for years.  It is an eyesore and a blight on the neighborhood.  I am told that all the copper has been stripped and the house poses a real danger to the community through the structure no longer being safe and the possibility of vagrants occupying the house.  The owner lives in this community but since he doesn't live close obviously doesn't care.
On the other hand I have seen neighbors picking up garbage as they walk down the street.
Bluff Park could be the crown jewel of Hoover.  I guess it comes down to people having pride in their community.

Email   IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 04/26/13 at 10:37pm

Let's all do it.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease...lets get squeaky!

IP Logged
Steemman
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/09/13 at 7:53pm

I just went to the Hoover web site and reported the house at 2230 Chapel road.  The house has been vacated for quite some time and the yard is out of control and looks like trash.  (Putting it nicely).  It will be interesting to see what happens next.  Has anyone had any experience with the web site?  If so, what were your results?

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #4 - 06/10/13 at 10:16am

I can say that I have had good luck with reporting stuff on the city website but it is better to have several reports on the same subject. What is the street number of the house on Shades Crest Road?

Email WWW   IP Logged
barden
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 06/10/13 at 7:42pm

897, but some wonderful neighbor complained repeatedly & as of May 31, a condemnation notice was posted on the door! Thank you, nice neighbor!!!!    

IP Logged
Steemman
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 06/10/13 at 8:45pm

Here is an update on the Chapel Road house.  I received and email from the city today and they have scheduled an inspector to take a look on Tuesday.  I am very impressed with how quickly they responded!  I have emailed the city back because someone cut the grass today.  I wish they would have also picked up the dozen or so newspapers out of the driveway, but I'll get them in the morning.  I do hope more people will use the Hoover web site so we can get any neglected yards taken care of!

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 06/12/13 at 10:45am

Quote from Steemman on 06/10/13 at 8:45pm:
Here is an update on the Chapel Road house.  I received and email from the city today and they have scheduled an inspector to take a look on Tuesday.  I am very impressed with how quickly they responded!  I have emailed the city back because someone cut the grass today.  I wish they would have also picked up the dozen or so newspapers out of the driveway, but I'll get them in the morning.  I do hope more people will use the Hoover web site so we can get any neglected yards taken care of!

Thank you for taking the time to do this, and I hope others will follow your lead.  For those not familiar with the process, it can take a while to actually get the result you want (getting the grass cut).  From what I know, the City notifies the owner in writing.  If they receive no response, a second notice is sent.  If no resolution, the property can be condemned, which is like another 30-45 days.  At that point the City will step in and cut the grass.

IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 07/09/13 at 11:41am

Our grass grows so fast and it rains so often my husband seems like he's cutting it at least every 5 days or so.  

Here is another big reason to cut your grass where you live. Copperheads. I almost stepped on one this past weekend. Coiled up in the mowed grass right behind my daughter's swing set.  

Screamed SNAKE, got husband, it died. We have a ditch/creek running through our backyard so that is part of the reason. Still they love piles of wood,  overgrown areas, rocks......I'm sure we all have plenty of rocks in our yard. Smiley  

WWW   IP Logged
roxy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 07/12/13 at 11:03am

whats up with the house at Star Lake?? It has been striped and left that way for years ! Angry

roxy roxy   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 06/25/14 at 10:54am

Bump.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company