"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/04/24 at 9:55pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about where waterway originates (Read 2010 times)
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Question about where waterway originates
07/03/14 at 9:37am

Hi,
We have what we call the creek in our backyard (probably not the right definition according to this site http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/NatureDefinitions.html ).  

I live on bluff Road and this waterway flows through the garden area of BP Elementary and back behind the houses on Bluff Rd. I think it also goes under Clearview and keeps on flowing. It drys when it hasn't rained in a while (like now). It appears to be natural.

Does anyone know where the head of this waterway originates? I tried investigating it, but don't know enough about geology to get anywhere. I'm just curious bc we have watercress growing in it. I know someone who has eaten it with no issues, but I am not sure if I want to or not until I know the source of the water.

Thanks,
Abbey111

WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Question about where waterway originates
Reply #1 - 07/08/14 at 10:09am

Quote from Abbey111 on 07/03/14 at 9:37am:
Hi,
We have what we call the creek in our backyard (probably not the right definition according to this site http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/NatureDefinitions.html ).

I live on bluff Road and this waterway flows through the garden area of BP Elementary and back behind the houses on Bluff Rd. I think it also goes under Clearview and keeps on flowing. It drys when it hasn't rained in a while (like now). It appears to be natural.

Does anyone know where the head of this waterway originates? I tried investigating it, but don't know enough about geology to get anywhere. I'm just curious bc we have watercress growing in it. I know someone who has eaten it with no issues, but I am not sure if I want to or not until I know the source of the water.

Thanks,
Abbey111

We have the same thing going through our backyard.  It was actually one of the reasons that we bought the house.  A nice, bubbling creek with pristine, clear water that flowed constantly.  The previous owner had built three bridges in the backyard to cross over the creek (it splits our yard about 25/75). Towards the end of our property this water had formed a pond about 3-4 feet deep.  Cattails grew here and we'd seen at least one spapping turtle since we'd been there.  A real nature wonderland.  Even in 2007, during the drought, the creek never stopped.

According to my brother-in-law, who grew up in Bluff Park and who had a friend who lived in our house when he was a teen, that creek was there almost 30 years ago.

My thoughts of the creek's origin was that it was from a natural spring (I'm not a geologist, however, it sounded like it would make sense).  I never did walk up the property and into the neighbor's property to see where it originated.

Then about 3 years ago the creek suddenly dried up.  The water just stopped.  I found this to be odd, almost disturbing, so I took a walk up the creek, through the neighbors' yards, onto another street, right where the "creek" originated.  I found two Birmingham Water Board barricades and what appeared to be fresh asphalt.

The "creek" was actually a storm drain.  The "pristine water" was actually water from a water main that had broken many years ago and Birmingham Water had just discovered it and sealed it.

If you've never had cattails in your backyard, they are OK when there's water, but not so much when there's no water.  They dry up and begin to smell.  Birmingham Water Board was nice enough to come out and clear the "creek" and "pond" of all decaying water flora.  

So, to summarize, Abbey, I don't know if your creek is a real creek or a broken water main that has gone unnoticed for nearly 30 years.  If it is a broken water main, just be happy they don't send you a bill with it.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 07/08/14 at 2:26pm

Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 07/08/14 at 10:09am:
Quote from Abbey111 on 07/03/14 at 9:37am:
Hi,

Thanks,
Abbey111

We have the same thing going through our backyard.  It was actually one of the reasons that we bought the house.  A nice, bubbling creek with pristine, clear water that flowed constantly.  The previous owner had built three bridges in the backyard to cross over the creek (it splits our yard about 25/75). Towards the end of our property this water had formed a pond about 3-4 feet deep.  Cattails grew here and we'd seen at least one spapping turtle since we'd been there.  A real nature wonderland.  Even in 2007, during the drought, the creek never stopped.

According to my brother-in-law, who grew up in Bluff Park and who had a friend who lived in our house when he was a teen, that creek was there almost 30 years ago.

My thoughts of the creek's origin was that it was from a natural spring (I'm not a geologist, however, it sounded like it would make sense).  I never did walk up the property and into the neighbor's property to see where it originated.

Then about 3 years ago the creek suddenly dried up.  The water just stopped.  I found this to be odd, almost disturbing, so I took a walk up the creek, through the neighbors' yards, onto another street, right where the "creek" originated.  I found two Birmingham Water Board barricades and what appeared to be fresh asphalt.

The "creek" was actually a storm drain.  The "pristine water" was actually water from a water main that had broken many years ago and Birmingham Water had just discovered it and sealed it.

If you've never had cattails in your backyard, they are OK when there's water, but not so much when there's no water.  They dry up and begin to smell.  Birmingham Water Board was nice enough to come out and clear the "creek" and "pond" of all decaying water flora.

So, to summarize, Abbey, I don't know if your creek is a real creek or a broken water main that has gone unnoticed for nearly 30 years.  If it is a broken water main, just be happy they don't send you a bill with it.

Haha, that is a pretty crazy story!  Sorry your "creek" went away though!

IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 08/12/14 at 8:41am

Wow! THANK YOU for the information. I have noticed it dries up more quickly these days. When it does rain, though, it reminds me of the Ocoee River it's so fast flowing. I have noticed that some people have a natural area like us, but other people on the same street with the same "creek" have what looks like a manmade channel in their yard. It puzzles me that there would even be tunnels for the water to flow under Clearview if it was just a mistake (broken watermain). Maybe they build storm runoff channels under watermains for that reason. Ha.

Well, thank you, again, for the satisfying my curiosity.  

Abbey

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company