"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 3:06pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outsider's View of Bluff Park Now (Read 2720 times)
formerbpresident
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Outsider's View of Bluff Park Now
09/09/07 at 11:40am

I was a long-time resident of Bluff Park and always loved living there.  I moved away a few years ago and recently decided that I would once again like to call Bluff Park home.  I searched the MLS for houses for sale, drove to Hoover and looked around the area on my own without a realtor.  I was appalled at how many areas of Bluff Park have been allowed to get so run down looking.  There were houses with overgrown weeds, shutters hanging off the outside, derelict cars parked in driveways and other totally undesirable things.  The house at the corner of Sanders Rd. and Savoy St. that had an indoor pool looked terrible.  The carport was cluttered with junk as well as an old car that was sitting on concrete blocks.  I still love Bluff Park with it's convenient location and wonderful people; but I am no longer sure that it is an area I wish to live in again.  This is how slums start; and I am sure many years ago, North Birmingham, West End, Ensley and some of the other areas that are now very run down were very nice, comfortable, safe and livable neighborhoods.  I am afraid Bluff Park is headed in that same direction unless action is taken to prevent it.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Outsider's View of Bluff Park Now
Reply #1 - 09/09/07 at 12:23pm

Quote from formerbpresident on 09/09/07 at 11:40am:
I was a long-time resident of Bluff Park and always loved living there.  I moved away a few years ago and recently decided that I would once again like to call Bluff Park home.  I searched the MLS for houses for sale, drove to Hoover and looked around the area on my own without a realtor.  I was appalled at how many areas of Bluff Park have been allowed to get so run down looking.  There were houses with overgrown weeds, shutters hanging off the outside, derelict cars parked in driveways and other totally undesirable things.  The house at the corner of Sanders Rd. and Savoy St. that had an indoor pool looked terrible.  The carport was cluttered with junk as well as an old car that was sitting on concrete blocks.  I still love Bluff Park with it's convenient location and wonderful people; but I am no longer sure that it is an area I wish to live in again.  This is how slums start; and I am sure many years ago, North Birmingham, West End, Ensley and some of the other areas that are now very run down were very nice, comfortable, safe and livable neighborhoods.  I am afraid Bluff Park is headed in that same direction unless action is taken to prevent it.

Did you happen to see the houses across the street from the one you are referring to on Savoy?  Nice, eh.  Far from a slum.  Although you are correct in stating that some homes could use a makeover, you are generalizing an entire community by pointing out a handful of homes.  That's like saying that all white people are criminals because three white people were arrested on Saturday at the Galleria.  Or that all black people are drunks because one bought a twelve pack of beer at Brunos.  

Perhaps, though, if you are interested in a regimented neighborhood, might I suggest Greystone.  I"m sure there's no cars up on blocks there, or shutters hanging.  They even have a guard at the gate so that none of these "slummy people" of Bluff Park can drive in to look around.  Wouldn't want that...

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 09/09/07 at 2:00pm

Smiley
Amen, bpresident.  And I certainly don't want to live in a gated 'community'.  I don't want to live in a place where a committee tells me what kind of mailbox to have, or what Christmas arrangement to put on it and where it can be bought, which is common practice in many subdivisions these days.  We are a caring concerned community with a population that is becoming more diverse, a blessing as far as I'm concerned, and things such as this site and community concern and activism will not allow this place to become a 'slum'.  This is an old historic neighborhood, even with all the new development, so there will be issues with older properties, and lack of maintenance, but isn't that what we're doing here?  I am very proud of my years in Bluff Park, and intend to live in my older but well-maintained home the rest of my life.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/09/07 at 2:47pm

Cant agree more with BPresident and Straycatmom,

I bought my home in 2002 and my property value has really gone up.
There are also some very nice large homes being built on Valley Street (near Bluff Park U.M. C.) and a new town home subdivision called Tyler Crest right as you get off at Alford Avenue (near the gas station) I have also seen many homes being gutted and remodeled "flipped" and second stories added.

The flipping and renovating is a big thing right now it was happening a lot in Homewood and started being seen in Bluff Park as early as in 2000.. I study homes and home sales a lot in our area. What happens a lot of times in the area is that the older homes are bought by a builder or someone flipping homes and they update them with new paint, floors, bathrooms, and kitchen. THey also do a lot of landscaping. I have been watching a home down near St. Albins Church and whomever is doing it really knows what they are doing. Its a brown split level and its looks like new. It is sold but what they are doing is really nice.

A good place to check for homes in the area is www.forsale-byowner.com
So yes there are some homes that are looking bad but there are also some people out there that are investing in there home and making updates.  

So there is a lot going on that adds to our property value... you just got to look

IP Logged
formerbpresident
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 09/09/07 at 3:18pm

It is obvious that I offended some of you with my comments which I absolutely did not intend to do, and I apologize for that.  I, too, love Bluff Park and would love to be back there.  I do not wish to live in a gated community either as they dictate too much as to what you can or cannot do.  Also, I am not snobby enough to live in Greystone.  As to the very large property across from the house on Savoy, it is beautiful and has been for many, many years.  There are a lot of people in Bluff Park who maintain their property beautifully, and I was only commenting on some of the things I saw as I drove through many of the small neighborhood streets and was very sad to see the decline that has happened in some places in the short time I have been gone.  This website is very informative about the area, and it is obvious that many of you are taking a proactive approach to preserve Bluff Park.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 09/09/07 at 3:57pm

Smiley
Offended, no.  Irritated, somewhat.  A response I really wanted to give, yes.  And thank you for your response...

IP Logged
OleBloo

Reply #6 - 09/09/07 at 4:09pm

Wow I'm glad I didn't say anything when I did.. lol that would've been ugly

*~OleBloo~*
Email   IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/09/07 at 4:10pm

I was not offended at all, you brought up some true facts about some property that is not up to par.
I was just letting you know about some good homes in the area. Cant say I would want to live in a gated community myself or somewhere that you have to join a neighborhood association.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company