"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/02/24 at 4:54am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Introductions (Read 8664 times)
galaxiegrace

40 Years in BP &
Counting...

Introductions
06/17/08 at 1:45pm

The only other message boards I'm a member of are Hotrod and Custom car boards, and they require an intro, so I'll do one here too, just in case its needed...

My name is Grace and I moved to Bluff Park from Fairfield in 1968 at the ripe old age of 3.  My father hand build our home and my parents still reside there.  I bought a house of my own in Bluff Park On Halloween of 1997.  There's nothing scarier than your first mortgage!

Generally speaking, I'm a "hate change" kind of person, and therefore, get annoyed every day at such things as:
1.  Gigantic homes built on the cliffs I used to rapel from in high school
2.  Cute little Mid Century homes being Frankensteined by home flippers, just to turn a buck.
3.  All the dang traffic on Shades Crest Rd and Park Avenue these days.
4.  Bert's on the Bluff being gone.  The new place is not in the same league.
5.  I much preferred Western to the Pig.

My roots have stayed deep in Bluff Park, but I've resided in other places in my life as well, such as Mobile, Pensacola, Biloxi, Yuma, Arizona, Lake Hughes, California and Las Vegas.  They all just make me love Bluff Park more.

I am very worried that Bluff Park is teetering on that proverbial edge, where it could go either way... to an adorable cute little villagey neighborhood, or a slum full of ne'er do wells and losers.  I fear the latter has already started.

If I had Bill Gates' money I'd buy up those nasty apartments near the Pig and 'doze them and let it return to the wild.  I remember when they were built how my parents b*tched about them.  Now I understand why.

I guess that's about it.  My only other annoyance:  Why does the Traffic-chick at Bluff Park Elementary School always stop me on the way to work?  I think she looks for my car on purpose!  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Introductions
Reply #1 - 06/17/08 at 1:56pm

Welcome to the forum, Gracie.  We're glad to have you.

One of the reasons for BluffParkAl.org and this forum is to make sure that Bluff Park remains as your parents found it when they moved here.  I speak for myself in saying that I don't mind progress as long as they basic fundamentals of the community are not disturbed.

Again, glad to have you and thanks for contributing.

IP Logged
dw14
YaBB Newbies

I live in Shades
Mountain!

Reply #2 - 06/17/08 at 3:25pm

I'd like to know what you all consider to be "Bluff Par"  Where do you stop going towards 65?

Email   IP Logged
Mrs. B

Reply #3 - 06/17/08 at 4:06pm

Gracie writes:
I am very worried that Bluff Park is teetering on that proverbial edge, where it could go either way... to an adorable cute little villagey neighborhood, or a slum full of ne'er do wells and losers.  I fear the latter has already started.

Hopefully you do not mean all the well meaning people who populate this board, who are only interested in having a wonderful Bluff Park.  

Frankly I have seen nothing to illicit such a statement as you wrote - if you are living on a street with ne're do wells and loser, then I feel sorry for you....my neighbors are wonderful - and if you think you can life anywhere in America where there are no robberies, no yards that need cutting, no houses that need repair - maybe you can let us all know.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I took your statement personally as I CHOSE Bluff Park when I moved here from out of state last year because it was a neighborhood.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 06/17/08 at 4:06pm

"I am very worried that Bluff Park is teetering on that proverbial edge, where it could go either way... to an adorable cute little villagey neighborhood, or a slum full of ne'er do wells and losers.  I fear the latter has already started."

I don't have any tangible evidence to back it up, but I get the same feeling.  I have seen a lot of really scummy people in and around BP the past few months, folks hot rodding down Alford (dang that makes me sound old), and the robberies I've been reading about are concerning.  

My *hope* is that this element is confined to the apartments you referenced.  I think our only hope there is that someone buys the property, raises the rents, and runs out the muck, but who knows if that will happen.

Also starting to see more homes for rent, which is not usually a good sign.

I've been there for 6 years and love BP to death, but I haven't seen the positive tranformation I expected.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 06/17/08 at 4:09pm

Quote from Mrs. B on 06/17/08 at 4:06pm:
Gracie writes:

Hopefully you do not mean all the well meaning people who populate this board, who are only interested in having a wonderful Bluff Park.  

Frankly I have seen nothing to illicit such a statement as you wrote - if you are living on a street with ne're do wells and loser, then I feel sorry for you....my neighbors are wonderful - and if you think you can life anywhere in America where there are no robberies, no yards that need cutting, no houses that need repair - maybe you can let us all know.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I took your statement personally as I CHOSE Bluff Park when I moved here from out of state last year because it was a neighborhood.

I don't mean this to sound rude, but have you really lived in BP long enough to spot a downward trend as compared to the vantage point/opinion of someone who has lived here practically all of their life (not me, the other person)?  

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/17/08 at 4:23pm

Hi there Grace,
you know this is a good idea, maybe we can start a different section or just add to this one to introduce ourselves.

So have you recently moved back to Bluff Park or been here from 97'or just new to the website?

I think you are going to be fun with the forum, I like spunky people who voice their opinions, but in a nice way!

Change is difficult sometimes but is necessary in some cases. Like the homes you were talking about being flipped, I see that that is a good thing because if houses just sit and dont sell or fall apart you get Birmingham!

It also helps the property values!  
I am with ya on the traffic on Park Ave! good lord!

Cant say I agree on the Berts, I ate at both, THe Bluff Park Dinner seems "cleaner" and more up to date. The owner is very nice and loves the community as well.

Could you clarify a few things?
I am not sure I understand this statement....or where you are coming from to think it.
"I am very worried that Bluff Park is teetering on that proverbial edge, where it could go either way... to an adorable cute little villagey neighborhood, or a slum full of ne'er do wells and losers.  I fear the latter has already started."

not sure I would say its going to slums and ne'er do wells with the cost of homes and the renovation in the area. Not to mention new homes being built and new businesses that are coming in the area.

DW14,
you asked what is considered BP.
Bluff Park is kind of between Shades Mtn and Greenvalley, it gets a little twisty.
BPresident can give more specifics but I know in general (and correct me if I am wrong)
I have lived all my life in Bluff Park, Greenvalley or Shades Mtn. so I am very familiar with all the areas.
Pre-this website you were Bluff Park only if you were zoned Bluff Park Ele.  
After the collapse of the original "neighborhood Association" which was where that rule was, there was the formation of the Bluffparkal.org community. We consider...

lets start on alford ave, The end of Alford is Shades Mtn community and all the streets running off of alford. Some of Alford is BP most the other end alford/fancher drive.

Chapel Road till you get to Simmons (some of the off roads on the left if you are going towards simmons from BP are Greenvalley)

Shades Crest till you get to the Preserve (I think after that they consider themselves Trace Crossings)
Tylor Road till you get to SMI (Shades Mtn Independent)  

There are a lot of subdivisions with in BP as well, martinwood, Crestwood, the new one, Chapel Creek etc.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 06/17/08 at 4:24pm

I hope the increase in homes for rent is just a by product of the slow housing market. I know the white house across the street from the elementary school is now for rent because someone just decided to buy it and rent it out as an investment property, which is a shame. That would have been a great house to buy and renovate/add on too. I left the person who bought it a message stating that fact. I guess the only thing that bothers me is the people who have these great little houses with large lots that decide to sell them and move to new neighborhoods (preserve, ross bridge, etc.) instead of just adding on to their current house. All these new planned community neighborhoods have postage stamp size yards. I always thought it would be nice if the area could do what downtown Homewood did. It would be even nicer than Homewood because of the larger lots.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/17/08 at 5:03pm

As one who has been here all my life and also one who has been with the website I have to say that this is the only place I want to live. I think people also have to remember that it does not matter where you live you are going to have some issues. We have the ear of the City Council and the Mayors office. Here is a statistic that I did not know till recently, this area (including Shades mtn and Greenvalley) have a very high voter turn out ratio.. than anywhere else in Hoover....that speaks, but you also have to look at the the age groups we have and that we are a smaller community so our numbers are going to look better than others.

This is a very tight community and we do not have not taken anything sitting down. The community does not put up with crap and trash coming into this community making trouble.. the apartments have at one time or another been a problem, I remember a statement that Officer Foreman told us at a mtg that you would be surprised at the low number of incidents from the apartments, that that is not where the problems come from.

Remember the reason this website come to be, because of an isolated incidents in shades mtn plaza... it was cleaned up and taken care of.. they were not from Bluff Park, they were from Bessemer and came up shades crest. The word got out that this was a dark unpopulated shopping center and it was a target.... we remedied that. The site now has a really developed into a cyber neighborhood and community reaching out to other things and community events.. we have moved past the robberies but there is still work to be done.

The best way to keep thugs out of the community is to not let up, report everything you even think is suspicious.. Officer Foreman even said to do so.

I will have you an example, a month or so ago my husband and I were walking with our dog at about midnight/1am (this is normal hours for us) we saw a white truck just sitting in front of a house we passed it on our lap and when we came back around it had moved to in front of another house. My husband went up to the truck to see what they were doing. It was a group of 3 well dressed/ late high school/ early college age white guys. He asked them what they were doing and why they had moved their truck, they said they were weighting on a friend and had texted them direction to mtg them. We told them they had 10min to get out of the neighborhood or we were calling the police and giving them the tag number. the driver got all scared about the tag statement and they were gone the next time we got around the block. Out of just a thought my husband drove down to a church parking lot that is near our house and guess what they were there. He called to police and hid the car further down the road. The police called and spoke to us, said the guys were meeting some girls who were sneaking out, no drugs in the car or anything like that. The officer said, which I thought was funny, that they were trying to be all stealthy and cool! He said that reporting like this is what gets the word out that "there are eyes in the neighborhood" and people do not hesitate to call the police. Now this was minor but even something like this has to be reported.    

So I guess what I am saying is that you have to stay on top of things and also dont complain and not do anything.

about the renting houses, like Bluff Park Guy said it may be the economy. It may be something to ask a realtor. I also know there are a lot of home for rest in other areas as well so I dont think it is just a BP thing. I went with a friend who was looking to rent in Vestavia and there were plenty there also.

IP Logged
Mrs. B

Reply #9 - 06/17/08 at 10:49pm

To ht2 - I chose Bluff Park because I have family here and have been visiting the area for18 years - at least 5 or 6 times a year - and chose where to live VERY carefully.

I live on a quiet street with well kept yards and only one rent house - all Auburn graduate students....I can think of no better place to be.  

Bluff Park is a REAL neighborhood - people talk to one another - people look out for one another.  

I find it rather disingenuous to read grumping about BP maybe being  on the skids - nothing could be further from the truth.  People who feel that way maybe ought to relocate to somewhere " safer, less low rent".

Now, I think we ought to give this topic a rest - or move it to another area.....

IP Logged
RockviewResident

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 06/18/08 at 10:12am

While my wife and I have only lived in BP for 2 years now, there are a couple of thing that definitely frustrate me.  There are quite a few houses that really just look like crap that the owners don't seem to mind.  Also, people parking cars in their own front yards and yards that have weeds up to your knees makes the neighborhood look bad as well.  I hate to say it, but you don't see this same sort of thing in surrounding neighborhoods such as Vestavia.

War Eagle!
  IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/18/08 at 10:37am

Quote from RockviewResident on 06/18/08 at 10:12am:
While my wife and I have only lived in BP for 2 years now, there are a couple of thing that definitely frustrate me.  There are quite a few houses that really just look like crap that the owners don't seem to mind.  Also, people parking cars in their own front yards and yards that have weeds up to your knees makes the neighborhood look bad as well.  I hate to say it, but you don't see this same sort of thing in surrounding neighborhoods such as Vestavia.

I agree that there are some houses in need of work, yard maintenance etc.  One solution would be a neighborhood association, but i think most will agree that we don't want that. No one wants to be told how their house be look and be maintained, including those of us who wo try to keep our houses in good shape.  Perhaps the best way to encourage other home owners to take more interest in the appearance of their house is to lead by example and maybe offer to help out your neighbors who are in need of yard work or simple maintenance.

Another thought...maybe the BP website could sponsor a "yard of the week/month" section on the website to feature great houses and to encourage others to clean up their yards.  Or perharps each spring and fall we could organize a neighborhood clean up day, maybe get the kids from BP elementary involved as a kind of community service project.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 06/18/08 at 12:10pm

Quote from PharmD on 06/18/08 at 10:37am:
Quote from RockviewResident on 06/18/08 at 10:12am:

I agree that there are some houses in need of work, yard maintenance etc.  One solution would be a neighborhood association, but i think most will agree that we don't want that. No one wants to be told how their house be look and be maintained, including those of us who wo try to keep our houses in good shape.  Perhaps the best way to encourage other home owners to take more interest in the appearance of their house is to lead by example and maybe offer to help out your neighbors who are in need of yard work or simple maintenance.

Another thought...maybe the BP website could sponsor a "yard of the week/month" section on the website to feature great houses and to encourage others to clean up their yards.  Or perharps each spring and fall we could organize a neighborhood clean up day, maybe get the kids from BP elementary involved as a kind of community service project.

Getting a "Yard of the Month" section on the site would be no problem.  Let's hear some suggestions as to what the rules are, who the judges would be, etc.  

We could also have all of the winners posted on a "Hall of Fame" page on the site.    

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
galaxiegrace

40 Years in BP &
Counting...

Reply #13 - 06/18/08 at 1:02pm

"Tettering on the Edge" means just that... it could go either way.  Every neighborhood goes through this stage... where the old original folks die off (terrible to say but you know what I mean) and new folks move in.  I worry all the time about it, because on my street there last month there were 6 houses for sale!  The houses on my street are on the low side, so I worry about who might move in.  I love my street, we all look after each other, and our animals/kids/houses etc... but 6 houses at one time makes me worried.  I sure haven't seen home prices in Bluff Park rise like Old Homewood did in years past, which was what I was hoping for.

Still, don't get me wrong... I love it.  If I didn't live in BP the only other place I'd live would be Mountain Brook (if I won the lottery).

To you who asked about where I've lived... I've always called Bluff Park home but I've moved around a lot in my younger days.  I lived in and around Mobile while I was in college down there.  I lived in Arizona while doing archaeology for the Bureau of Land Management when I first left college.  I lived in Vegas for 3 years after 9/11 because I couldn't find a decent job here and there were tons of jobs there (plus I've always been fascinated with Vegas). I moved back from Vegas 2 years ago and I suppose I won't be moving around any more because my parent are now elderly and I try to stick around to help them.

And as to a neighborhood association, I am firmly against them... I will never ever vote for one.  I will not have someone tell me what color I can paint my front door, or what type of shutter I can put on my house.  I bought my house and I will decide.  The city has laws for the other stuff... trashiness and such.

Speaking of trashiness and such, over near my parents' house there is a burned out home that STILL no one has done anything to fix.  Its across the street from Mr. Smith's land.  Aren't there laws against that?  Do I need to call and get that house put on Larry Langford's Bulldoze List?

G

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/18/08 at 1:10pm

Quote from galaxiegrace on 06/18/08 at 1:02pm:
"Speaking of trashiness and such, over near my parents' house there is a burned out home that STILL no one has done anything to fix.  Its across the street from Mr. Smith's land.  Aren't there laws against that?  Do I need to call and get that house put on Larry Langford's Bulldoze List?

G

I too live near that house, it burned right after we moved in....2 &1/2 years ago!!!  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company