"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/16/24 at 7:46pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Interested in starting a Community Garden? (Read 15580 times)
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Interested in starting a Community Garden?
03/16/11 at 2:06pm

Hi - I am looking into starting a Community Garden and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested.  It would be modeled on the community and neighborhood vegetable/flower gardens that have popped up all across the country; a planning committee would be formed; a site would be chosen; small membership dues would be charged to cover common garden area maintenance, tools, plants, soil, etc.  Plots would be available upon payment of the membership dues in which to tend your vegetables, herbs and flowers - all the fresh yumminess grown in your plot would go to your table!! I believe this could be a great neighborhood project and would love to get it started - the growing season is just around the corner!! If you are interested - please check out www.communitygarden.org where you can read all about this exciting, community endeavor that would foster a positive neighborhood spirit, while saving you money on groceries!! I think its a great idea and I know Bluff Park has many excellent gardeners!!  This would also be wonderful for kids!!  I would love to be overwhelmed with positive responses and maybe we could get this project IN the ground ASAP!!  Hope to hear from you!

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Re: Interested in starting a Community Garden?
Reply #1 - 03/16/11 at 4:30pm

Totally behind this, but is there any available land in BP to start this?   Also, I've read that the best model is to have a group that tends the garden and gets their stuff for free and then the rest of the group would buy their food.

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 03/16/11 at 6:35pm

I believe that the land could be found.  I have a spot in mind, but need to speak with the owner.  As for the model you suggested, I don't believe people have enough time to tend the entire garden and I believe that the people that own their own plots would take care of it very well, since its their own.  I have been to the community garden on Cotton Avenue and it is very inspiring - the plots feed a family of 4 for a $35 fee per season.  They do have a "master gardener" who is there for help, advice, etc - but the neighborhood works their plots together. It is wonderful.

IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 03/17/11 at 2:59pm

What would stop just anyone from going there and taking stuff from the garden, even if they weren't members?

stangviperred   IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 03/17/11 at 5:45pm

great question! of course, I would rather see veggies being stolen than cars and homes being burglarized, I don't think veggies have all that much street value! Smiley  Projects like these survive and even thrive in high crime areas...I bet a case could be made for the value that positive community projects bring to a neighborhood. Bringing people together instead of everyone only doing for themselves...This being said....a good fence and nosy neighbors along with a lot of gardening would most likely deter most criminal mischief. One can only hope! South Avondale is having their community garden kickoff this wknd and Jones Valley Urban Farms...smack dab in the middle of downtown has thrived for many years now. I think Bluff Park can handle it.

IP Logged
barden
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 8:08pm

I think the garden is a great idea & look forward to more input.  Our "rock" soil will not grow decent vegetables & this would allow us fresh vegetables & be a good community project.  

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #6 - 03/17/11 at 10:37pm

Cheesy

THANKS, Barden!! I hope there are many others in Bluff Park that feel the same!

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #7 - 03/18/11 at 11:41am

Where is the spot?

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 03/18/11 at 12:23pm

I need to speak with the landowner first and see if she is willing.  But I will say it is a very centrally located plot of land.  I am not sure how she would feel about this, but it is my first choice.  There are others - that may require extensive clearing and I would like to avoid that! I will speak with her this weekend and hopefully have an update soon!

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #9 - 03/19/11 at 9:48am

Take the ball and run with it.  I think this is a great idea.

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 03/19/11 at 1:40pm

Thanks Ht2! It's going to take more than just me though!  But I will get the ball rolling!!

IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #11 - 03/21/11 at 8:29pm

We would be interested!  Great idea!

IP Logged
BluffParkGirl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 03/22/11 at 7:52am

Great Idea!!!!
I feel this will be hugely successful.

IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #13 - 03/22/11 at 10:22am

Quote from BluffParkGirl on 03/22/11 at 7:52am:
Great Idea!!!!
I feel this will be hugely successful.  

Jenn, if you could also somehow get us a nice Mexican restaurant built as an outparcel in the old Delchamps parking lot, that would be awesome too.  Get on it!

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 03/22/11 at 12:00pm

Now, I am not a real estate developer - but my Dad is....so I will pitch that idea to him.  I would rather see one in the Piggly Wiggly shopping center....that big brown building at the back near Carto Craft maps - I have no idea what goes on there, but it could have the look of a cool restaurant.  

As for the Community Garden - we may need to take the Spring to plan/design and get beds ready and then go for our first crops in Summer.  It just will take time and I got a late start.  Should we have a meeting of all interested and form a committee? I would be happy to host the meeting.  Those who are interested in being on the Planning Committee, just send my a PM and we can discuss.  

I am so happy to see such enthusiastic community involvement!! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company