"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/17/24 at 9:17am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Interested in starting a Community Garden? (Read 15582 times)
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Re: Interested in starting a Community Garden?
Reply #15 - 03/22/11 at 1:05pm

The brown building in the Piggly wiggly center is where the Marry Maids place is.
When we get to a point of having a meeting Jenn when we can have it at the Community School or at the Community Center by the pool. Bluffparkal.org has used both as meeting places.

Email WWW   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 03/22/11 at 1:27pm

Jenn -

Were you able to speak to the owner of the land you have in mind this past weekend?

Yeah, the Piggly Wiggly center will be fine for a Mexican restaurant...tell your dad to just make sure it's a nice one and not a half-crapped one like Cancun's (food was great, I will say), now called Gringo's, out on Lakeshore.  Smiley

A good Mexican restaurant would kill it over there.

Back to the original topic, how big of a plot of land do you typically need for one of these gardens?

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #17 - 03/22/11 at 2:11pm

Sounds Great BP Writer - would love to meet using either of those places.  

BluffParkGirl - funny!  I sure wish the one on 31 hadn't crapped out after they did all the renovations and everything - can't remember what it was called now.....now it's like a broken down car lot or something.  

As for the size of land - it really depends on how many members we have.  I did not catch up with my neighbor yet, but I will see if they are home later today. I have printed out a lot of material to show them - I do know that they are very attached to this property and may not be interested, but I have a positive attitude and it's worth a shot! If not, we may all have to get together and discuss a scouting mission at our first planning meeting!  I am also going to visit all of the existing and newly formed community gardens in Birmingham this weekend.  There are 15 - 20 of them!  Hope I can make it to all!!!

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 03/22/11 at 2:12pm

Woops - I mean Ht2! Sorry!

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 03/31/11 at 10:40am

Just as an update to those interested in getting this project off the ground, I visited several community gardens in the Bham area last weekend and in particular, spoke with Gus Heard who headed up the new Irondale Community Garden.  Got some good info - most of the gardens are on City owned property and the City assists with water hookups and just lets the communities use the property.  Not sure if that will be the method for Bluff Park's Community Garden.  I spoke with Gene Smith and he thinks approaching some private land owners would be the best way to start.  A friend had a very good idea and I wanted to see what y'all thought of it. The PW shopping center used to have a gardening center - it didn't do well and went out of business. The land is just sitting there - do you think that shopping center owner would let us use the land for our garden? I don't know who owns that side of the center, and I am sure they would want money for the use of the property and then if a Tenant was ever interested (like that would happen), we would have to relocate.  Just a thought - it sure gets loads of sun and is very centrally located. Worth a shot at speaking with the Owners, I think.  I also still have not been able to catch my neighbors!  I will keep trying.  Maybe we should have a meeting with everyone who is seriously interested in starting this project and put our brains together and find the property.  Once we have secured a spot, it's pretty easy! So let me know your thought on proceeding! Thanks!!! Jenn

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #20 - 03/31/11 at 1:39pm

We know the owner of that side of the shopping center. I will get you his contact info.

Email WWW   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 03/31/11 at 11:03pm

Quote from jennmccown on 03/31/11 at 10:40am:
Just as an update to those interested in getting this project off the ground, I visited several community gardens in the Bham area last weekend and in particular, spoke with Gus Heard who headed up the new Irondale Community Garden.  Got some good info - most of the gardens are on City owned property and the City assists with water hookups and just lets the communities use the property.  Not sure if that will be the method for Bluff Park's Community Garden.  I spoke with Gene Smith and he thinks approaching some private land owners would be the best way to start.  A friend had a very good idea and I wanted to see what y'all thought of it. The PW shopping center used to have a gardening center - it didn't do well and went out of business. The land is just sitting there - do you think that shopping center owner would let us use the land for our garden? I don't know who owns that side of the center, and I am sure they would want money for the use of the property and then if a Tenant was ever interested (like that would happen), we would have to relocate.  Just a thought - it sure gets loads of sun and is very centrally located. Worth a shot at speaking with the Owners, I think.  I also still have not been able to catch my neighbors!  I will keep trying.  Maybe we should have a meeting with everyone who is seriously interested in starting this project and put our brains together and find the property.  Once we have secured a spot, it's pretty easy! So let me know your thought on proceeding! Thanks!!! Jenn

Jenn, that is the first place I thought of when you brought this subject up...the only problem being, like you said, it is probably owned by an investor or whoever and they will likely not just donate commercial property, especially an endcap.  That would be a GREAT spot for the garden.  

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 04/01/11 at 8:46am

Well, it's worth a shot - it's just sitting there vacant right now. I don't know of the rental prospects at the moment and I don't see the economy (especially commercial real estate) taking off in the near future!  I still want to talk to the owner's and see. But yes!  Wouldn't that be the perfect spot!!! Smiley

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #23 - 04/01/11 at 2:00pm

Jenn I am emailing you the owners info now

Email WWW   IP Logged
irrigator
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #24 - 04/01/11 at 9:04pm

Depending on the site and the accessibility to water, I could install irrigation.

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #25 - 04/01/11 at 10:38pm

Thank you!! Wow!  I am really blown away by the support for this project.  It WILL happen! Bluff Park is awesome!  And getting more awesome by the day!  Smiley

IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #26 - 04/02/11 at 12:31pm

Last night ran into guy who volunteers at Save our Strays. I'm in a hurry, but to be brief here is an idea:

Use a plot of land over there in back and all around that house. Use built up beds. Let people rent a bed and the profit goes to Save our Strays. Of course they rent from someone else so this may not work.

I did tell him that place needs merchandising and the urine smell is gross. He said many ladies have offered to help merchandise, but then there is no follow through. Just wanted to run idea of possible  community garden location and way to help that nonprofit save animals.

WWW   IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #27 - 04/11/11 at 11:00am

Irrigation idea:

If the commercial property by the Pig has downspouts, you can see if you can tie into them and set up a system of rain barrels or a buried cistern.  It would save on water costs and tying into Jeffco’s costly water system.  The only problem is getting good water pressure.

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #28 - 04/11/11 at 11:10am

I met with the owner of the property and he still wants a monthly rent rate - something in the neighborhood of $1500!.  I wonder if the City would be interested in purchasing the parcel?  He said he would love to explore that idea with Hoover.  The parcel needs to be cleaned up and could be the perfect place for a community garden. It does have PVC pipes all around it - because it was a garden center before. Everybody wants to make money though and that is commercial property.  There are several "vacant" lots along Valley Street - I know they are owned by someone and not being used - overgrown and not cleared.  I don't know, I am a tad discouraged, but if we could interest the City - it would be a real success in our neighborhood, no doubt.  Just need the land!!
undecided

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #29 - 04/11/11 at 1:16pm

The Children's Fresh Air Farm has a ton of land.  You might want to talk to them about doing a land for vegetable swap.  The contact name is Susan Clayton and the phone number is 205.933.1830 (general church number).  Good luck.

If that doesn't work there is a empty lot on Bedford Ave.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company