"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/17/24 at 10:12am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Interested in starting a Community Garden? (Read 15583 times)
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Interested in starting a Community Garden?
Reply #30 - 05/09/11 at 3:44pm

Anything new to report?

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #31 - 05/09/11 at 4:31pm

Nothing new to report...with all the storm activity and whatnot, this has been sort of pushed to the side.  I did meet with John Lemak and he wants rent for the parcel - $1500 a month.  So that is a no go.  UNLESS the City wanted to purchase it - he said he would LOVE to sell it to the City.  That would need to be discussed with Councilman Smith, first though.  This is not going to happen THIS year, but I would like to set up a meeting with all interested participants and come up with a plan.  I think I can get Edwin Marty to assist, but since the tornado's he is working on gardens for the ravaged areas, like Pleasant Grove and Pratt City.  I would like to get through May - get through the school year and have planning meeting in June.  What do y'all think of this plan?

IP Logged
KHarper
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #32 - 05/27/11 at 6:21pm

I am definitely interested in participating in a community garden.  I moved here in 1994.  I had had a vegetable garden for several years in Nashville when I moved here and tried to plant a garden in my backyard but between the soil/clay, rocks and moles, I never could get it going.  In my old garden, I grew tomatoes, sweet potatoes, peanuts, okra, cucumbers, squash, onions, melons and beans.  I would love to have a place to do that that is nearby.  I do have the flexibility to be able to tend to a plot several days of the week (pulling weeds and picking veggies is all the work there is after the initial planting anyway!).  

Email   IP Logged
KHarper
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #33 - 05/31/11 at 7:52pm

I have some friends who live in Bessemer who have been successful in starting a community garden known as the Jonesboro Community Garden.  I asked my friend what they did to get it started and here is what she told me:

"The land was vacant and not in use but was originally donated to the board of education. We presented the idea to the city council, the mayor, and the board of education and they went for it. We wrote a grant proposal to Vulcan Materials and they funded us with $7000 to start the project. We partnered with our Bessemer Historical Homeowners Association, a local church, the American Community Gardening Association, our local extention agent, and the horticultural instructor at Lawson State Community College...we all came together and worked out a plan and got it done. The garden uses about $1000 a year for up keep and new plantings. The board of education still cuts the majority of the property. Feel free to ask any questions."  

Just thought I'd pass this on as it sounds like a way to start thinking about things.  Do any of the schools in Bluff Park have land they're not using?  I don't think Bluff Park Elementary does (I live right across the street from it) but what about Gwenn or Simmons middle school?

Email   IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #34 - 09/01/11 at 2:31pm

Why don't you see if the City will let you use the land at the intersection of Alford and Tyler (diagonal to the left of the new light).  

IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #35 - 01/23/12 at 3:08pm

New to this board and wanted to bring this idea back up to see if there's been any new developments.  My wife and I would definitely be interested and willing to help with a community garden!

Thanks Smiley

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #36 - 01/25/12 at 11:25am

There is a vacant lot on Bedford that has a perking problem that you may want to consider.  The original owner still has the grass cut so he may be open to the idea of someone using it as garden.  

The only downfall to the lot is that it is relatively small (50 feet x 100 maybe) and half of it is shaded.  Could remedy the shading part by cutting some of the trees in the yard.  The perking part may actually help you since parts of the property always seem wet with some run off.  The perk maybe a benefit since you wouldn't need to run water to the property, but you would probably have to build plant boxes so the plant don't get too much water.  You could probably dig a mini well and install a hand pump.  

Also, since I live on this street, it can't look like crap.

IP Logged
Abbey111

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #37 - 01/30/12 at 9:06pm

http://www.communitygarden.org/about-acga/

Interesting link. I am getting excited about growing garden this year. Especially since our newest neighbors have done so well with theirs. They are definitely a great resource to tap into if this community garden gets off the ground. I see where tons of other places in US have done it.

Would people just die if a street decided to tastefully set aside a small patch of all participants' front yard to devote to a street long community garden? I wouldn't mind. It could be tastefully done.

I don't know if it costs to be an affiliate...but here are grant opportunities https://secure2.convio.net/kab/site/SSurvey?JServSessionIdr004=f7q2jglog1.app209
b&SURVEY_ID=2180&ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS

WWW   IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #38 - 04/06/12 at 12:47pm

It has been soooo long since I have visited bluffparkal forum and I feel like I have dropped the ball on the garden!  I see how much interest there is in this potentially wonderful addition to our community.  I feel like this is more than 1 person can actually tackle.  I would love to have a meeting to discuss steps to take and avenues to research.  I also think the garden needs a Board of Directors or some formal representation of the plot owners.  There is soooo much vacant land in Bluff Park and I have even been told that we might go "guerilla" and begin a garden somewhere in the vast vacant land owned by the City on Chapel Road.  That land is just sitting there wasting away and coyotes run all over it.  A small part of it wouldn't be missed.  BUT, I get off topic.  SO, WHO is sincerely interested in getting dirty ( Grin) and maybe planning a meeting to discuss our mission and plan!  With the high cost of living - this garden could actually feed many, many families!  So many benefits!!!

IP Logged
bluffparkdmd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #39 - 04/06/12 at 1:15pm

You can count my wife and me as interested.  The vacant land idea is a good one...running water is the main obstacle I can think of (besides any landowner issues) that might come up.  Hopefully more people will chime in so we can get this thing going

"Only floss the teeth you want to keep!"
  IP Logged
blissfull
YaBB Newbies

Reply #40 - 04/08/12 at 9:09am

I'm in!

IP Logged
Leo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #41 - 04/09/12 at 3:27am

What about the empty lot in the Piggly Wiggly Shopping Center that use to be a Nursery?
Since it use to be a nursery it probable may have water line.
Since it has been for sale for awhile the owner may could get a tax right off if they let the city use it for a set time frame( I am not a Lawyer, just thinking about charity) Wink

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #42 - 04/10/12 at 1:40pm

Angry Oh...I met with Mr. Lemak when this all first started and indeed that would be the PERFECT spot, but he wants payment per month - I think he said $1500 a month.  He will not let us use it while it just sits there wasting away and becoming more and more of an eyesore.  I really had hoped that would work out, with the daycare right there - flowers and vegetables would be a whole lot better for the kids to look at than broken beer bottles.  It's just a sad testimony to greed.  I even said if someone came to him and wanted to rent it from him, we would clear out.  He DID say, if he could get some form of tax benefit from the City for allowing us to use it, he might consider it, but I would need some help from the community to handle that one! Should we all get together and work on this one?  I'm telling you, I can see a flourishing garden there, with neighborhood dinners in the nice grassy area behind the building...It would be great.  BUT talk about red tape! Whose got the scissors!?  Grin

IP Logged
jennmccown

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #43 - 03/27/13 at 10:19pm

Every Spring the Community Garden idea comes back to the fore front if my brain. Now, I have another location proposal. What about  garden at the new Moss Rock extension the city is working on? Bright full Sun, a great gathering place and a compliment to the existing uses at Moss Rock Preserve. I was recently visiting friends in Atlanta and their neighborhood had a thriving community garden. So popular, in fact that her family has been on a waiting list for a plot for several years now! Kids were out working, it was not an eyesore, nice fencing, fun garden art...reay beautiful, functional and positive. What do yall think about this location? Cheesy

IP Logged
teeechur
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #44 - 04/02/13 at 8:19pm

Yes!  I think that is a fantastic idea.  I'll bet with a decent proposal and community support the city would favorably consider the idea.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company