"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
04/26/24 at 11:47pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Moonlight Music Cafe opening in Bluff Park (Read 37701 times)
jflint
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Moonlight Music Cafe opening in Bluff Park
11/06/09 at 8:47am

I saw this article online today. Does anyone know where this Moonlight Music Cafe will be opening up?

http://blog.al.com/mcolurso/2009/11/reason_to_glow_founder_says_mo.html

WWW   IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Re: Moonlight Music Cafe opening in Bluff Park
Reply #1 - 11/06/09 at 10:03pm

its news to me....., there is not much in BP I dont know about...I will go on the hunt.....more to come...

Email WWW   IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #2 - 11/09/09 at 9:15am

If I remember correctly, this used to be open in Vestavia by the Stein Mart, but the owner had to shut down a few years ago due to due declining sales...I hope if its the same guy trying a new start we can all support him~~~

stangviperred   IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #3 - 11/09/09 at 12:25pm

here is an update:

I have spoken to Keith Harrelson owner of Moonlight. He is not ready to give specific details yet but yes Moonlight is coming to Bluff Park in a new form and it is nothing that Bluff Park has seen in its business community to date. He is excited to be moving to the area. I will release more details when he has everything finalized. He says his target date for full operation is soon after New Year's and if you'd like to come have a preview at
where the new place will be he will be hosting the final show of  the "Small Stages" series next Sunday night, November 15th. Go to www.smallstages.com to make reservations and get the location

You are correct Nickel it is the same guy that was in Vestavia.

Email WWW   IP Logged
johnny4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #4 - 11/11/09 at 5:46pm

BPW: Do you know why he has chosen to not offer alcohol? I'm a young person in Bluff Park (27) and have several friends who have all recently, within the last 2 years, moved here as well.....We have gotten increasingly perplexed at the complete and total void of locations for young professionals to grab a drink with friends and coworkers in the evening....I am glad to see that Moonlight is coming to BP, but sad to hear that it seems to not have any plans to serve drinks.....

Can anyone tell me why this is? Is there some sort of ban on alcohol sales in Bluff park that we don't know of? I feel confident that I know of at least 20 people that would support such an establishment......

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #5 - 11/11/09 at 6:16pm

Quote from johnny4 on 11/11/09 at 5:46pm:
BPW: Do you know why he has chosen to not offer alcohol? I'm a young person in Bluff Park (27) and have several friends who have all recently, within the last 2 years, moved here as well.....We have gotten increasingly perplexed at the complete and total void of locations for young professionals to grab a drink with friends and coworkers in the evening....I am glad to see that Moonlight is coming to BP, but sad to hear that it seems to not have any plans to serve drinks.....

Can anyone tell me why this is? Is there some sort of ban on alcohol sales in Bluff park that we don't know of? I feel confident that I know of at least 20 people that would support such an establishment......

Good question, which deserves a valid answer.  I'll give you my input from observation.  Someone else chime in if you have a different take.

First, we have to look at the demographics of the area, specifically from a religious point of view.  We have a fairly conservative population, most who attend church on a regular basis.  We have several churches in Bluff Park, with many more within a few miles, two of those that could be considered mega-churches.  

Second, the number of schools we have in Bluff Park.  Besides the elementary school, we also have a number of daycare/pre-schools in the area.  In order for a business (an "establishment") to get a beer/wine license or a liquor license, they must jump through a number of hoops, which include the Zoning Board and then the City Council.  Both of those bodies have to approve an establishment being able to get a license to sell alcohol.  The fact that we have so many places that cater to children plays a role in the government agency giving a license out.

Obviously politics plays a role.  We, as residents of Bluff Park, have to weigh the pros and cons of having a restaurant/establishment that serves alcohol.  Let's face it, the patrons will not always be only folks from Bluff Park.  And let's also be realistic.  Places that sell alcohol, specifically night clubs, CAN create trouble.  I'm not saying they WILL, just that they CAN.  Put yourself in the place of a council member.  Our little neck of the woods accounts for a TON of votes in city council elections.  Our residents actually go to the polls and vote, unlike other parts of Hoover, so Bluff Park is an important part of the constituency.  A blanket YES vote to any establishment that sells alcohol could spell doom for an incumbent if things turn out bad.  Their argument could be that there already are places in Hoover that businesses like that could open that are more likely to get an alcohol license based on their location.  I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's how they might think when casting a vote.

I know nothing about this new place, so I couldn't say what kind of crowd they might draw.  If it's strictly a 27-54 crowd that just wants to sit back and relax, listen to some music while enjoying a glass of wine, I would say why not give them a shot.  But if it's a bar that draws the 21-35 crowd, plays loud music, and creates trouble, I don't think we need that, do you?

Almost three years ago the city invested a good chunk of change in doing a study on what type of businesses Bluff Park could sustain.  I don't remember if a nightclub was one of them, but there needed to be a lot of private investment in order for the city to invest money.  Obviously times and the economy has changed.  The city is in no position to do anything right now except perhaps give out licenses to sell alcohol.  If people want this place to be able to sell alcohol, or don't for that matter, they need to contact the council and voice their opinion.  Their e-mail addresses can be found here:

http://www.hooveral.org/Default.asp?ID=88

« Last Edit: 11/11/09 at 7:30pm by bpresident »  
  IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #6 - 11/11/09 at 8:51pm

Johnny4,

It is my understanding from my conversation with the owner that it was just a choice not to sell alcohol or food in the "new" form of "Moonlight" which I think will be called Moonlight on the Mountain.  Licensing etc that BPresident mentioned was also mentioned so I would attribute the lack of sales to that. Now that does not mean that they or anyone else could not come back later and add that to the establishment. I can not give more detail, but I can say that it is not a nightclub or bar type situation from what I understand, my suggestion is to go to his website and get a reservation for the next event which will be at the new Bluff Park location.  

and just to head off a question about Mr. P's selling beer that anyone may have, it is in the city of Birmingham not Hoover.

Email WWW   IP Logged
johnny4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 11/12/09 at 9:38am

Thank you both for your responses....I appreciate the info

However, I did want to clarify a couple of things:

1) I am NOT in favor of a night club in Bluff Park. Aside from any dilemmas posed by the type of crowd and late-night issues that may arise, it would simply be a bad business decision to locate a new night club in BP. However, I AM in favor of a neighborhood pub/watering hole that would serve as a venue to the after-work crowd or the weekend football fan. I lived in Chicago while I was in school there, and this (www.myspace.com/thewrightwoodtap) was one of my favorite spots in the whole city. A genuine, neighborhood pub that didn't try too hard to be something it isn't. That is pretty much what I envision when thinking of a pub that could do well.

2) Demographics.....This is precisely why I think a business like this would work. BPres, I don't pretend to know your own station in life, views on politics, religious stances, etc, but I DO know that there are more and more people like myself moving into Bluff Park at every opportunity they get. I understand that Bluff Park is predominantly populated by an older, conservative group of individuals. However, in terms of the age, how long do you think that will remain that way? Just in my brief time here (4.5 years) I have had 5 friends buy houses in Bluff Park (2 were on Alford Ave, which I know doesn't technically count) who are all under the age of 30. Truthfully, I could name 10 more who I am not as close to who have purchased homes in the area that are within the same age range as well. Perhaps my experience is unique, but I don't really think it is.
I guess my point is this: With an increasingly younger, startup-minded contingent of home owners in the area, I think those who choose to look down upon some sort of moral highground on the "young troublemakers" will become increasingly smaller in number. My peer group is choosing from neighborhoods like crestline park, edgewood, and forest park....While Bluff Park (in my opinion) can offer these homehunters larger lots at a much more affordable price, the one thing it can not come close to competing in is retail options. What I don't understand is that someone could have an issue with a new business because "patrons will not always be only folks from Bluff Park." Why on earth would you want to start a business that only catered to a small, select few instead of bringing in dollars from patrons who are willing to spend them....no matter where they come from?

3) I understand what you are referring to in regards to political hurdles that impede an idea like this from taking form. However, by your own logic, most of these obstacles are rooted in the idea that politcal leaders hope to avoid blowback from those who would complain because a business acquired a liquor/beer license and planned on serving alcohol in their neighborhood. Wouldn't you agree, then, that it falls as a responsibility to these political leaders to explain to these citizens how additional revenue generates tax dollars that will help to improve the area they love so much? Shouldn't they also explain that establishments such as this will help Bluff Park bring in the home purchasers who are also considering some of the other neighborhoods I mentioned earlier, thus driving property values up? If an individual is against a) improvement to their neck of the woods as well as b) an increase in their property value because they simply object to the idea of alchohol being sold......Well, I have nothing more to say to them because clearly logic is not something they make their decisions upon  

Reading over this, I think it seems like I am being very argumentative, which is not my intention at all....I guess I just get frustrated that when a friend calls me from crestline park to get together for a beer or glass of wine, I have absolutely no option within 5 miles of my home.....That just doesn't make sense, does it?

Back to the original issue at hand: I certainly hope Mr. Harrelson does well with his new location for Moonlight, but I would pose this question: Who does he think will be supporting his business? A bluehair or me? I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their business, but I think he would do well to consider the type of people who are going to be darkening his doorway.....And the cold, hard truth is that there are certain amenities that we expect from establishments like his, and when those amenities are missing.........wellll........

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #8 - 11/12/09 at 10:01am

Quote from johnny4 on 11/12/09 at 9:38am:
Thank you both for your responses....I appreciate the info

However, I did want to clarify a couple of things:

1) I am NOT in favor of a night club in Bluff Park. Aside from any dilemmas posed by the type of crowd and late-night issues that may arise, it would simply be a bad business decision to locate a new night club in BP. However, I AM in favor of a neighborhood pub/watering hole that would serve as a venue to the after-work crowd or the weekend football fan. I lived in Chicago while I was in school there, and this (www.myspace.com/thewrightwoodtap) was one of my favorite spots in the whole city. A genuine, neighborhood pub that didn't try too hard to be something it isn't. That is pretty much what I envision when thinking of a pub that could do well.

2) Demographics.....This is precisely why I think a business like this would work. BPres, I don't pretend to know your own station in life, views on politics, religious stances, etc, but I DO know that there are more and more people like myself moving into Bluff Park at every opportunity they get. I understand that Bluff Park is predominantly populated by an older, conservative group of individuals. However, in terms of the age, how long do you think that will remain that way? Just in my brief time here (4.5 years) I have had 5 friends buy houses in Bluff Park (2 were on Alford Ave, which I know doesn't technically count) who are all under the age of 30. Truthfully, I could name 10 more who I am not as close to who have purchased homes in the area that are within the same age range as well. Perhaps my experience is unique, but I don't really think it is.
I guess my point is this: With an increasingly younger, startup-minded contingent of home owners in the area, I think those who choose to look down upon some sort of moral highground on the "young troublemakers" will become increasingly smaller in number. My peer group is choosing from neighborhoods like crestline park, edgewood, and forest park....While Bluff Park (in my opinion) can offer these homehunters larger lots at a much more affordable price, the one thing it can not come close to competing in is retail options. What I don't understand is that someone could have an issue with a new business because "patrons will not always be only folks from Bluff Park." Why on earth would you want to start a business that only catered to a small, select few instead of bringing in dollars from patrons who are willing to spend them....no matter where they come from?

3) I understand what you are referring to in regards to political hurdles that impede an idea like this from taking form. However, by your own logic, most of these obstacles are rooted in the idea that politcal leaders hope to avoid blowback from those who would complain because a business acquired a liquor/beer license and planned on serving alcohol in their neighborhood. Wouldn't you agree, then, that it falls as a responsibility to these political leaders to explain to these citizens how additional revenue generates tax dollars that will help to improve the area they love so much? Shouldn't they also explain that establishments such as this will help Bluff Park bring in the home purchasers who are also considering some of the other neighborhoods I mentioned earlier, thus driving property values up? If an individual is against a) improvement to their neck of the woods as well as b) an increase in their property value because they simply object to the idea of alchohol being sold......Well, I have nothing more to say to them because clearly logic is not something they make their decisions upon

Reading over this, I think it seems like I am being very argumentative, which is not my intention at all....I guess I just get frustrated that when a friend calls me from crestline park to get together for a beer or glass of wine, I have absolutely no option within 5 miles of my home.....That just doesn't make sense, does it?

Back to the original issue at hand: I certainly hope Mr. Harrelson does well with his new location for Moonlight, but I would pose this question: Who does he think will be supporting his business? A bluehair or me? I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their business, but I think he would do well to consider the type of people who are going to be darkening his doorway.....And the cold, hard truth is that there are certain amenities that we expect from establishments like his, and when those amenities are missing.........wellll........

I think you may have misunderstood my post as being against your idea.  I'm not.  I think it is time that we look at bringing in a neighborhood "pub" as you suggest.  Not only do I think we need a place like that, I think as you do, that it would make the area more appealing to a young professional crowd.

So you see, it's not me that you need to convince.  I think it's a great idea.  The question is "Is it a viable idea?".  If you build it, WILL they come?  The "they" in that sentence is people like you and me.  It's important that once a business opens in Bluff Park that we patronize it.  I've seen too many good businesses fold because people didn't go there.

As for our local government,   I've found that our city council is a pretty open minded group.  They will listen to any idea, but they are also want solid facts to support the ideas.  Our police sub-station is a perfect example of that.

Glad to see you on our forum and hope that you'll post more.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #9 - 11/12/09 at 11:10am

I think a neighborhood pub is a very good idea as you said Johnny4 there is not such a place for miles around BP.

I would not count out the idea of alcohol at the establishment, he is just not going to sell it at this time, does not mean that will not change in the future. It could turn to a brown bag it kind of situation if that is allowed he has said that he will have to see the city about that. As I said make a reservation on his web site and go see what it is going to be about. Its going to be different "a different" form" from what was in Vestavia.. its a new idea... As soon as he has more details ironed out I will release them as he wants

Email WWW   IP Logged
BLUFFPARKJOE
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 11/12/09 at 12:43pm

I don't believe most folk in Bluff Park want to live in Crestline, Edgewood, or Forest Park.

Those locations are OK - but they are not Bluff Park.

We have a unique situation and a great place to raise a family.  
I prefer to keep it that way and am willing to drive a short while if I want something different for the evening.

The new location is within walking distance of one of our fine schools - not a good spot for a "pub".

IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #11 - 11/12/09 at 1:34pm

Bluff Park definitely needs something to try to liven it up...A coffee house, and this sounds like it might be, could be a good idea, but I don't see how it could possibly stay open every night.  Sounds like a place that might have small events and open for them, but stay closed the rest of the time.  Nothing wrong with that, but if he decided to make it more appealing to peopel other than "hippie" types it might do better.

stangviperred   IP Logged
johnny4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #12 - 11/12/09 at 4:12pm

BLUFFPARKJOE: I agree with you that BP provides a unique opportunity to raise a family in a great neighborhood. After all, I live here, so I must like it somewhat. My point about the other neighborhoods is that they offer something that we currently don't have: retail options. I'm not looking for miracles here....Just a little movement in the right direction. To say that you don't mind driving somewhere else to meet with people for a drink or night out is perfectly fine....But I have news for you Joe: you don't have a choice.
In terms of location, I don't think having it directly next to a school is a good idea either, but that doesn't have to be the case.

BPresident: Sorry for sounding preachy....I am glad you are in agreement with me....That means you are super smart!  Wink

I certainly hope Mr. Harrelson figures out the right formula, and honestly BPW, before you mentioned the brown bag idea, I wondered if that might be a viable option, at least at the beginning......He could even charge a corking fee for $5-$8, and I think it would help generate a little extra revenue for him at minimal cost.....anyway, it's a good idea to try out

IP Logged
dw14
YaBB Newbies

I live in Shades
Mountain!

Reply #13 - 11/13/09 at 11:08am

A neighborhood pub would be great b/c when we go grab drinks after work we normally go to Homewood or downtown.  I would also fall into the "young professional" crowd and have wondered about a little place.  Oak Hill in Homewood is walking distance from the school and as far as I can tell all the schools and churches right there are just fine.... Just sayin'

Email   IP Logged
BLUFFPARKJOE
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 11/13/09 at 1:30pm

I have news for you Johnny - I do have a choice. I chose to live in Bluff Park and I choose to stay.

If you want to live in those other places then you too have a choice.

Hey - I think those other neighborhoods are cool - nice places to visit - but I just don't want to live there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company