"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/08/24 at 6:48pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Moonlight Music Cafe opening in Bluff Park (Read 37720 times)
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Moonlight Music Cafe opening in Bluff Park
Reply #15 - 11/13/09 at 2:50pm

First, let me state for the record that I am not in favor of this type establishment in our corner of Hoover for some of the very reasons posted here and, should it ever come up for a vote, I would vote no. Now, with that said, if that type establishment were to be allowed, I don't think it would really matter to me as long as it did not become a public nuisance and did not interfer with the peace and quiet of our wonderful neighborhood. If it were to become an issue, then I feel relatively sure that if enough residents complained loud enough and long enough, it could/would be shut down. Who, with the knowledge that the residents really oppose this type business, would want to persue taking a chance on something that could potentially cost them money for poor judgement?

Email   IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 11/13/09 at 3:08pm

Anyone on here that is not in favor of having a new establishment in the area, truly doesn't care about the neighborhood.  You talk about supporting the neighborhood and want stuff nearby, but only on your terms.  Everyone "loved" Little Ceasars, but that shut down...The grocery store shut down...Minervas left.  Now we have people on here that dis the Pig because it doesn't have a good variety, or the Wing place because its not open on Sundays...We should support what we have and maybe if people see they are supported more places would come in.  Really If you really care about Bluff Park, you should be happy to have anything come to the area, to help build up the area...They aren't talking about a strip club or anything, just a place where people can go, listen to music, and relax with friends.

stangviperred   IP Logged
dw14
YaBB Newbies

I live in Shades
Mountain!

Reply #17 - 11/13/09 at 6:00pm

That was a good post.

Email   IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 11/13/09 at 6:17pm

Quote from nickel4al on 11/13/09 at 3:08pm:
Anyone on here that is not in favor of having a new establishment in the area, truly doesn't care about the neighborhood.  You talk about supporting the neighborhood and want stuff nearby, but only on your terms.  Everyone "loved" Little Ceasars, but that shut down...The grocery store shut down...Minervas left.  Now we have people on here that dis the Pig because it doesn't have a good variety, or the Wing place because its not open on Sundays...We should support what we have and maybe if people see they are supported more places would come in.  Really If you really care about Bluff Park, you should be happy to have anything come to the area, to help build up the area...They aren't talking about a strip club or anything, just a place where people can go, listen to music, and relax with friends.

If a place were to open and it isn't what it was supposed to be, a couple of complaints would make it go away:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/hoover_city_council_votes_to_s.html

IP Logged
johnny4
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 11/16/09 at 9:53am

BPJOE: With all due respect, I think you need to re-read my original response to you...I wasn't saying you didn't have a choice in places to live...You do, and I'm glad you chose Bluff Park....I was saying you don't have a choice in terms of evening dining/drink retail spaces....I think you can agree with that.

HarvardMBA: I'm sorry to hear that you are not in support of a local business that has the potential to do well, but you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. In terms of who else feels similarly, I think you are probably right that there are a few others that would view a neighborhood pub in a negative light. However, I think there are probably many more who feel as I do, that an establishment like this would be a positive thing for both the economic and cultural development of Bluff Park.

Unfortunately, as BPres pointed out in that article, it seems as if a few bad apples tend to spoil the bunch. (my interpretation, not his) Despite the possibility that a Bluff park-based pub could have the patronage to keep it going, it seems that the smallest bit of blowback would halt its development.

I think there are a couple of key points to be learned from the Southlake issue:
- IF a neighborhood pub were to open in BP, they would have to be extremely sensitive to the noise issue....Whether this entailed sound proofing, location, choice of live music, etc (or probably all three) the owner would need to have as minimal impact on the noise landscape in Bluff Park as possible.
- I think transparency in the "type" of establishment to be brought in is absolutely necessary....If you are going to be a sports bar, say you're going to be a sports bar.....If you are going to be an irish pub w/ karaoke on thursdays, disclose that in the outset....I think the biggest killer of a business like this would be to say that you are going to be one thing, and then turning out to be something else...It makes it difficult to argue in your favor when you weren't honest about what you were bringing to the table

IP Logged
ponder
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #20 - 11/16/09 at 10:16am

Ok, I will admit that I did not take the time to read all of the posts on this topic. I assume that some people are for the new business, and others are against it. My wife and I have only lived in Bluff Park for 1 year or so. We are newly married, 29 & 24 yrs. old, and we moved here in July 2008. I understand that others that have been here much longer have their opinion, and rightfully so. But to speak on behalf of the younger posters, I would be 100% in favor of a cafe/bar/restaurant in Bluff Park. I think as long as Lakeview and 5 Points are around, the younger (college-aged) crowd is going to stick to those establishments. A place that served food, and drinks, and had light music on the weekends would be great for our neighborhood, in my opinion! The only comparable places I can think of are Oak Hill in Homewood, and Tommy's Up Top in Vestavia. I don't know if Tommy's is even there anymore, but both of these places are close in proximity to neighborhoods, schools, churches, etc. and as far as I know there are no problems. Believe me, I love the fact that Bluff Park is a quiet, secluded, safe neighborhood. That is why we moved up here. I do not think a new business would change that. My family used to live on Valley Ave. when I was born, and still lives off of Alford Ave. in Vestavia now. It is a great part of town. But the 2 shopping centers in Bluff Park are pretty sad to be honest. I love New China, and having Piggly Wiggly (just to grab a few things) so close by, but that is about it. With the Publix shopping center on Hwy. 150, to the Grove, it seems like our shopping centers are going downhill and need something new....

« Last Edit: 11/16/09 at 10:37am by ponder »  
  IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 11/28/09 at 7:59am

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #22 - 11/28/09 at 2:38pm

The Location:

"585 Shades Crest Road, on the ground floor of a homey retail center that also houses the Bluff Park Diner, almost directly across from the Tip Top Grill."

Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #23 - 12/11/09 at 10:35am

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Moonlight
YaBB Newbies

Better times are
coming--

Reply #24 - 12/17/09 at 6:37pm

Hasn't been much chit-chat lately about plans for the Moonlight at Lover's Leap--- so let me catch you up on where we stand at the moment---

Our hearing Monday night before the Planning and Zoning Board was an enlightening experience---
I'm happy to say that there were no objections to the presentation of live music at that location, so we feel that we can go ahead with our plans to operate there, provided we can bring the building up to code for hosting an audience when we have events. Many of you know that changing a space from a retail storefront to an Assembly category involves modifications that will make it safe for more than fifteen people at a time. Fire code requires the creation of a rear exit with wheelchair refuge, and reinforcing firewalls and barriers between the building and its neighbor. Another ADA accessible restroom has to be added, along with a dozen further little upgrades--- all of which we hope to accomplish in January.

During the PZ Board's meeting, we were quietly advised to ask for a month's continuance on the Planning and Zoning approval vote, to separate us from the efforts of another applicant who's seeking to reinstate his live music permit, which was revoked amid much public hoopla last spring--- evidently, Board and Council members would not be inclined to approve one at the same time they denied another. While I believe each application should be considered and decided according to its own merits, it seemed prudent to play the game according to the arcane whims of its referees--- even if it means more time and expense in the process.  

The city authorities, I think, are supportive of our plans--- there are simply a lot of dance steps to complete, mainly so that liabilities can be assigned to the proper entities. I'm confident we'll get our approval at January's meeting, and then have to go before the full City Council in February. The extra weeks, while frustrating and costly, will perhaps come in handy for the build-out, multiple inspections, and any unforeseen delays.

As to the many comments regarding the need for a pub or an upscale food & drink source in BP--- man, I'm with ya. However, unless you've been in the business of operating such an establishment, you can't halfway imagine the nightmare of regulations, requirements, licenses, permits, documents, taxes, and general up-front out-the-door expenses involved in getting to the point where you can sell your first plate of tapas or glass of Shiraz. Add the 16-hour workdays, the high expectations or the lack of sophistication of most customers, and a devastating economy that keeps everybody huddled at home these days--- it's  a wonder anyone would be dumb enough to attempt a start-up, especially in neighborhood that has no record of supporting such
businesses in the past.

So what'sa matter with me, that I'm idiot enough to try something like this? Common sense says that the Moonlight's new location has zero chance of ever becoming a watering hole for trolling singles, or after-work yuppies, or new retirees, or even old ones--- all of which are plentiful in the surrounding neighborhood. It would be flat impossible to get approval for an ABC license--- there are several super-resistant residents, churches, and a school too close, plus a covenant dating back sixty years on that hilltop property, prohibiting "dance halls, roadhouses, or honky-tonks." Stop in, grab a frosty beer, say hi to Sam, Diane and Norm? Never gonna happen.... not there, sorry.

BUT--- I believe that what I have in mind will fit neatly into the space--- low-key, intriguing, inclusive, affordable, and unique entertainment of a sort that can't be found anywhere else in the area. The Moonlight stage would host real musicians and performers, travelers from around the world, as well as aspiring local players of all ages, who don't have another platform to get heard, or even get started. Our southern suburbs are full of people who still support and appreciate the last forty years of American folk, roots, country, and blues music--- they just can't bring themselves to drive ten miles to a loud, smoky bar to spend twenty-five bucks and be uncomfortable all night.  

I believe a broader range of people would be more likely to patronize a nearby spot that's not so different from their own living room--- calm, friendly, easygoing--- AND, they'd get to bring along their own choice of store-bought beverages, long as they're of a legal age to do so. Sure, lots of you won't be interested in a place like that, you would prefer something less homegrown and more conventional... so maybe we should say that The Moonlight won't be for everybody, it's for everybody ELSE.

What I hope will evolve is a true, independent community center--- a family-friendly room that can be used for whatever populist activities may naturally present themselves. Concerts, celebrations, small organization meetings, forums... a stand-alone gathering hall, without the overriding sanction of a church, school, or municipality. Of course, I'll be trying to cover the overhead through daytime operations as a photography/video studio--- believing that the people who participate in the evening activities will be a significant source of that business.

Bluff Park has a thousand different voices, and my ears are open to any opinions, as I pursue this project. This is a hip-pocket enterprise, there's no nationwide chain or coalition of investors shoveling money into a bank account to underwrite it.... just me and my finite resources, hoping to refine and reconstitute a singular social experiment that'll be appreciated and remembered.    
I look forward to teaming up with folks who can contribute their skills in making it a reality-- we could sure use some hammer-swingers for the upcoming construction, we'll need some forward-thinking computer-tech and video help in getting the studio put together, and we're open to the input of anyone--- men, women, or children-- with ideas about how best to make use of
a non-partisan, non-denominational, non-governmental little baby town hall.

Go to the website, you'll see how to contact me---  www.moonlightonthemtn.com

And here you thought it was gonna be a night club---

Email   IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #25 - 12/17/09 at 9:31pm

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to it, even w/o Norm Smiley

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #26 - 12/17/09 at 11:26pm

Great post!!

Email WWW   IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #27 - 01/01/10 at 8:07pm

If you have the "Bring your own bottle" policy, just provide a bar, bartender and charge a corking fee for any bottle/drink served.  That way you are making a little money with no liability.

IP Logged
bvhcpa
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 01/05/10 at 11:25am

As a not-so-young professional, my husband and I have lived in Bluff Park for about 8 years and have long wondered why there wasn't a local pub in the area.  We hope that as older residents move off to retirement homes and pass away, and younger residents move in, that the community as a whole will improve.  There are some lovely things about Bluff Park, which is why we were attracted to this area, but there are some very real problems that need to be addressed sooner rather than later.  Retail establishments being one of big ones.

IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #29 - 01/05/10 at 4:01pm

The greeting card profession, no doubt Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company