"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/03/24 at 8:09pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area (Read 19680 times)
donjuandomain
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area
Reply #15 - 10/25/07 at 6:00pm

The cat involved was my cat and I have a bit more information.

The attack happened as described on Monday 10/22 morning at about 2:30a.  There were two dogs involved based on a neighbor's memory of the barking.

Since then, I've been noticing a large Husky, estimating 70+ pounds, wandering around the neighborhood [see for a fuzzy pic  http://onedomain.com/don/temp/husky.jpg ].  

This morning 10/25/07 at 6a, I found this dog with a smaller companion looking over my porch where the attack occurred.   At about 7:30, the dog was back again in the same area.  This time I noticed he had a distinct limp as I scared him away.  Then I noticed him going from porch to porch on Park Ave at about 8a.  I followed him down Rock View as he visited porches and unattended yards.  He briefly fought with two smaller dogs in a pen on the way.  

This Husky has a collar and seems possibly friendly.  He's possbly injured and appears to be on a constant hunt for food.  I feel he is probably the animal that killed my cat and may be an abandoned animal on the hunt for food.  He has no fear of coming onto porches and I would think that ALL small dogs and any size cats are at risk from this particular animal.  I've called Hoover Animal control about this.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 10/25/07 at 6:22pm

So you think it wasn't a coyote?  Thank you for calling animal control.  What did they say?  I'm still concerned about the possibility of a coyote attacking pets, since one has been sighted, but want all the information we can get.

IP Logged
donjuandomain
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #17 - 10/26/07 at 11:46am

More info:  The animals in question that killed my cat this past Monday were most certainly two Huskies roaming the Park Ave area.  They keep coming to my house - four times yesterday and once so far today.  I got within 10 feet of them last night and got a good look at them.

From what I can tell, there is an older large male who weighs about 70 lbs.  He seems injured on his face and walks/runs with a limp.  At least with me, he's never too concerned about my presence unless I get within 10 feet.  At this point, he starts snorting, growling and even barking.  Even so, he still cowers when confronted.  He seems to have litte fear of people as my wife walked out on the porch last night and was spooked by him and his partner last night.  He has an old nice leather collar, but it seems old.  He also has a tag.

The other Husky seems younger, is smaller and weighs about 40 lbs.  He seems more friendly, but very protective of his mate if cornered.  I almost leashed him last night.

Last night following these dogs, they seemed to find a home base around 527/531 Park Terrace.  At least that's where they ended up last night.  

I no longer think coyotes were involved in my case.  However, who needs coyotes when a normal dog like a Husky could turn out to be so vicious.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 10/27/07 at 8:38am

Quote from donjuandomain on 10/26/07 at 11:46am:
More info:  The animals in question that killed my cat this past Monday were most certainly two Huskies roaming the Park Ave area.  They keep coming to my house - four times yesterday and once so far today.  I got within 10 feet of them last night and got a good look at them.

From what I can tell, there is an older large male who weighs about 70 lbs.  He seems injured on his face and walks/runs with a limp.  At least with me, he's never too concerned about my presence unless I get within 10 feet.  At this point, he starts snorting, growling and even barking.  Even so, he still cowers when confronted.  He seems to have litte fear of people as my wife walked out on the porch last night and was spooked by him and his partner last night.  He has an old nice leather collar, but it seems old.  He also has a tag.

The other Husky seems younger, is smaller and weighs about 40 lbs.  He seems more friendly, but very protective of his mate if cornered.  I almost leashed him last night.

Last night following these dogs, they seemed to find a home base around 527/531 Park Terrace.  At least that's where they ended up last night.  

I no longer think coyotes were involved in my case.  However, who needs coyotes when a normal dog like a Husky could turn out to be so vicious.

Did you contact Animal Control to let them know about these dogs and where they live?

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 10/27/07 at 3:04pm

Quote from bpresident on 10/27/07 at 8:38am:
Quote from donjuandomain on 10/26/07 at 11:46am:

Did you contact Animal Control to let them know about these dogs and where they live?

I'm donjuandomain's Mom...I feel sure he has called Animal Control now that he knows the dog's timing and habits and probable address since he called them to report the attack before he knew whether it was a coyote or dog(s).  Rest assured, he will not let this matter drop!  He has other pets, and so do I, so we are a pet-loving family.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #20 - 10/27/07 at 7:49pm

Please know I don't feel anyone is to blame here, and my heart hurts for the family who went through this.  I have vulnerable pets and live very close, so I'm trying to keep up with the situation.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 10/28/07 at 9:51am

My son has not seen the two Huskies around his house the past two days...ever since he posted the picture of one, their description, and the address where they probably live...and he has been on the watch for them.

Either the dog owner is now aware that Animal Control is on the lookout for the dogs and is keeping them penned in or they have been picked up by Animal Control.  Of course, there is also the possibility that the dogs may have decided to move on to other areas to look for food and small animals.

IP Logged
hookemhorns
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 10/28/07 at 8:06pm

I am very sorry to  hear about your cat! We live on Park Ave, close to the Elementary School and both of our cats Tritan and Moe have also been killed by this vicious dog within the same week(10/25). Both incidents occured in the early morning hours. Our neighbors witnessed this horrible event, but fortunately they were able to identify the dog. The dog is a Husky with white on his chest, and has a grey/blackish color on his back. This dog has been seen wandering on Park Ave late night/early morning (12am-7am). We have also been informed about 3 other recent vicious attacks on cats on Park by our neighbor. I was told that recently that a Park resident and his neighbor went after the dog (to try and put him on a leash) and followed him over to Park Terrace where he turned around and began to growl at the men. We called Animal Control but apparently had no effect since the dog is still roaming the streets. The Husky must be escaping his yard without his owners knowledge. The point is there IS a very mean dog killing cats and could possibly be a danger to the children walking to school or waiting for the school bus since it is not afraid of grown men. Also, if any one has any further information on this dog, please let me know so that I can inform the owner of the unfortunate events in the area, caused by his dog.

Email   IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #23 - 10/28/07 at 9:42pm

People are talking about pumpkins while this is happening?  Please Recap, donjaundomain (maybe i got that right), hookemhorns, let us know of any developments.  I plan to call Hoover Animal Control tomorrow, but I haven't lost a pet, so I don't think it will mean much.  This is not an acceptable situation.  Please make sure they know the circumstances of your losses, and that this dangerous animal is still at large.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #24 - 10/28/07 at 10:07pm

Quote from hookemhorns on 10/28/07 at 8:06pm:
I am very sorry to  hear about your cat! We live on Park Ave, close to the Elementary School and both of our cats Tritan and Moe have also been killed by this vicious dog within the same week(10/25). Both incidents occured in the early morning hours. Our neighbors witnessed this horrible event, but fortunately they were able to identify the dog. The dog is a Husky with white on his chest, and has a grey/blackish color on his back. This dog has been seen wandering on Park Ave late night/early morning (12am-7am). We have also been informed about 3 other recent vicious attacks on cats on Park by our neighbor. I was told that recently that a Park resident and his neighbor went after the dog (to try and put him on a leash) and followed him over to Park Terrace where he turned around and began to growl at the men. We called Animal Control but apparently had no effect since the dog is still roaming the streets. The Husky must be escaping his yard without his owners knowledge. The point is there IS a very mean dog killing cats and could possibly be a danger to the children walking to school or waiting for the school bus since it is not afraid of grown men. Also, if any one has any further information on this dog, please let me know so that I can inform the owner of the unfortunate events in the area, caused by his dog.

My son whose cat was killed last Sunday night told me tonight that he has heard of approximately 10 cats in the neighborhood that have been visciously killed recently.  He mentioned someone up the street from him with two cats, so I know he must have been talking about your two cats, and I'm very sorry for your loss and what you must have gone through.  

It is now very obvious that these two Huskies must be caught and put down by Animal Control.  They have the taste and thrill of killing ingrained in them too deeply, and they are now a definite danger to our children and our pets, and based on my son's encounter with the two dogs in attempting to get close to them, they are also a danger to adults.  I feel sorry for the owners of these dogs, but these are dangerous, viscious animals that must be dealt with by Animal Control immediately before a child is attacked.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #25 - 10/29/07 at 8:06am

Two huskies, one large and one small, are on Brookline Dr right now.  There is another husky who lives there, but these two sound like the ones we are looking for.  I called animal control and left a message.

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/29/07 at 8:41am

Quote from straycatmom on 10/28/07 at 9:42pm:
People are talking about pumpkins while this is happening?  Please Recap, donjaundomain (maybe i got that right), hookemhorns, let us know of any developments.  I plan to call Hoover Animal Control tomorrow, but I haven't lost a pet, so I don't think it will mean much.  This is not an acceptable situation.  Please make sure they know the circumstances of your losses, and that this dangerous animal is still at large.

I'm confused- are we not allowed to discuss other topics on other threads because of this situation.  I agree this is a very urgent matter but am unsure what the issue is with pumpkins? The site is set so that everyone can talk about what they wish under seperate threads. If one is not interested in pumpkins, they choose not to participate in the thread.

Again while i agree this is an important matter, your comments imply it is the only matter we should be discussing and that other topics are not valid.

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #27 - 10/29/07 at 8:59am

You are right, I'm sorry about that.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #28 - 10/29/07 at 9:48am

I have just called Animal Control and left a very long detailed message about these two dogs and the circumstances we are facing in our neighborhoods.  I also left my name and my phone number in case they want to contact me.  I was very courteous but I was also very firm and direct about these two Huskies, their killing instincts, and the safety of our pets and possibly our children.  

The city of Hoover has a leash law, many of us have called Animal Control about this situation, and still the owners allow these dogs to run loose.  Perhaps these dogs are digging out of their fence (if they are in fact fenced in).  Perhaps the owners are opening the door and letting these dogs out of their house/pens.  I don't know, but I do know these owner's are breaking the law and I, for one, hold them responsible for all the pets that have been killed thus far, and I certainly would consider them responsible if a person is attacked and harmed by their dogs.  

IP Logged
hookemhorns
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #29 - 10/29/07 at 12:46pm

I do feel sorry for the owner of the two Huskys, because I know they may be required to give up their dogs. We all know how it feels to have a loved pet taken away too soon, but I just spoke to Animal Control myself, and they say that someone is being sent to search for these two dogs. They also informed me of several calls from this area regarding the Huskys, so I and I'm sure everyone who has also lost a furry child, would like to thank everyone for helping out and taking matters into their own hand by calling and letting them know this is a serious issue! I know the dogs haven't been caught yet, but I'm sure 'Tritan' and 'Moe' would be purrfectly pleased to know that their neighbors are doing what they can to prevent anymore tragic losses of their furry friends. I just learned of this site yesterday from my neighbor and am pleased to know that the Bluff Park community can come together and help their neighbors...Thanks again to everyone!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company