"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/03/24 at 9:15pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area (Read 19683 times)
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Viscious Dog Loose in Bluff Park area
Reply #30 - 10/29/07 at 1:20pm

Quote from hookemhorns on 10/29/07 at 12:46pm:
I do feel sorry for the owner of the two Huskys, because I know they may be required to give up their dogs. We all know how it feels to have a loved pet taken away too soon, but I just spoke to Animal Control myself, and they say that someone is being sent to search for these two dogs. They also informed me of several calls from this area regarding the Huskys, so I and I'm sure everyone who has also lost a furry child, would like to thank everyone for helping out and taking matters into their own hand by calling and letting them know this is a serious issue! I know the dogs haven't been caught yet, but I'm sure 'Tritan' and 'Moe' would be purrfectly pleased to know that their neighbors are doing what they can to prevent anymore tragic losses of their furry friends. I just learned of this site yesterday from my neighbor and am pleased to know that the Bluff Park community can come together and help their neighbors...Thanks again to everyone!

At this point, I find it very difficult to feel sorry for the owner of these two Huskies.  Responsible, loving pet owners adhere to the laws and protect not only their own pets but also the pets of others.  If these two dogs had gotten out once or twice I could see it maybe being isolated incidents.  However, from what we can tell about the killings of all these cats, these two dogs have been roaming and killing for some weeks now.  

My son said they were aggressive to him (snarling, baring of teeth, and growling) but only when he got within 10 feet of them.  He stated that they "cowered" as he approached them until he got too close.  An animal that "cowers" before a human and then gets aggressive is usually a mis-treated animal.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #31 - 10/29/07 at 2:49pm

HURRAH!!!!  Officer Davis from Animal Control just left me a voicemail that he has "located the owner" of the two dogs.  He didn't leave any information as to what has or will be done, but it IS progress!!!  I've left him a message to call me back and that I will be by my phone until I hear from him.  I'll keep you all posted!

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #32 - 10/29/07 at 3:09pm

Well, it's a letdown, to say the least!  Officer Davis said he went to the home and the dogs were inside their fence.  He talked with the owner and explained what has been happening and told him the number of cats that have been killed.  He said the owner was "SOMEWHAT CONTRITE"!  Can you believe that??  "Somewhat contrite"!  Ten of our pets have been killed by this man's dogs and he is "somewhat contrite"!!  The owner said he is "trying to keep the dogs fenced in but they keep getting out".  Officer Davis told him that he was probably going to be hearing from a lot of his very angry neighbors!  However, he wasn't allowed to give me the owner's name!  But, my guess is that he lives at 527 or 531 Park Terrace or thereabouts based on my son and his neighbor tracking the dogs to that address.

Officer Davis couldn't take the dogs because they were inside the fence at that time.  He can only take them when they are out roaming the streets IF he can catch them.  I asked what recourse we have and here it is:

We (as many as will) have to go the the Police Department and file a "Viscious Dog Complaint".  The police department will issue a complaint number.  The complaint then has to be taken to the Magistrate where you have to file a deposition.  Only THEN, they can go take the dogs!

IP Logged
ellane
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #33 - 10/29/07 at 3:35pm

I live with hookemhorns, and just registered to this site to say "WHAT?!?!" Not only are there many loved pets in the neighborhood, but also many small children. I spoke with Officer Davis earlier this morning, and I'm very disappointed in what he told you. Hookemhorns and I, along with our neighbors will definitely be at the Police Station today!!! If these dogs "keep getting out" they will continue to "keep getting out." I'll be visiting Park Terrace when I get off work to see if I can find the dog's owner. And he/she WILL hear from at least one of his very angry neighbors.

Email   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #34 - 10/29/07 at 3:38pm

Y'all may be getting tired of so many posts from me in a row, but I'm doing my best to get this issue under control.  Here is the City of Hoover Ordinance regarding Viscious Dogs:

Sec. 4-19. Vicious animals.
It shall be unlawful for the owner or other person in charge thereof to harbor or keep in the city or the police jurisdiction thereof a vicious animal, unless the same is confined, muzzled and bound in such a manner as to prevent such animal from biting or attacking a person or other animal. It shall be prima facie evidence that an animal is a vicious animal if it shall bite or fiercely attack any person or any other animal, such person or other animal at the time of said biting or attack not being on the owner's premises.
(Ord. No. 82-343, § 4, 5-14-82; Ord. No. 88-695, 2-15-88)
State law references:  Personal injury caused by vicious animal, Code of Ala. 1975, § 3-1-3; liability of owners of animals biting or injuring persons, Code of Ala. 1975, § 3-6-1 et seq.  

Sec. 4-21. Running at large.
(a)   It shall be unlawful for the owner or person in charge of an animal except cats and fowl to cause or permit such animal to run at large or be upon a street, sidewalk, thoroughfare, property other than that of the owner of the animal, or public place within the city or its police jurisdiction, unless such animal is attached to a leash in the hands of said owner or person in charge of said animal.  
(b)   The owner of a dog, and any other person or persons in custody or control thereof, shall cause to be removed any solid body excretions deposited by said dog on any property not owned by or in possession of the dog owner or the person or persons in custody and control of said dog at the time of said deposit.
(Ord. No. 82-343, § 6, 5-14-82; Ord. No. 88-695, 2-15-88; Ord. No. 89-844, 11-20-89; Ord. No. 90-904, 6-18-90; Ord. No. 91-983, 1-7-91; Ord. No. 00-1748, 3-20-00)

Run at large  shall include all times and places when the animal is not confined, restrained or enclosed within a wall, fence which may include an electrified invisible fence or barrier or other enclosure on the premises of the owner or person in charge in such manner as to prevent effectively its escape, or is not attached to a leash in the hands of said owner or person in charge.  
(Ord. No. 82-343, § 1, 5-14-82; Ord. No. 88-695, 2-15-88; Ord. No. 90-977, 1-7-91; Ord. No. 00-1748, 3-20-00)

Sec. 4-24. Same--Release of animals generally.
(a)   The owner shall be entitled to resume possession of any impounded animal, except as provided in this section in the cases of fierce, dangerous or vicious animals

IP Logged
ellane
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #35 - 10/29/07 at 4:01pm

I just spoke to Officer Davis and he told me that whoever actually witnessed any of the attacks are the ones who can file the Vicious Dog Complaint at the Police Station. I know of 2 people who witnessed 2 separate attacks; if you know of anyone please tell them to come forward and file the complaint! Officer Davis also mentioned that anyone who lost a pet due to these dogs can pursue the owner by taking it to civil court. Just thought I'd pass the word along.

Email   IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 10/29/07 at 4:26pm

Thanks for all the good information on this issue.

So right, if they are getting out now they are STILL going to get out.  
I have a dog and I keep it in my backyard.... we had to do some work on our fence and plug some holes.... if we can do it so can this owner!

I am so sorry to all that have lost a pet in this issue. I was wondering, and it a bit off topic, if anyone would like to put together a Bluff Park Pets pic page for the community website. ITs a Heather's Corner idea. IF so send me your pics  and name and name of pet to heather@bluffparkal.org

IP Logged
hookemhorns
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #37 - 10/29/07 at 4:40pm

I think thats a great idea, since they are part of the Bluff Park community in their own way! I would like to add however that the owners DO NOT live on Park Terrace, my neighbor just informed me that the Huskys live on Bedford Ave and the owners just put up a privacy fence for them...i believe it's too little too late. Like i stated before, I do feel bad for the owners, because I would hate for any more pet owners to have to lose their companions, but on the other hand the dogs need to be stopped because they will continue to escape and we don't need to lose any more of our furry friends!

Email   IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #38 - 10/29/07 at 8:15pm

I was going to ask about who could file a complaint.  It sounds like I can't, since I have not witnessed an attack.  If the dogs live on Bedford, I understand the sighting on Brookline.  They are just backyards away.  But haven't the attacks been on or near Park?  Please continue to post any information.  
Addendum, I love the idea of pictures of Bluff Park pets.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 10/29/07 at 8:19pm

lost me straycatmom, I dont see anything thing you need to apologize for Smiley

IP Logged
straycatmom

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #40 - 10/29/07 at 8:45pm

PharmD's very on target reply to my comment - 'People are talking about pumpkins while this is happening?'.  I was upset and said something I even knew in the back of my mind was stupid when I said it.  Unfortunately, the back of my mind doesn't always catch up in time...

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #41 - 10/29/07 at 9:32pm

Quote from straycatmom on 10/29/07 at 8:15pm:
I was going to ask about who could file a complaint.  It sounds like I can't, since I have not witnessed an attack.  If the dogs live on Bedford, I understand the sighting on Brookline.  They are just backyards away.  But haven't the attacks been on or near Park?  Please continue to post any information.  
Addendum, I love the idea of pictures of Bluff Park pets.

The attack that prompted me to start this post was my son's cat being killed on Park Avenue.  The two cats that were killed the same week were also on Park.  I don't know the location of the other attacks, but these two dogs are roaming far and wide.  They are not staying in one vicinity.  My son tracked the two dogs to a home on Park Terrace late one night where it appeared they were comfortable...like being home.  Early one morning he tracked them down Rockview, right on Cloudland and then on down Rockview, which would be headed toward Bedford.  On the long part of Rockview is where he took the picture of one of the dogs.  Although Officer Davis didn't say he went to Park Terrace to talk to the owner, I got the impression that that is where he went after my phone call giving him that street name and the probable two house numbers.  

If the person on Bedford that built a large privacy fence owns these two dogs, then it is not working since the two dogs were spotted roaming on Brookline just this morning.  Officer Davis didn't tell me that the owner had built a large privacy fence in an effort to keep the dogs penned up, and I think he would have in order to try to relieve our fears.  In fact, the tone of his voice indicated that the owner is very complacent about it all, that he is "somewhat contrite" that his dogs are being accused of killing approximately ten of his neighbor's cats, and that he excused their behaviour by saying that he "tries" to keep them penned up but "they keep getting out".  

At any rate, Officer Davis knows who owns these dogs and where they live.  When he told me he couldn't give me the owner's name I asked how we would be able to file complaints not knowing it.  He said the police department would contact him for that information.  I certainly hope that the two people who witnessed the huskies killing the cats will file complaints for all of us since it seems only actual witnesses can file the complaints.  According to the law, an attack that just causes harm to another animal labels the dog as viscious.  The attack doesn't have to result in the death of the other animal so if anyone has witnessed ANY type of attack by these two huskies then they are eligible to file a complaint.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 10/29/07 at 11:14pm

Quote from straycatmom on 10/29/07 at 8:45pm:
PharmD's very on target reply to my comment - 'People are talking about pumpkins while this is happening?'. I was upset and said something I even knew in the back of my mind was stupid when I said it. Unfortunately, the back of my mind doesn't always catch up in time...

if you were referring to my story on pumpkin carving, I did not catch it reading through the first time. Dont worry about it, it happens.. that is what "modify" is for Smiley  

Just so you dont think I am insensitive to the issue I had been working and finding a pumpkin carver for about 2 weeks... before this thread started. Just happened to go live on the website at the same time as this issue was being talked about.

It is a little difficult for me right now about pets, over the last 6 months I have lost both my dogs and my rabbit to illness. My dogs were 16 and 17 years old one had kidney disease and one was deaf and blind, we had to have both of the put to sleep.. it was just horrible. Then a month or so ago my rabbit was diagnosed with a carcoma type cancer, it was out of the blue one day the tumor (and it was big) was just there. She died with us at about 2am. We called every emergency vet and ended up talking to a lady at the Auburn vet hospital after hours line, she was so nice and told us how to make my rabbit comfortable. She did not make it throughout the night but she died in peace and in no trauma and with her family. So as you can see I am very much a pet lover and really feel your fear and pain in this issue.. just difficult to talk about.  On a happy note, we adopted a puppy from the Shelby Humane Society Friday, she had been there for 5 months from newborn. I was not sure I was really emotionally ready for the adoption but she just kind of said "your taking me home" and so we did Smiley

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 10/30/07 at 5:19pm

BluffParkWriter I love the idea of including our pets on the website. This would also come in handy when someones pet goes missing! I will be emailing my pics this evening-great idea!!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #44 - 11/01/07 at 3:25pm

Quote from PharmD on 10/30/07 at 5:19pm:
BluffParkWriter I love the idea of including our pets on the website. This would also come in handy when someones pet goes missing! I will be emailing my pics this evening-great idea!!

FYI - The Bluff Park Information page on this site has had a section for Lost/Found Pets (or anything else for that matter) since our inception last year.  If you lose or find something, send an e-mail to info@bluffparkal.org and we'll post it on that page:  http://www.bluffparkal.org/information.htm .  There's no charge for this, just make sure you let us know when you don't need the announcement anymore.  

The fastest that a dog has been returned to an owner using the web site has been 1 Hour 45 minutes.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company