"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/01/24 at 11:47pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Businesses at Shades Mtn. Plaza (Read 20505 times)
fitgrl

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: New Businesses at Shades Mtn. Plaza
Reply #15 - 11/15/07 at 9:47am

I would LLOOVVEE to see a mexican restaurant in the Plaza.  My second choice is definitely a coffee place.  When MoonBreaks was in the Plaza it was great!  I was sad to see them go.  I would much rather see a food/beverage place go in the Plaza than another store.   Wink

IP Logged
ShadesCrestDweller
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 11/17/07 at 9:59am

I would love to see the area get more businesses. I would like to see my money go to supporting the neighborhood! With that said and seeing that people would like to have a bakery/coffee shop it hurts my heart to know we had a great bakery up in the same shopping center as the hardware store but it was run out/burned out of business. These business owners have had a successful bakery business elsewhere in Birmingham for over 20 years. Some of the people of BP did not make them feel welcome. What is wrong with our community when it feels it's neccessary to dictate the personal choices and life styles of others!

IP Logged
ronsu
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #17 - 02/07/08 at 5:46am

Has any interest been expressed by Bakers to expand into the old dry cleaners space?  A drive thru pickup and seating would be perfect.  When we are in the mood for pizza out, we have to go down the mtn to eat at Salvatores, Tortugas or Sanpeggios.  Bakers food is great, but not accessible for eat in.

IP Logged
ShadesMtnPlaza
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 02/08/08 at 3:19pm

Yes. Actually, we met yesterday to have a very light discussion about the possibility of Baker taking over the vacant end cap to add in-house dining, wine & beer service, some TVs and maybe some outside patio seating under the awning. Is all very preliminary , but, its a start.  
I think any encouragement/comments to Baker would help him feel confident that the neighboorhood would support the concept.

IP Logged
Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #19 - 02/08/08 at 8:49pm

That would be awesome!  I would think they would pack it out!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #20 - 02/08/08 at 11:56pm

I think it would be a very good idea and my family and friends would support it 100%. I get tired of having to drive down the mountain to go to a cool place to hang out during week day nights and the weekend.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Guy

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 02/09/08 at 12:07am

ShadesCrestDweller-

What are your issues with the old bakery that was up on the bluff next to Bert's? Was it owned by some gay guys that people had issues with? Is this why you feel they were burned out? I'm not being a smart @ss, I'm just curious. Thanks

IP Logged
Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 02/09/08 at 4:23pm

It was owned by Carole of Continental Bakery fame.  You could bring your own wine in and pay a corkage fee.  I hate that it burned.

IP Logged
rlfbhm
YaBB Newbies

BP since '79

Reply #23 - 03/14/08 at 11:52am

We need to keep this post going to encourage the owners of the plaza as well as potential businesses to revitalize this area.  Think about how convenient it is to hop in your car and pick something up at The Pig.  Imagine if you could do that for a cup of coffee with friends, dinner or a Saturday afternoon football game, etc.  

I would love to see coffee shop and restaurant whether it be mexican or sports bar type.  

I would also love to see Baker's expand as one of the other posts suggests.

I don't know why the bakery did not succeed, but it seems it would do well with all the weddings at BPUMC and kids birthdays.  Not to mention family gathering around holidays.  

Another business that could do well in the plaza is something along the lines of Smith Variety Shop.  If anyone has ever been in that place, the will agree they have exactly what they advertise in the name - variety.  They are similar to and old five & dime with everything from sunglasses to candy to stationary to toys.  If could be very good for the area, but it would have to be someone wanting to encompass a bunch of different quality products under one roof.

There is discussion about the day care center hindering alcohol sales because of proximity.  Could business agree not to sell alcohol till after a certain time on weekdays?  Wouldn't that be the compromise that makes sense?

This is just my two cents but if you live in BP and want the neighborhood to improve, please post things you would like to see.  I don't want to sound corny, but a neighborhood is not the location - its the residents pride and proactive attitudes towards the community they live in.  There are suburbs in cities with terrible traffic and high taxes but people still empty their bank accounts and sell their souls to live there.  Why? Because at some point the residents of the nieghborhood took pride in changing it for the better.  BP has very little traffic in comparison to most areas and not much room to expand the housing (which is good).  Again, add your opinions.  Businesses have to know they will be supported.  The better the support, the better the quality of businesses.

RLFBHM

RLFBHM
  IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #24 - 03/14/08 at 2:07pm

Great post, rlfbhm.

When thinking about a place for up there, one has to think about places that we live Bluff Park to go to and why.  We like going up to Buffalo Wild Wings for both the food and the atmosphere, so I guess that would be classified as a sports bar.  Unlike a sports bar, though, BWW seems to have been designed with both families and adults w/o kids in mind, with a "wall" or barrier between the "section that serves adult beverages" and the "section for those that may need a high chair or two".   What's great is that neither side seems to bother the other.  Add to that the ability to get free wi-fi, great food and entertainment (TVs everywhere) and it makes for a fun evening.  With the price of gas going up and up and up, it would be even more fun if it was in Bluff Park.  

I think your suggestion about the alcohol is a very good and reasonable one.

Regarding on why the bakery didn't make it, I think I have a simple answer.  We've lived in Bluff Park for over 13 years and I didn't know there was ever a bakery in Bluff Park.  Getting the word out probably wouldn't have hurt.

And I'm also on board with the coffee shop idea.  

Finally, I agree, keep this thread going and let potential business people know what we want.

IP Logged
Mrs. B

Reply #25 - 03/15/08 at 8:38am

I thought that a liquor license was out of the question due to proximity of a church and day care. I was told that was why the State ABC store had to move.

If they can work out that issue, I think the Baker's would have more business than it could handle.

IP Logged
rlfbhm
YaBB Newbies

BP since '79

Reply #26 - 03/15/08 at 3:16pm

I can understand a liquor license, but what about beer and wine?  Are the licenses the same?  I'm sure Baker's knows about it more than we do.

RLFBHM
  IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #27 - 03/23/08 at 8:41pm

I wonder if beer and wine could be served when the day care is not opened, if that is the case.  Thats when people would typically want to be served that anyhow.

IP Logged
Harold
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #28 - 04/16/08 at 11:26am

Some type of bar and grill, a mexican restaurant, a fresh seafood house,one of the new Baskin Robbins franchises they're bring back,a bank branch or credit union.

IP Logged
galaxiegrace

40 Years in BP &
Counting...

Reply #29 - 06/16/08 at 4:38pm

We need Bert's on the Bluff back!  I miss their apples!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company