"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 1:47pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
dump trucks on Rockland (Read 28153 times)
mtmama
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

dump trucks on Rockland
06/16/08 at 9:05pm

Does anyone know what is going on with the last house as you go down the hill on Rockland. There are dump trucks and noise coming from the back yard all day.

IP Logged
galaxiegrace

40 Years in BP &
Counting...

Re: dump trucks on Rockland
Reply #1 - 06/17/08 at 1:13pm

I noticed that the other day as well... I figured they were adding on or building a pool or something.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/17/08 at 10:44pm

what part of Rockland? going up to Shades Crest or Down toward the pool?
THere is a lot of construction going on at Shades Crest Baptists Church might have something to do with that... I think that is Rockland that runs on th side of it right?

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #3 - 06/17/08 at 10:57pm

Quote from BluffParkwriter on 06/17/08 at 10:44pm:
what part of Rockland? going up to Shades Crest or Down toward the pool?
THere is a lot of construction going on at Shades Crest Baptists Church might have something to do with that... I think that is Rockland that runs on th side of it right?

You're thinking of Rockview, not Rockland.  Rockland is directly across the street from the church, about 1/2 mile from Rockview.  We have too many streets that have similar sounding names.

The dump trucks are coming from the house near Rushmore.  The house is on a HUGE lot and they have lots of room to build, which is probably what they're doing.

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/17/08 at 11:03pm

ah my bad Smiley Yeah and some streets just change names right in the middle.. dont even tell you Smiley

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #5 - 06/18/08 at 11:44am

Permit says - Bring in fill dirt for back yard.   Building Inspector is to go and see if anything looks fishy.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #6 - 06/20/08 at 12:39pm

Is it me or Bluff park turning into Little Tijuana?  

I have lived in Bluff Park eight years and I have recently noticed that there are various homes in our neighborhood that are overcrowded (2-3 families living in one home).  It seems to be mostly emigrant families that run construction companies out of their homes.  The homes that I can think of are located on Alford (newer 2 story brick with 10+ cars in the driveway, two more as you go towards Francher), the two story home on Rockland Drive with a tractor trailer storage unit in the backyard, and the one on Park Ave 3-4 houses down from the school that has huge dump trucks in the backyard.  

Has anyone else noticed this??  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #7 - 06/21/08 at 9:21am

Quote from Forolemiss on 06/20/08 at 12:39pm:
Is it me or Bluff park turning into Little Tijuana?  

I have lived in Bluff Park eight years and I have recently noticed that there are various homes in our neighborhood that are overcrowded (2-3 families living in one home).  It seems to be mostly emigrant families that run construction companies out of their homes.  The homes that I can think of are located on Alford (newer 2 story brick with 10+ cars in the driveway, two more as you go towards Francher), the two story home on Rockland Drive with a tractor trailer storage unit in the backyard, and the one on Park Ave 3-4 houses down from the school that has huge dump trucks in the backyard.

Has anyone else noticed this??

The Alford home is college students.  The Rockland home is a $650K house (1 family, children attends local schools) that lives within code (no parked construction vehicles in the open) and I don't know about the Park Ave. house.

As an immigrant myself, I question the post (been here 30+ years, learned to speak English, blended into the community).  Clarify a couple of things.  Are you upset that that someone is running a company out of their home?  That they are running a construction company out of their home?  That they are immigrants?  That they have more than one family living in the home?  

Hoover's residency law of 2 adults per bedroom was shot down either last year or this year, if I'm not mistaken, due to some civil rights violation, so it can't be enforced anymore.  

I'm with you on a lot of the points that you are making, but we need to make sure that we treat everyone equally in order to have a shot at changing anything.  

When the governor sent his commission around the state earlier this year to study the (illegal) immigration issue, one of the stops was in Hoover at the library.  I was there, along with 250+ other people.  Many spoke for and against the immigration issue.  I learned a lot of things that evening,  things that were very surprising to me.

As someone who came from another country to this one (legally) one of the first things I wanted to do was to blend in, assimilate, become part of my adopted country.  Before we moved to the US, we lived for five years in Mexico, two years in Spain and before that in Germany.  My brother and I only spoke German (our native tongue) and Spanish.  I was fluent in English in 6 months.  My brother, five years younger, took only 1 month.  It wasn't easy, but it was either sink or swim.  We chose swim.

Today's immigrant (from a Latin American country) doesn't face the challenge we faced.  If he/she doesn't learn English, so what?  All they have to do is press 2 when calling somewhere and they get a Spanish speaking person.  Instructions too complicated in English?  Flip the box around and there it is in Spanish.  Can't read the menu at McDonald' in English?  Look to the right, there it is in Spanish.  Can't understand the lady at the driver's license office?  Wait a minute, we'll get someone to translate for you.  

The point is simple.  American businesses have made it so that the immigrants DON'T HAVE TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE.  Don't blame the immigrants.  If you were in their shoes, you might take the path of least resistance also.  After all, why bother learning English when you don't have to?  You're not going to be here that long anyway.

The problem we face is that we have become too reliant on the immigrant workers.  There were some farmers at the governor's conference who complained that they couldn't get any Americans to apply for the farming jobs, only immigrants.  And they stated that they didn't hire any that didn't have the proper paperwork.

Who do I blame for all this?  Number 1:  Businesses.  Businesses have taken the approach that they want to make a buck over the approach that we should all speak a common language.  If I can avoid it, I will not patronize a business that offers their services in two languages (which is ironic because I can speak both fluently).  Number 2:  American workers who don't want to take the non-skilled jobs that the immigrants will take gladly.  Some would rather draw unemployment than go work in the fields.  Number 3:  Government.  Take a stand and make English the official language of the country.  It was for over 200 years and now it is becoming a bi-lingual country.  That's just very wrong.

I'm willing to bet that we wouldn't have half the problems on a personal basis with some of the immigrants if they blended in with society.  Your post regarding the construction companies pointed out that they were of an immigrant nature.  I bet there's more American construction companies here than immigrant ones.  

Finally, I'm not attacking your post, I'm just pointing out that we need to accept some of the blame ourselves since we've allowed it to get this way and until we change it, we will have to accept it.  How do we change it?  Perhaps elect some leaders who are willing to change it.  But as long as there are strong lobbies that support those that won't, this will not happen.

Maybe the next council will vote to make English the official language of Hoover?

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #8 - 06/24/08 at 11:20am

The house on Rockland HAS A TRACTOR TRAILER IN THE BACK YARD WITH NO WHEELS ON IT!!!!! They run a construction company out of their house which is illegal and I bet they have more than one family living in the that house.  Come on, you don't think that runs down the property values??  

I don't give a rat's @#$ what color their (or your ) skin is.  I just don't want this this community to suffer and my home value go down.  I can't even take friends to lunch at Mr. P's without them making some comment all the cars around the house on Alford.  

Is it "being hateful" to point out who is junking up our neighborhood.  Sorry I am not PC. Verstehen?

IP Logged
BluffParkwriter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/24/08 at 2:37pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 06/24/08 at 11:20am:
The house on Rockland HAS A TRACTOR TRAILER IN THE BACK YARD WITH NO WHEELS ON IT!!!!! They run a construction company out of their house which is illegal and I bet they have more than one family living in the that house. Come on, you don't think that runs down the property values??

if you think the house on Rockland is in violation of the code than you need to go down the Valleydale and file a written complaint. Unfortunately that is how you have to do it under the law right now. Make sure you have the house number.

Yes I think it does hurt property values a little when there are a lot of people living in one house, but if they are not breaking the law, there is nothing the law can do about it. The housing code would have to be changed to effect it that way... now the fire code... they may be breaking that.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #10 - 06/24/08 at 5:29pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 06/24/08 at 11:20am:
The house on Rockland HAS A TRACTOR TRAILER IN THE BACK YARD WITH NO WHEELS ON IT!!!!! They run a construction company out of their house which is illegal and I bet they have more than one family living in the that house.  Come on, you don't think that runs down the property values??  

I don't give a rat's @#$ what color their (or your ) skin is.  I just don't want this this community to suffer and my home value go down.  I can't even take friends to lunch at Mr. P's without them making some comment all the cars around the house on Alford.  

Is it "being hateful" to point out who is junking up our neighborhood.  Sorry I am not PC. Verstehen?

Ich verstehe.  Actually that house is raising your property value due to its value.  And the people that live there could probably buy and sell the rest of us many times over.  They've worked hard for what they have and are reaping the rewards.  I walk past the house every day and it really doesn't bother me too much.  It's nice to live in a neighborhood that has $500K+ homes in it.  Wish mine was worth that much.

Regarding the second paragraph of your comment, I'm sorry your friends don't have better things to talk about than how many cars are in someone's driveway.  I've noticed all the cars are parked in a very orderly manner and I've never seen the house, or the cars, to be in disaray.

Regarding the PC portion - this forum happens to be PC.  This is not the Hoover forum on al.com where insulting people is the order of the land.  This is not the hooverforum.com.  This is the Bluff Park forum.  It is designed for members of the community to solve problems and come together on issues, not to attack one another.  We've solved many issues here by being logical, patient, understanding and proactive.  If you have an issue with a particular house that you feel is not meeting City of Hoover code, get a complaint going.  Let the process take its course.  The laws, codes and rules are there for a reason, but we have to work within the system to get things changed.  And if we don't like the system, we bring it to the attention of one of the council members who has the power to change the system.  So far I have yet to meet one of the council members who's not willing to listen to a problem we have, and try to fix it.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 1:17pm

Bluffparkwriter,

Actually the house went on the market about a year ago for $425K and it didn’t sell because the interior was pretty ragged and the back yard looked like an industrial wasteland complete with the Schneider trailer.  Ask anybody on Rockland.  

Let me ask the Forum if they have ever heard of a thing called the Broken Window Theory, which basically states that a community's problems often start out singular in nature but left unchecked will multiple and cause the neighborhood to slowly spiral downward.  Just because it is not on your street doesn't mean it is not your problem.

The over crowded houses really don’t seem like a problem now but they are slowly multiplying around BP.  First you have some on Alford, then on Rockland, then on Park Ave and the next thing you know people won’t want to live in Bluff Park.  Then it basically it becomes Lorna Road.  Sound s a little Dooms Dayish but there is a reason that people moved out of Bessemer and Huffman.  

The Broken Window Theory is much like an old country saying that my Uncle used to use about apathy, The Frog in a Boiling Pot Theory.  If you throw a frog in a boiling pot of water he will jump out, but if you put him in a pot of luke warm water and turn up the heat he will stay in the pot and die.  

I know I may sound like a squeaky wheel and an angry guy, but what you see as not so bad and “not a problem”, I see as a trend.  

Something off the Internet on the Broken Window Theory.

Little Things Lead to Big Things

The germ of the idea is simple and compelling. A broken window--or a littered sidewalk, graffiti,--does not do great harm to a neighborhood if promptly addressed. But left untended, it sends a signal: that no one cares about this neighborhood, that it is a safe place to break things, to litter, to vandalize. Those who engage in such behaviors will feel safe here. And once they have become well established, perhaps it will seem a safe enough neighborhood in which to be openly drunk, in which to beg for money, and possibly extort it. In short the smallest symptoms of antisocial behavior will, left to fester, breed greater and greater crimes.  

This is the theory famously expounded by James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling in an article entitled Broken Windows: The Police and Neighborhood Safety, which appeared in Atlantic Monthly in March 1982. They make the consequences of small-scale neglect very clear and very direct:  
A piece of property is abandoned, weeds grow up, a window is smashed. Adults stop scolding rowdy children; the children, emboldened, become more rowdy. Families move out, unattached adults move in. Teenagers gather in front of the corner store. The merchant asks them to move; they refuse. Fights occur. Litter accumulates. People start drinking in front of the grocery; in time, an inebriate slumps to the sidewalk and is allowed to sleep it off. Pedestrians are approached by panhandlers. The broken window sends a signal to certain elements that crime is safe because nobody cares, and soon it builds up to all sorts of crime.  

IP Logged
PharmD
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/26/08 at 5:06pm

I agree to some extent with ForOleMiss. While I am not originally from Alabama, I see exactly what you mean when I think about how at some point years ago, ensley and fairfield were the places to be, before hoover and highway 280 was so developed. OFten I travel to downtown Bessemer for work and downtown where my husband works, and I just wonder what it was like in these areas years ago. My husband can remember when Highway 280 was a two lane road.  At some point all the run down areas of Bham that we see on the news every night, used to be vibrant communities.  I really hope Bluff Park is not going to be thought of, like these other areas are, as "seen better days" in 20 years.  I agree, prevention is the key.

Any thoughts on trying to get some of our council members to hold a town hall meeting at the BP community center to discuss these and other concerns as a group?

IP Logged
sweethome2
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/08 at 6:23pm

I would like to add that as long as Bluff Park Elementary is in business we will be all right.  This is a wonderful school with great teachers that has a great pull to bring people in.  I think most people in Bluff Park are good people.  Everyone has a bad apple here and there.

IP Logged
stumpy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #14 - 06/26/08 at 7:26pm

I find it interesting no one has mentioned the real issue. This problem originates on Lorna Rd. If you want the housing problem fixed this should be the starting point. However each time our city tries to clean up Lorna Rd and/or change the housing laws the city get sued. We should all be happy Park Ave or Alford Ave does not look like Lorna Rd. If yall want a starting point to fix this problem its need to be Lorna Rd and not handfull of houses here in Bluff Park.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company