"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/05/24 at 8:00pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Road Closure - Valley Street (Read 63373 times)
ane3030
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Road Closure - Valley Street
Reply #60 - 02/07/11 at 9:56pm

Yes the people that cut through the road closure in the AM really back things up on the detour down Shady Brook Ln., people just waving at each other trying to figure out who goes next at that intersection.

Who is the genius that posted a yield sign on the back of the road closure, who exactly are they supposed to yield to, the people sitting at the STOP sign?? As far as I know, yielding trumps Stop so yes they can blow right by and cause an accident. OK, so someone spray painted stop on the back, which is it, yield, stop both?? I'd like to know why Hoover PD doesn't care about this problem.

And yes, beyond 6:30 at night I go through the road closure because i've almost been hit twice turning left from shades crest onto valley. That is the WORST designed intersection i have ever seen... with two people waiting to turn left, they just sit there until someone guns it. Problem is, with glaring headlights, sometimes you can't see well who has gunned it and Wham!  What I do now is just pull up and pretend like i am going straight so they don't pull left down the mountain and hit me, and last second put on my left turn blinker and try to make it through with my life.

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #61 - 02/09/11 at 1:01pm

Hurrah.  Maybe some progress.  Crews putting up traffic lights around noon today at the intersection where Fancher & Tyler meet.  Now if they will just put them into operation and open the road instead of letting them just hang there for several more months with the barricades still up.

Haven't seen any HPD stopping "cut-throughs" when I've been out and about, so we're still the red-headed stepchild area of Hoover getting ignored about our traffic concerns.

IP Logged
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #62 - 02/10/11 at 6:31pm

OPEN THE ROAD ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #63 - 02/11/11 at 8:26am

Heard on Fox6News last night that work is stopped on Alford Avenue/Valley Street "because of weather".   Work stopped LONG before it got so cold, so I guess "any" type of weather is a reaon for the contractor to just shut down!

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #64 - 02/11/11 at 10:59am

We received this e-mail a few minutes ago:

I just spoke with Adriana Dunn with ALDOT.  She says that ALDOT is overseeing the project from a safety standpoint but that it is actually City of Hoover's project, not ALDOT's.  She said the contractor was given 275 working days to complete the project.  Holidays, weekends and bad weather do not count in the total number of days allowed.  Thus far he has used 180 days.  She said that a large part of the delay on the project is due to temps being too low to lay the last layer of asphalt.  She claims that Dunn Construction will come next week, IF temps stay in the upper 50's-60's, to finish the last layer.  After that they will lay down temporary striping and re-open the road.  The project is not complete though.  Alabama Power located the signal controls at the wrong location and they must be relocated.  Once they finally show up and finish that, the road will be closed again to complete the signal work.  They plan to use stop signs in the meantime to get the roads re-opened.  She sounded very reasonable, but I'm sure there will still be delays, delays and more delays.  

Here is her info if you would like to contact her yourself.

Adriana L. Dunn  
County Transportation Manager
Alabama Department of Transportation
Birmingham- Third Division
T.(205)581-5904
dunna@dot.state.al.us

So there you have it.  Thanks, BB, for the e-mail.  Great information.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
irrigator
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #65 - 02/11/11 at 11:00pm

"Alabama Power located the signal controls at the wrong location and they must be relocated"  Great use of tax payers money, they can't read a set of plans?  I wonder if Alabama Power will submit a "change order" and get paid for the relocation or will they move them on their own dime?

IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #66 - 02/14/11 at 1:13am

Does anyone know if there will be traffic lights at the intersection of Valley & Fancher at the cemetery/Catholic church/Primerica?  There is a covered up "Yield" sign at the Catholic church meaning anyone coming from Bluff Park UMC to turn right onto Fancher will have to yield to left-turners coming off of Shades Crest.  This has always been a traffic jam area in morning rush hour with left-turners having to sit and wait for someone to let them turn.  If right-turners have to yield to left-turners, and if the traffic lights going up at Fancher/Tyler aren't synced just right, traffic on Valley is going to now back up in the other direction.  What about people coming off Fancher to turn left onto Valley?  When do they get to turn?  This should at least be a 3-way stop intersection if there aren't going to be any traffic lights there.    

This whole road "improvement" has seemed to be a joke on "we the people" for quite a while.  I'll be the first to praise it IF it actually works and traffic flows better, but something just doesn't feel right about how it's been planned out "on paper".

« Last Edit: 02/14/11 at 6:39am by Recap »  
  IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #67 - 02/18/11 at 9:18am

Complete cluster last night.  Fancher was completely barricaded coming from Alford (which is what should have happened the entire time), and the people who had been illegally cutting through for months didn't know what to do.  This was after 6PM, so I can't imagine what it was like in the earlir period of rush hour.  This morning, the barrells were removed, so maybe people can get back to breaking the law today.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #68 - 02/18/11 at 2:03pm

Quote from ht2 on 02/18/11 at 9:18am:
Complete cluster last night.  Fancher was completely barricaded coming from Alford (which is what should have happened the entire time), and the people who had been illegally cutting through for months didn't know what to do.  This was after 6PM, so I can't imagine what it was like in the earlir period of rush hour.  This morning, the barrells were removed, so maybe people can get back to breaking the law today.

Great post.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #69 - 02/18/11 at 2:13pm

We just received an e-mail from Councilman Gene Smith with an update on the road.

Mr. Smith spoke to Rod Long, the City Engineer, who advised him that the road was scheduled to open next week.  However, Alabama Dept. of Transportation wants to place the new lights on blink for 7 days prior to opening the road (Note: At 12:45 pm 2/18/11 they were blinking).  ALDOT normally requires this when new signalization occurs at existing intersections.  He's hoping that the road will open sometime around Feb. 28.

We were informed today that if a vehicle travels that road while it's closed their insurance company will not cover the accident (we're not insurance experts, so we don't know if that's correct), so be very careful while travelling in that area.  We've almost been hit twice so far from people cutting through there and thinking they have some sort of right-of-way as they come out.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
BPLifer 2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #70 - 02/21/11 at 6:46pm

Noticed today that they also have new lights (although they are covered right now) at the Shades Crest/Valley intersection.  Hopefully that place won't be a death trap anymore!

WWW   IP Logged
ht2

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #71 - 02/22/11 at 2:27pm

Quote from BPLifer 2 on 02/21/11 at 6:46pm:
Noticed today that they also have new lights (although they are covered right now) at the Shades Crest/Valley intersection.  Hopefully that place won't be a death trap anymore!

Did the same person design the Shades Crest/Valley and Fancher/Tyler intersections?  They seem really poorly thought-out.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #72 - 02/22/11 at 6:23pm

Road is open for traffic.  Drove on it for the first time.  Traffic lights were still flashing.

Finally.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Recap

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #73 - 02/22/11 at 8:11pm

Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 02/22/11 at 6:23pm:
Road is open for traffic.  Drove on it for the first time.  Traffic lights were still flashing.

Finally.

When I came Alford at 4:00 the Fancher end didn't have barricades but I went the detour route anyway because I could see orange and white barrels in the street near the traffic lights.  Lots of people did the same as me, but lots of people went straight onto Fancher.  When I got around to Valley there were barricades in place but not totally blocking the intersection.  I guess I'll see if those barricades are gone in the morning.  I sure don't want to get a ticket for driving on the road "too soon".

IP Logged
ponder
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #74 - 02/23/11 at 9:20am

Quote from Recap on 02/22/11 at 8:11pm:
Quote from Bluff Park Forum Admin on 02/22/11 at 6:23pm:

Finally.

When I came Alford at 4:00 the Fancher end didn't have barricades but I went the detour route anyway because I could see orange and white barrels in the street near the traffic lights.  Lots of people did the same as me, but lots of people went straight onto Fancher.  When I got around to Valley there were barricades in place but not totally blocking the intersection.  I guess I'll see if those barricades are gone in the morning.  I sure don't want to get a ticket for driving on the road "too soon".

I did the same thing yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if the road was completely open or not, so I took the detour. It looks like the barricades are only blocking the center median down by Valley St. I came down Valley St. this morning, and other cars were taking the new road, so I followed them. I still don't understand the yield sign coming off of Valley, but I assume the road is open until they put the road blocks back up to finish the traffic lights?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company