"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/17/24 at 10:18am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Local Maroon Jeep (Read 27291 times)
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Local Maroon Jeep
Reply #15 - 02/09/10 at 7:53am

Not to get too dramatic here but when is Mayor Petelos up for re-election?  Maybe someone should bring this to his attention.  Nothing creates action like a politician in fear of losing votes.  Anyone have his email address?  I do feel like BP is only given lip service.  I know a lot of people like harvardmba who love BP but whose days here are numbered if things don't turn around.  If the HPD thinks we are annoying, just let them see who moves in when we are gone.  Anone been down Lorna Road lately?  Seen what happened to Centerpoint?  At one time Centerpoint was a nice place to live.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #16 - 02/09/10 at 8:47am

Quote from fl350 on 02/09/10 at 7:53am:
Not to get too dramatic here but when is Mayor Petelos up for re-election?  Maybe someone should bring this to his attention.  Nothing creates action like a politician in fear of losing votes.  Anyone have his email address?  I do feel like BP is only given lip service.  I know a lot of people like harvardmba who love BP but whose days here are numbered if things don't turn around.  If the HPD thinks we are annoying, just let them see who moves in when we are gone.  Anone been down Lorna Road lately?  Seen what happened to Centerpoint?  At one time Centerpoint was a nice place to live.

The mayor and the remainder of the city council's terms expire in 2012.  The last election was in 2008.  The mayor and all council members, with the exception of Mike Natter who decided to not seek re-election, ran unopposed.  Running unopposed means one of two things.  First, that nobody felt worthy enough to believe that they could beat the incumbent.  Or, second, that everyone felt that the current council members and the mayor were doing a decent job and didn't need to be replaced.

I'm leaning towards the latter.  That having been said, we have a situation here that merits futher action on both the part of the Hoover PD and, if it remains unresolved, on the part of the mayor's office.  It is my understanding that both are now aware of what is going on and we should hear something soon.

As far as the comparison between Bluff Park and Lorna Road and Center Point, there really is none.  Each has its own demographic makeup and making insinuations is out of line.

The facts are as follows:  there is a youth who drives in a careless manner in Bluff Park.  Newsflash, people:  the majority of you drive like Bluff Park is your own personal driveway.  90% of you don't have the concept of what a stop sign is.  50% of you drive faster than the posted speed limit.  Bluff Parkians make their own driving rules as they go along.  It's a fact.  If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you by making a list of the people (by tag number) who don't observe traffic signs and posted speed limits.  Yes, based on the posts this kid goes above and beyond when it comes to careless driving.  Yes, he needs to be stopped.  Yes, his parents need to be make accountable for his actions.  But don't think he's the Lone Ranger out there.  That person that stares back at you in the mirror likes to make his/her own driving rules sometimes also.

Making threats against the HPD and council/mayor is out of line.  Giving them a chance to fix it is not.

IP Logged
Dmliddy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #17 - 02/09/10 at 9:12am

I can certainly understand the frustration of people who feel like the HPD is unresponsive.

I mentioned this in the "reporting traffic violations" thread, and I am re-mentioning it here.

I live near the intersection of Chapel Rd and Shades Crest Rd.  I moved here in early fall, and since then I've noticed someone who, at around 5am, stops at the stop sign at this intersection, and then honks their horn as they drive past our home.  And I'm not talking a short beep.  It's "HO-two-three-four-NK."  It's not everyday, but it's once or twice a week.  In December, after it had gone on for two months or so, I started keeping a log.

It's the same car every time- A silver Jeep Grand Cherokee- License plate # 1B21D62

I know this because I finally got up at 4:45 one morning and followed them as they sped all the way down Shades Crest to Alford Ave.

I emailed Officer Foreman- no response.  I posted it in the reporting traffic violations thread and an administrator said I should be hearing from someone (and thank you for listening!  I'm not being sarcastic here) but I've not heard from anyone.  Yesterday morning when it happened again I called the HPD and they basically blew me off.  The dispatcher asked me if "I wanted them to keep an eye out?"  

No, I want you to find the person and ask them to quit, because apparently they're obsessed enough to keep doing it from October to February.  You have a big 'ole database with everyone's registration in it.  I guess I could pay the 80$ fee to have it looked up online, or I could get up at 4:45 am again and follow this person to their work and ask them there, but frankly, anyone who's willing to harass random strangers for four months is not someone I want to contact personally.

I am frustrated, and I don't feel like the HPD gives two craps about it.  If it continues, I guess I'll pay 80$, find out their address, and start riding by their home at midnight, honking all the way.  But I won't do that, because I have some standard of decency.

I'm sorry to rant here.  Thanks, again, for listening.  From now on I guess instead of keeping a log I'll call the HPD every single morning it happens.

IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #18 - 02/09/10 at 9:12am

No one made a threat against the Mayor or the HPD.  Voting against someone isn't a threat it is a right.

This was not intended to become a bash session.  I support our police force and I know they have a thankless job at times.  To me, this issue is just a symptom of a larger issue.  We have all made suggestions and complaints to the city and to HPD and it appears to get us nowhere.  I would have been happy if someone from the HPD or the city had just written a short note on this thread indicating that the concerns had been heard and that they were looking into the issue.  I doubt the thread would have gone any further.  Instead, we hear nothing and assume this is just more of the same.  We all just want to know that someone is listening.

IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - 02/09/10 at 9:59am

Quote from fl350 on 02/09/10 at 9:12am:
No one made a threat against the Mayor or the HPD.  Voting against someone isn't a threat it is a right.

This was not intended to become a bash session.  I support our police force and I know they have a thankless job at times.  To me, this issue is just a symptom of a larger issue.  We have all made suggestions and complaints to the city and to HPD and it appears to get us nowhere.  I would have been happy if someone from the HPD or the city had just written a short note on this thread indicating that the concerns had been heard and that they were looking into the issue.  I doubt the thread would have gone any further.  Instead, we hear nothing and assume this is just more of the same.  We all just want to know that someone is listening.

You are correct and this is my fault.

I did hear back from Capt. Coker who advised me that he was looking into it and would get back to me soon.  That was yesterday.  I should have posted that on the forum and I did not.  I apologize for that.

I will post as soon as I have an update from Capt. Coker.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
BPDad
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park is great!

Reply #20 - 02/09/10 at 10:52am

I did not make threats against HPD or the council. I merely stated that HPD would not like how I dealt  with the idiot with no muffler.  I'm sorry if I get upset when I see an officer at a speed trap only to go home and see people running the same stop signs on my street. Hey HPD, I got a news flash for you. There other stop signs besides the one at Chapel and Brookline. People speed on other road besides Alford, Chapel, Sanders, and Clearview. The only thing the BS speed traps help is the Hoover general fund. Yes, it would be nice to atleast acknowledge us when we email about an issue and don't blow us off when we call. You would think that by having the sergeant of the traffic division living in our neighborhood we could get some action. People blow the stops signs at both ends of his street. I guess if he doesn't care the rest of the HPD shouldn't either.

IP Logged
harvardmba

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #21 - 02/09/10 at 1:49pm

I would be very interested to find out what statistics are available on Police coverage per area/ population. I'm going to step out and say that Bluff Park probably has less than any other beat. If anyone knows the rate, please let us know. We deserve as good as any other section of Hoover and we should keep some form of pressure on city hall to respond to our concerns. Anything less should be considered as unacceptable.

Email   IP Logged
nickel4al

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #22 - 02/09/10 at 2:19pm

I always see officers up near our area and around the Pig, and going down Clearview and Maiden and even on Chapel.  There are way too many streets for officers to go to and sit at random ones all the time.  I am pretty sure you can file a complaint against the driver yourself if you go down to the court...I think its called a citizens complaint.  Someone did it one time to a friend of mine in Irondale.  Not for sure about this, but might be worth checking into.

stangviperred   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #23 - 02/09/10 at 2:37pm

Quote from harvardmba on 02/09/10 at 1:49pm:
I would be very interested to find out what statistics are available on Police coverage per area/ population. I'm going to step out and say that Bluff Park probably has less than any other beat. If anyone knows the rate, please let us know. We deserve as good as any other section of Hoover and we should keep some form of pressure on city hall to respond to our concerns. Anything less should be considered as unacceptable.

I think that I have an answer to your question.

First, some history.  This site was created back in August of 2006 based on the fact that we residents of Bluff Park felt that we did not have adequate police presence in our part of Hoover.  We came together as a (large) group and requested from city leaders that something be done about it.  You may follow the entire history of this by reading all of the Neighborhood Updates section beginning in August 2006 (bottom of page) and the About and Contact section of the BluffParkAl.org site.

After two (large) meetings that involved all but one of the city council members (Mr. Natter was unable to attend either meeting), many members of the Hoover PD, including all of the administrators, and many city officials, a sub-station was opened on December 7, 2006.  This made it possible for an officer to stay closer to Bluff Park when he or she needs to write a report, etc.

Although this satisfied one of the things we were asking for, another was the actual police zone that Bluff Park sits in.  We are in "30 Beat", which spans from Hwy. 31 starting at Tyler Road to Patton Chapel Road to Shades Crest Road, down to Sulphur Springs Road in one direction and  back to Tyler Road in the other, and everything in between.  Pretty big area for one officer.  There is a backup officer who floats between two zones, plus the traffic officers.  In the middle of the day it can take quite some time to get an officer from one side of the zone to the other.

We had suggested that the zone be cut in half, with the dividing line being around Simmons Middle School.  To do that would entail hiring five additional officers (3 regular and 2 to cover off days), plus the vehicles, etc.  Two years ago that price tag was around $550,000.00 per year.  I don't know what it is today, but the economy doesn't support it at this time.

Our main concern is more police presence and less "speed trap" presence.  Not one person that we've talked to supports the traffic enforcement on Park Avenue, Shades Crest Road and Chapel Road.  Most people, including some who have posted here, support enforcing stop sign violations throughout Bluff Park, not just at certain intersections.  The problem is that when 1 person complains about speeders, the speed traps are set up, since the motorcycle units are not part of the Bluff Park zone.

Yes, we have more presence than we did in 2006, but we're not where we would like to be.  Yet.  Once the economy improves, I don't believe it would be out of line for the city to re-examine the zone split.

Your initial question was the stats on police coverage per area.  I can tell you that just based on personal observations, there must be at least 3-4 police cars in the Galleria/Lorna Road area at any given time.  They are very aggressive in pulling people over and they seem to always work in multiple groups.  Chief Derzis has spoken about this in the past, stating that Hoover PD will be very aggressive about making sure the wrong element (my words, not his) doesn't come into Hoover without being looked at.  In his defense, our crime stats are almost non-existent compared to Birmingham, which borders us in several places.  I don't know if his plan is working, but you can't say it isn't.

We'll keep pushing, but our stance has always been a non-adversarial role.  We can (and have) get more accomplished by working with the city leaders than working against them.

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bluff Park Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #24 - 02/09/10 at 3:19pm

OK, I just got off the phone with Lt. Stuart of the Hoover PD.

First thing, the honker on Shades Crest Rd. and Chapel.  An e-mail will be sent out to the beat officer to be in that area at around 5am to see what the honker's problem is.  Hopefully he can be stopped.  Lt. Stewart has his tag number and will advise what is found.

Next item, Jeep teenager.  According to Lt. Stuart , they have received two calls on him.  One in December and one in January.  The January call described the Jeep as being red, not maroon, but it was most likely the same vehicle.  Both times the vehicle was not found, but they know it was him.  In the state of Alabama in order to write a traffic citation, not only does the vehicle need to be identified, but also the driver.  If the officer does not witness the act, then he/she cannot issue a citation, UNLESS a citizen is willing to fill out a prosecution request and act as the witness.  Most people are unwilling to do that, so you see what positon the officers are in.

His solution:  Call.  Call.  Call.  Call.  Whenever you see him breaking the law, call.  They would rather go up 50 times and try to find something than let the kid have free reign of the area.  They will be watching out for him.  Before someone asks why the parents don't do anything, suffice it to say that they won't.  Leave it at that.  Lt. Stewart was limited in what he could discuss because the individual is a minor, therefore not much information can be shared with the public.

There is an e-mail sent out by the Traffic sergeant every morning to all of the traffic officers advising them of the areas that have received the most complaints as far as stop sign runners, speeders, etc.  If you have a problem, call HPD.

They are now aware of the problems (more than before) and will do their best to try to solve them.  Let's give them the opportunity to do so.  And let's help them by doing the following:  when you see the vehicle call them with the exact make and model, tag if you can get it, color, description of the driver (very important) and direction of travel.  The more information you can give the dispatcher, the better chance of apprehending the person.

I'll update as I get more information.

« Last Edit: 02/09/10 at 4:12pm by Bluff Park Forum Admin »  

The Administrator.
Email WWW   IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #25 - 02/10/10 at 9:31pm

Thanks for keeping us informed.  Hopefully we can put an end to some of this stuff.

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #26 - 02/10/10 at 11:20pm

wow.  i had no idea that there were so many traffic issues in BP.  BP is a GREAT place to live and enjoy.  we have a lovely place for all ages to live.  however, it looks like we need to push for more respect from our police department, and our local representative(s).  it seems like we're being treated like the red headed step child and that hurts.  i don't know the answer to the problem, except to keep our eyes  and ears open and keep on the police department's butt.  i know when i called about the jeep boy, that the officer was very understanding, and assured me that they were aware of problems in the neighborhood.  i think a good swing with a Louisville Slugger may be in order.

IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #27 - 02/12/10 at 4:43pm

I think our maroon jeep friend or his parents are reading this board.  The last five days he has kept a very low profile.  This morning the jeep showed back up in the front yard after having been gone for the previous three days.  This time however it had a license plate which it has not had in several months.  The tag though was covered in mud, presumably to keep people from being able to report it.  In any case, he has been keeping a low profile which is fine with me.

I hope the HPD is paying as close attention to this board as jeep boy appears to be.

IP Logged
overhere
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #28 - 02/12/10 at 7:54pm

let's make sure we put his tag number up as soon as someone can get it. keep the pressure on.

IP Logged
JBH
YaBB Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #29 - 02/13/10 at 12:02pm

Isn't it illegal to have a plate you can't read?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company