"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/16/24 at 7:17pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Local Maroon Jeep (Read 27285 times)
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Re: Local Maroon Jeep
Reply #30 - 02/13/10 at 12:41pm

I don't think he is the sharpest tool in the shed.  A covered plate will just give the HPD reason to pull him over.  Let him keep it covered.

IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #31 - 02/15/10 at 2:27am

one option you have for the horn honker is to get a picture of the driver, as well as the vehicle and tag number.  when you have this, you can call the PD to do an offense report.  There are two state codes that apply.  I will list them here and describe the difference.  

Section 32-5-213
Horns and warning devices.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order capable of emitting a sound audible under normal conditions for a distance of not less than 200 feet.

It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use upon a vehicle any siren or for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device.

(b) Every police and fire department and fire patrol vehicle and every ambulance used for emergency calls shall be equipped with a siren, bell, ululating multi-toned horns or other electronic siren type device approved by the Director of Public Safety.

(c) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, §36; Acts 1966, Ex. Sess., No. 432, p. 578.)

title 32 is the state traffic code for Alabama, these are usually done on a UTC, a traffic ticket. when you sign the ticket you are not admitting guilt, but promising to either appear in court or pay the fine before the court date listed.  

Section 13A-11-7
Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or

(2) Makes unreasonable noise; or

(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or

(4) Without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or

(5) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or a transportation facility; or

(6) Congregates with other person in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse.

(b) Disorderly conduct is a Class C misdemeanor.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §5525.)

title 13A is the state criminal code. if an officer charges you under this you have to go to jail and bond out.  

the key is positive identification of the offender and vehicle(time and place is important as well).  the Magistrate will not give you a warrant unless you can prove a certain individual has committed the crime in question.  you may have to get up early with a video camera with good lighting and audio, but if it bothers you that much....  
1.get the act on tape  
2. get the info previously mentioned
3. have an officer come to your house non-emergency to do an offense report
4. when the report is ready go pick up a copy  
5. take that copy and your evidence to the magistrate(normally you would need a second eye witness but the tape is better- warrants are a serious issue and will not be issued arbitrarily) and swear out a warrant.

eventually the person will be arrested for the warrant and have to bond out, then they will get a court date and you will both get subpoenas to show up for court. bring your evidence, the rest is up to the judge.  

since you are signing a warrant, the title 32 offense would cause the person to be arrested, they would not be able to bond out.  

this would be the appropriate modern way to handle the situation. though im sure the baseball bat to their car would be much more viscerally satisfying  Wink

interested in our states traffic laws and criminal laws? go to: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

and click on title 32 for traffic and 13A for criminal codes.  
if you look long enough, you may be surprised to find a few laws that you have been breaking for years unknowingly!

IP Logged
_anonymous_
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #32 - 02/15/10 at 2:43am

oh yeah, if you see a cop on the main road writing tix, then he's not in your neighborhood looking for burglars.  the argument given about having to hire extra officers to work an area is a limited viewpoint. you could easily re-assign an officer from another area/division to cover another sector from time to time. traffic divisions are nice, they work wrecks an write tickets, but they dont answer regular calls or patrol neighborhoods.  
 I really dont mean to be rude with this next comment, but: substations are nothing but a pacifier for vocal residents unless the substations are being used on a VERY regular basis for shift change/roll call.  otherwise, its a nice place to use a clean bathroom and write a report.  If the substation truly made a difference then the convenience store 1/2 mile away (less than) should not have been robbed so recently.  As a long time BP resident it makes me sick to think that people have been threatening deadly force against our merchants in recent years(store robberies).  
Bill Taylors fillin station was the best sub-station/crime deterrent we had.  When the weather warms up, it would be nice to see a public safety/drivers license checkpoint or two on fancher dr/tyler rd. and tyler road/cvs after 9pm

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #33 - 02/17/10 at 10:59pm

jeep boy does have a new tag.  it's a vanity tag and i tried to get it written down,  but he moved too quickly to get it.  he had another young man in the vehicle with him and they tried to intimidate me with threatening looks and his friend was also involved.  he rolled his window down as if he wanted a verbal confrontation, but i didn't take the bait.  i just gave him a couple of smiles and winks and he spun out very frustrate.l  at least we know he has a tag now, and can be identified with it.  also, there always seems to be a huge party going on at the home every night.  i suspect that some parents might be interested in what their kids are doing at this residence.  since we know that he now has a legal tag it helps all of us to keep our eyes open and get that tag if you can.  i agree that he has been keepimg a low profile, but he'll eventually run into the wrong situation and have a high price to pay.  there's always a kid like this in the neighborhood.  let's shut this one down.

IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #34 - 02/18/10 at 7:23am

The tag is "ILUVTCW".  Sounds like TCW is one lucky woman!!   Shocked

IP Logged
sweethome2
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 02/18/10 at 9:02am

Quote from Dmliddy on 02/09/10 at 9:12am:
I can certainly understand the frustration of people who feel like the HPD is unresponsive.

I mentioned this in the "reporting traffic violations" thread, and I am re-mentioning it here.

I live near the intersection of Chapel Rd and Shades Crest Rd.  I moved here in early fall, and since then I've noticed someone who, at around 5am, stops at the stop sign at this intersection, and then honks their horn as they drive past our home.  And I'm not talking a short beep.  It's "HO-two-three-four-NK."  It's not everyday, but it's once or twice a week.  In December, after it had gone on for two months or so, I started keeping a log.

It's the same car every time- A silver Jeep Grand Cherokee- License plate # 1B21D62

I know this because I finally got up at 4:45 one morning and followed them as they sped all the way down Shades Crest to Alford Ave.

I emailed Officer Foreman- no response.  I posted it in the reporting traffic violations thread and an administrator said I should be hearing from someone (and thank you for listening!  I'm not being sarcastic here) but I've not heard from anyone.  Yesterday morning when it happened again I called the HPD and they basically blew me off.  The dispatcher asked me if "I wanted them to keep an eye out?"  

No, I want you to find the person and ask them to quit, because apparently they're obsessed enough to keep doing it from October to February.  You have a big 'ole database with everyone's registration in it.  I guess I could pay the 80$ fee to have it looked up online, or I could get up at 4:45 am again and follow this person to their work and ask them there, but frankly, anyone who's willing to harass random strangers for four months is not someone I want to contact personally.

I am frustrated, and I don't feel like the HPD gives two craps about it.  If it continues, I guess I'll pay 80$, find out their address, and start riding by their home at midnight, honking all the way.  But I won't do that, because I have some standard of decency.

I'm sorry to rant here.  Thanks, again, for listening.  From now on I guess instead of keeping a log I'll call the HPD every single morning it happens.  

Ginny MacDonald at the Birmingham News does a section called Driver's Side.  A man from Hoover wrote about his wife getting a ticket for honking her horn to let the car in front of her know it was okay to go.  The Hoover police officer, according to this man, was very upset that she used her horn.  Hoover police responded that the officer was enforcing a state law.  It is against state law to use a horn other than as a reasonable warning, or to make unnecessary loud or harsh sounds by means of a horn.

I did not know this and will not tap my horn if the person in the car in front of me is texting, putting on make-up, eating or just not paying attention.  I will just sit through a traffic light and let the cars behind me honk.

IP Logged
HRDominoe
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #36 - 02/19/10 at 1:24am

Quote from JBH on 02/13/10 at 12:02pm:
Isn't it illegal to have a plate you can't read?

I thought it was.  If the vehicle gets on the road that way, then their will be yet another issue.

I'm annoyed beyond words at whoever is driving.  The screaming motorcycle was bad enough but I think the jeep is worse.

I saw a Hoover PD SUV go up our street today.  Rarely see them around my street but then, it's quiet now except for Jeep boy.  And the slow-rolling stop sign runners.

"Jeep boy"... I likes!  Cheesy

IP Logged
BPDad
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park is great!

Reply #37 - 02/19/10 at 3:11pm

DMliddy calls the HPD and gives them the time, location, description, and tag number of someone that has been honking their horn 3 days a week for atleast three months and HPD does nothing. Then you read where a woman gets a ticket for honking her horn once to tell someone it is clear to go. I'll say it again, if HPD really wanted to do something about the traffic situations in BP they would. Instead they set up revenue generating - quota filling speed traps that do nothing for us.

IP Logged
BPDad
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park is great!

Reply #38 - 02/19/10 at 6:33pm

Here's an example. I'm coming home from work tonight and come to the 4 way at Mountain and Clearview and see a HPD Tahoe in the back of the Pig parking lot. When I get to one end of the HPD Sergeant's street, some fool runs the stop sign on two wheels and speeds on down the road.

IP Logged
stumpy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #39 - 02/19/10 at 7:38pm

I dont understand. So your annoyed because there is a police officer patrolling shades mountian plaza? And what does the sergeant living on bedford have to do with anything? The police cant be everywhere and I feel safer knowing that they are close to all the foot traffic at shades mountian plaza, rather then babysitting stop signs or running radar. The police in our city do an outstanding job and you should honor them for that. This week the Chamber of Commerce honored a few of our local heros we should all thank them and be thankful for the job they do.  

http://www.hooverpd.com/ftpupload/upload/2009OfficeroftheYear.pdf

IP Logged
BPDad
YaBB Newbies

Bluff Park is great!

Reply #40 - 02/20/10 at 10:00pm

No what I'm annoyed about is the fact that HPD is unresponsive to our concerns. I respect the officers of the HPD and I agree that they do a pretty good job, but if you read the posts on this thread you will see that not all of us agree with your grade of outstanding. Have you had a traffic concern and emailed Officer Foreman? Did he respond? It would be nice if he atleast acknowledged the fact that he received an email. Even if it said, "Hey, I received your email and we will look into it." Obviously you aren't being terrorized by "Jeep Boy" or have people driving through your front yard because they took the curve too fast. What does the officer on bedford have to do with it? Since he is in the HPD traffic division one would think that he would be concerned for the safety of his children playing in his front yard. People speed up and down his street and blow the stop signs at both ends all the time.

IP Logged
stumpy
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #41 - 02/25/10 at 8:22pm

I just dont think its right to single out one officer over and over again on this forum. Im sure he isnt the only officer living in Bluff Park and parking his patrol car in his driveway shouldnt cause him to constantly be called out on this forum. Yes he is a police officer, but he doesnt work 24 hours a day and like everyone else when his shift is over he goes home to his family. I think yall should cut him some slack he puts his life on the line daily to make sure we are safe. No i havent seen the kid driving the jeep but every neighborhood in the world has traffic problems its just an unfortunate part of life. Does that make it right, absolutely not. I just find it unfortunate that rather then creating a good working relationship with the officers living in our community we constantly project negativity toward them and the rest of the department.

IP Logged
pekaboo

Reply #42 - 02/26/10 at 11:39am

Maybe they should rotate police officers in the area to catch the person. Does he tend to do stuff at only certain times of the day? Does he only do it with one vehicle? Does he stay at a friends house in the area and also cause problems? What exactly do his parents do to curtail this problem? Cann't they get in  trouble if they don't do something to try and stop to problem?

IP Logged
fl350
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #43 - 03/22/10 at 5:13pm

I don't know if something has been said or not but Jeep boy has been laying low and the car's are no longer parked in the front lawn/mud.  I am enjoying the break from the kid.

IP Logged
rolling stone
YaBB Newbies

I like Bluff Park...

Reply #44 - 03/27/10 at 7:21pm

i'm thinking you are correct about Jeep Boy.  however i did observe him driving the big yellow moving van which he has his Hoover High School tag on.  he drives it to school.  he probably blew the engine on the jeep like he did on the little blue car.  

if you know any kids hanging out at this house, i would tell them that they are headed for trouble.  one kid from the Pig admitted that it was a pretty happening place as i was checking out.  i told him that he needed to keep his butt clear of this kid or he may be the next for a free ride to the police station.  he looked stunned.  another bright light in the neighborhood.  as least he's working.  he got the message.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company