"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/18/24 at 4:40pm
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
dump trucks on Rockland (Read 28165 times)
Leo
YaBB Newbies

Re: dump trucks on Rockland
Reply #60 - 08/01/08 at 4:31pm

I am new to this forum is it always like this? undecided

IP Logged
BluffPark2010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #61 - 08/01/08 at 4:36pm

"My Reply:  My yard is immaculate.  So are my cars, house and about everything I own.  I take a lot of personal pride in about everything I do."

Websters defines immaculate as having no flaw or error.  So in other words, your yard is perfect in every measurable way?

"My reply:  I am not better than everybody but I am better than you.  From your previous post you sound like a trailer park hick that doesn’t want to improve this community and is content to let it slowly degrade.  So feel free to preach it from the Trailer Park there brother."

That's just a flat out lie.  You are not better than me, nor anyone else.  You are nothing but an overgrown schoolyard bully with personal issues.  Most of the people on this forum have grown to dislike you, but they don't say anything.  I'll bet most of your so called friends you associate with feel the same way about you.  Do any of your friends or family ever turn to you when they need help?  Probably not, because they know you are a selfish jerk who would just pick on them.  With regards to trailer park, never lived in one my entire life.  Don't associate with rednecks, so I don't really see where you are going with that one.  Then again nobody else on this forum does, so there's no need to go into that one, because the trailer park, just like the so called value of your home, cars, and your family income, all figments of your imagination.  

My reply:  My wife and I make more money than yuppies.  In fact we make a sheisse load of money and we plow it into our house and surroundings.  Given that we have invested so much in our home we are concerned with the neighborhood around it.    

We could live in Greystone, Forest Park, or Mountainbrook, but we chose to live in Bluff Park.  I hope this decision turns out to be a good one.  

My response:  you could have, but you didn't.  Could it maybe be because you simply could not afford those places to begin with?  Talk is cheap and this is an Internet message board.  We all know that Internet message boards and chat rooms are where people can live out their fantasies.

My reply: You are assuming that the City of Hoover will enforce a housing code that they just recently adopted three years ago.  Yeah that’s right the City was without something as basic as a housing code up until three years ago.  Even then it took three older gentlemen to champion the cause because nobody else would push it through.  

Given that I don’t have any faith that the City of Hoover will ever enforce the code.  

Housing codes are passed so as to keep up pressure on the community to keep the neighborhood safe.  You can't directly go after people for being annoying neighbors, being loud, or having the general profile of a criminal.  The general theory is, keep pressure on the small things, and the big things do not happen.  If somebody has the police called on them for not having their grass cut, theory is that they will understand not to do bigger things.  It works most of the time, however not all of the time.  I know of one house on Alford where the grass gets overgrown sometimes, but it is owned by an old lady who probably doesn't have the money to pay somebody to cut her grass.  Understanding the demographics of a neighborhood helps you to get problems solved much more effectively.  Treating an old lady like a criminal because of her yard is not an effective solution to the problem.  No one on this message board has specifically addressed the house which I am thinking of, but it serves as an example to prove that you must actually have an understanding of a community in order to get things moving and get people behind you.  The solution would be for concerned people in the neighborhood to volunteer their time to help out an elderly person.  That is what people once did no the older days, they helped out the elderly.  There are enough young able bodied men with lawnmowers in the neighborhood.  I'm sure someone could organize church groups, or offer community service hours for high school students.  I much prefer that solution to treating everyone like a criminal whose house doesn't measure up to your standards.

Hoover does enforce the code when they determine something to be a legitimate problem.  Hoover is not a small town like Homewood or Mountain Brook.  Hoover is also a major business hub with close to 70,000 citizens spread out from Greystone to the edge of Bessemer.  They have to look at the big picture.  Is the house on Alford annoying to you?  It no doubt is.  Does the city of Hoover, who is responsible for 70,000 citizens and the second largest commercial base in the metro area believe the appearance of some of the homes in the city is threatening everything here?  Probably not.  There are some, however, legitimate concerns for the city.  They cleaned up a problem home near Alford Avenue because there were serious legitimate quality of life issues, I'm sure you know what I mean by that.  The house on Savoy owned by the older gentleman, people have complained about that for a while.  The city of Hoover has no doubt determined that the home does not pose a quality of life issue for the other neighbors.  It will never become a home taken over by squatters, it won't become a rental home, and it won't become a drug dealer's shack.  The city of Hoover is not going to bully an elderly gentleman, especially one who graduated from the University of Alabama law school.

My reply:  I never compared Bedford to Alford but I think Bedford would win hands down.  The $500K house that you referenced actually went on the market for around $350K and it probably sold for less because it stayed on the market forever.  The $1M home is actually three homes on a massive lot so if you averaged them it would be around $300K apiece.  Also there is no correlation to how much someone pays for a home and how clean it is, so I am not grasping your redneck logic.

to be continued...

IP Logged
teatucker

Welsh with no tail

Reply #62 - 08/01/08 at 4:38pm

Quote from bppanther on 08/01/08 at 4:28pm:

Not a real estate agent, but this is my opinion...This area didn't explode like parts of Homewood did years back, but we have experienced steady, continued growth. I think a lot of people who have bought in Homewood the last few years have seen their property values decline b/c they bought in at the end of the housing boom, when houses in that area were overpriced. We sold a house in BP within the last year in about a week, with 3 offers within the first few days. For the most part, if you maintain your home and update a few things, your house will be desired. A lot of young people have moved in, and that's a good sign. I believe its much easier to sell here than many other areas, especially many parts of Shelby Co where there are hundreds upon hundreds of the same houses for sell, and drive times are horrendous (anytime I travel south on 65 past Highway 31 in the afternoon I swear I'll never do it again). Its up to us to keep BP desirable and much of that is simply keeping your yard up and taking a little pride in your home...if not for you than for your neighbors.

Outstanding post bppanther!! Well said!
Cant agree more. I think a steady growth is better than a boom and then a fall or bubble.

IP Logged
teatucker

Welsh with no tail

Reply #63 - 08/01/08 at 4:40pm

Quote from Leo on 08/01/08 at 4:31pm:
I am new to this forum is it always like this? undecided

no, it just seems the 3 of them in this thread. There are very nice people on this forum outside of this conversation. Have not been here long myself.

IP Logged
BluffPark2010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #64 - 08/01/08 at 5:20pm

part two of really long post:

Not surprising, given we are in a housing recession right now.  The lot with three homes, they are all behind the same gate.  Doesn't matter if it is three structures or one.

And I never mentioned anything about Alford being a commuter road and what does that have to do with how it looks?  I think your “Solution” is pretty stupid.  Why don’t you just ask people to start cleaning up around their yards so it doesn’t look like a vine/equipment infested pig pen.  

That is correct, you never mentioned Alford Avenue as a commuter road.  I DID.  Believe it or not, you do not know the entire sum of human knowledge out there, however much you would like to think you do.  Getting a constant reasonable speed going on Alford Avenue would do a lot more good than most people want to acknowledge.  But you are happy bashing it while reaping the full benefits of its existance, a road for your commute.

Furthermore, I have never advocated anyone living in filth.  I just think bullying people and in general being full of hate and arrogance does not win people over to your side.

Bluff Park is, has been, and will continue to be a good neighborhood.  It is not a perfect neighborhood, but no neighborhood is.  Come to think of it, your home is probably the only perfect one in Bluff Park.  Your home on Bedford Avenue is probably better than all of the people who live in Carisbrooke, they just don't realize it yet.  Do I want to have people who care about the neighborhood living here?  Absolutely.  I just happen to think that it is possible to live with neighbors who want people to live in attractive neighborhoods, while at the same time not being angry hate filled bigots who display the absolute worst humanity has to offer.  If character and humanity were scored on a scale similar to real estate, you wouldn't even be Ensley or Tarrant, you would be a poor village in a third world country with raw sewage everywhere.

We all have our ideals of what a perfect world is, but real world conditions must be taken into account.  You don't put people away in prison for ten years for littering.  If people have the ability to deal with certain issues and they do not, they must be held accountable, but the Constitution forbids cruel and excessive punishment.  The reality is, you came here to this neighborhood and you knew exactly what it looked like before moving in.  There are indeed rednecks who live in Bluff Park, no doubt why you would mistake anybody who disagrees with you for one.  But they have roots in Bluff Park for many years, much longer than you have been here.  There are also elderly families here in Bluff Park who don't care much for trying to radically transform the neighborhood, but as the saying goes you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.  And there are a very small number of newcomers in Bluff Park who are newcomers to America in general.  I think the thing to do would be to make them feel welcome into the community, and maybe even invite them to join neighborhood associations.  I think making people feel welcome is a much better solution to making people feel as if they have a stake in the community.  I personally would not want to help people out if I felt like they hated me and are just using me to accomplish their own objectives.

Being a newcomer to Bluff Park and Hoover, there are probably things you do not know about the community.  Many of the people in city government and many of the founders of Hoover as we know it today went to Berry High School and in fact grew up in the Bluff Park area.  They prospered, and they moved to bigger neighborhoods, but they did not forget where they came from.  They also remember the neighborhood before hate filled snobs started to move in who were filled with delusions of grandeur that they would take a regular home and suddenly would become insanely wealthy from it.  Want to know why this country as a whole is in one of the worst housing markets since World War 2?  Because millions of consumers were filled with greed and delusions of grandeur, just the same as you are.

Do you have any family in Hoover or more specifically Bluff Park?  Do you participate in any community events?  Do you go to any of the local churches?  Do you shop at the Piggly Wiggly and order from any of the local restauraunts?

Sounds to me like you are one of the millions of people out there who thought you would automatically make hundreds of thousands of dollars just because you are buying a home in a neighborhood with new wealth coming in.  The realities of the housing market have changed that and crushed your fantasies of greed, so it is everyone's fault but yours.  It doesn't matter that you purchased a home on an average street, or that you bought your house when interest rates were much lower than they should have been, or that we are now facing a major energy problem which is negatively affecting the economy.  It is everybody's fault but yours.  If I don't think people should be harassed over an issue in which harassment is not the solution, then I am responsible for your home's value.  I've seen your kind before.

I'm beginning to get the impression that, as much as you trash other people, you are just a few paychecks away from living in the trailer park.  Because you made stupid financial decisions.  You don't want to improve Bluff Park at all.  Nor anywhere else for that matter.  You just wanted to move in and get rich.  Your get rich plan did not work, so it is the responsibility of everyone in Bluff Park to radically transform this neighborhood.  But this neighborhood will continue to improve and get better.  Bluff Park Elementary is one of the top ranked in the system.  Bluff Park Elementary has outscored Greystone Elementary on many occasions.  As the old saying goes, Rome was not built in a day.  I'm sure an educated man like yourself has heard that expression before.

IP Logged
BluffPark2010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #65 - 08/01/08 at 5:24pm

About problem houses, there are a few unsightly homes in every single neighborhood of America.  Nowhere is perfect, and nobody's yard is perfect.  I have a few relatives and friends in Los Angeles, and believe it or not there are even a few unsightly homes in Beverly Hills, California, of all places.

IP Logged
Another_PSA
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 08/01/08 at 5:39pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 08/01/08 at 4:25pm:
Let’s just get something straight.  I am not the one that fired off the original one page hate post.  I was just responding to your trailer trash friend.  As far as the income discussion, that was in response to your friend’s post.  Not lying or compensating for something else.

You can call me a racist till your blue in the face, but I could care less.  I just call it like I see it.  Every house in BP with massive amounts of construction equipment in their yard is Mexican-owned.  I am just pointing out the direct correlation.  If that makes me a racist, then so be it.  

Oh by the way, have you seen the two dump trucks parked in front of the new Hispanic home by Larkspur Lane.  When are you going to concede to the fact that I am right??

As far as moving out of Bluff Park, once the kids get out of Bluff Park Elementary we plan to jet to Vestavia.  So there you go.  Sorry I took a gamble on Bluff Park, a place of all talk and no action.  

Das ist eine Lüge!  Eine riesen grosse Lüge!

IP Logged
Another_PSA
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 08/01/08 at 5:40pm

Quote from BluffPark2010 on 08/01/08 at 5:20pm:
part two of really long post:

Two very good, well argued posts, BluffPark2010!

Could not have said it better myself.

IP Logged
BluffPark2010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #68 - 08/01/08 at 6:59pm

I really do hate to be angry, but some things just cannot stand and go unchallenged.  Are there homes that need working on in this neighborhood?  Absolutely.  Does that make the neighborhood a bad neighborhood to live in?  Absolutely not.  I would very much like to improve the neighborhood.  My reasons for improving it are different than forolemiss.  I would like to improve the neighborhood so that the people of Bluff Park, mainly the people who have been here for a long time, can have something to be proud of.  I do not want to make a neighborhood just to attract people who feel like they are better than everybody else, to have all of the people who have been here nuts
 on because they don't measure up to the standards of somebody who only wants to move here to turn a profit, and then leave later on.  There are many people who grew up in wealthier parts of Hoover who graduate college and then move to Bluff Park for their first home, because the homes are reasonably priced and the neighborhoods have potential.  There is enormous potential for Bluff Park.  

As gasoline prices continue to rise and traffic on the roads increases, Bluff Park will look even more attractive to many professionals, successful people, and other accomplished citizens of the Birmingham area.  We don't have that many businesses in Bluff Park, nor many attractive shopping outlets.  That can always change.  I think we could get some money for revitalization and change the area around the main two shopping centers.  I think if we set up a bus route inside Bluff Park that leads to UAB and downtown Birmingham, it would take cars off of the road and help people completely avoid the parking problem downtown and at UAB.  That would only work if Birmingham has a good transportation system in place where people can at least go from work or school to a few restauraunts.

Less attention is paid to Bluff Park than other parts of Hoover, but that can change.  We can always form new neighborhood associations and encourage people to become more active in the community.  We can have greater strength if our neighborhood leaders worked with leaders of other nearby neighborhoods such as Green Valley.  Most of the city council pays more attention to other parts of Hoover because change is more rapid in other parts of Hoover and there is not the same sense of community because most of the people are new.  The council holds the neighborhood in high regards.  Many of the councilmen and city workers have roots in Bluff Park that date all the way back to childhood.  That is probably why the city leaders do not want to harass people in the community over issues that are, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant.

Culture plays a big role in the value of a neighborhood.  Would Mountain Brook be what it is without its villages?  Would Homewood be what it is without its downtown and street layout?  Would Greystone be what it is without the golf course?  Bluff Park does not have a golf course, but it is adjacent to Green Valley, which does, and the people of Bluff Park are more than welcome in Green Valley and the Hoover Country Club.  Bluff Park has easy access to many ammenities, but we need to bring some directly into the neighborhood.  Bluff Park has the beginnings of a neighborhood walking trail.  If we were to expand the sidewalks, it would greatly enhance the appearance of the neighborhood.

I could go on and on about what we could do for the neighborhood, but I don't want to sit here for too long on Friday night.  Bottom line is that Bluff Park is a good neighborhood, no matter what some people say about it.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #69 - 08/01/08 at 7:54pm

Quote from BluffPark2010 on 08/01/08 at 6:59pm:
I really do hate to be angry, but some things just cannot stand and go unchallenged.  Are there homes that need working on in this neighborhood?  Absolutely.  Does that make the neighborhood a bad neighborhood to live in?  Absolutely not.  I would very much like to improve the neighborhood.  My reasons for improving it are different than forolemiss.  I would like to improve the neighborhood so that the people of Bluff Park, mainly the people who have been here for a long time, can have something to be proud of.  I do not want to make a neighborhood just to attract people who feel like they are better than everybody else, to have all of the people who have been here nuts
on because they don't measure up to the standards of somebody who only wants to move here to turn a profit, and then leave later on.  There are many people who grew up in wealthier parts of Hoover who graduate college and then move to Bluff Park for their first home, because the homes are reasonably priced and the neighborhoods have potential.  There is enormous potential for Bluff Park.  

As gasoline prices continue to rise and traffic on the roads increases, Bluff Park will look even more attractive to many professionals, successful people, and other accomplished citizens of the Birmingham area.  We don't have that many businesses in Bluff Park, nor many attractive shopping outlets.  That can always change.  I think we could get some money for revitalization and change the area around the main two shopping centers.  I think if we set up a bus route inside Bluff Park that leads to UAB and downtown Birmingham, it would take cars off of the road and help people completely avoid the parking problem downtown and at UAB.  That would only work if Birmingham has a good transportation system in place where people can at least go from work or school to a few restauraunts.

Less attention is paid to Bluff Park than other parts of Hoover, but that can change.  We can always form new neighborhood associations and encourage people to become more active in the community.  We can have greater strength if our neighborhood leaders worked with leaders of other nearby neighborhoods such as Green Valley.  Most of the city council pays more attention to other parts of Hoover because change is more rapid in other parts of Hoover and there is not the same sense of community because most of the people are new.  The council holds the neighborhood in high regards.  Many of the councilmen and city workers have roots in Bluff Park that date all the way back to childhood.  That is probably why the city leaders do not want to harass people in the community over issues that are, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant.

Culture plays a big role in the value of a neighborhood.  Would Mountain Brook be what it is without its villages?  Would Homewood be what it is without its downtown and street layout?  Would Greystone be what it is without the golf course?  Bluff Park does not have a golf course, but it is adjacent to Green Valley, which does, and the people of Bluff Park are more than welcome in Green Valley and the Hoover Country Club.  Bluff Park has easy access to many ammenities, but we need to bring some directly into the neighborhood.  Bluff Park has the beginnings of a neighborhood walking trail.  If we were to expand the sidewalks, it would greatly enhance the appearance of the neighborhood.

I could go on and on about what we could do for the neighborhood, but I don't want to sit here for too long on Friday night.  Bottom line is that Bluff Park is a good neighborhood, no matter what some people say about it.

Hate to disagree with you on a couple of points, but I will.

The city council pays a lot of attention to Bluff Park.  This is mainly because Bluff Park has the highest voter turnout in Hoover.  It is also because Bluff Park has an organization like the Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site.  Apparently you were not at our last two meetings.  I encourage you to attend our All for One party on August 23.  Please let me know what other part of Hoover has an annual event like this (sub-divisions not included).

Every neighborhood must have an agitator and we have ours.  That's fine.  This site and forum, though, were founded on a positive, non-adversarial spirit and if the negativity continues, someone will find themselves looking in from the outside.  Constructive criticism is welcome.  Outright harassment is not.  We didn't get the police substation in Bluff Park by being obnoxious name-callers.  We got it by working with the city leaders and having a plan.  This is the type of behavior that makes communities prosper.  If we wanted negativity, we'd move to Birmingham.

IP Logged
BluffParkWriter
Global Moderator

I Love sugar cookies
with splenda

Reply #70 - 08/01/08 at 9:12pm

Quote from bpresident on 08/01/08 at 7:54pm:

Hate to disagree with you on a couple of points, but I will.

The city council pays a lot of attention to Bluff Park. This is mainly because Bluff Park has the highest voter turnout in Hoover. It is also because Bluff Park has an organization like the Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site. Apparently you were not at our last two meetings. I encourage you to attend our All for One party on August 23. Please let me know what other part of Hoover has an annual event like this (sub-divisions not included).

Every neighborhood must have an agitator and we have ours. That's fine. This site and forum, though, were founded on a positive, non-adversarial spirit and if the negativity continues, someone will find themselves looking in from the outside. Constructive criticism is welcome. Outright harassment is not. We didn't get the police substation in Bluff Park by being obnoxious name-callers. We got it by working with the city leaders and having a plan. This is the type of behavior that makes communities prosper. If we wanted negativity, we'd move to Birmingham.

Well Said Well Said!
and to remind this thread and everyone else that the reason this site/the community web site came about (which was before I came along to the site.. so I take no credit in its formation) was because of the fact that we had some criminals coming in OUR neighborhood and scaring OUR residents and we said NO.... we are not going to have this!!!! Now this community web site has become more than that, its a place where we talk and work out issues and make friends. Bluff Park has always been a tight community, the site and forum makes it even more so. I hate to see a lot of bickering make it look like we are not who we are.

Email WWW   IP Logged
BluffPark2010
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #71 - 08/02/08 at 5:13am

I don't disagree with either one of you.  I don't want to make the forum unpleasant for everyone else and bring negativity here.  I just get tired of hearing people make disparaging remarks about my end of Bluff Park.  On the other hand, I did indeed overreact to the situation.  I apologize for the excessive arguing.  I normally don't display combative behavior, I don't feel that I have represented myself very well.

I was not able to make the neighborhood meetings due to personal reasons.  I agree that things get done by working together with people, and I think there are a lot of great things that can be done to make Bluff Park an even better neighborhood.  There are certain things we all have issues with.  I chose the route of going on the offensive, rather than engaging in constructive criticism and civil disagreements.

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #72 - 08/02/08 at 7:19am

WOW!!   Was really looking forward to the 23rd... not sure now.   undecided    

Welcome Leo!

IP Logged
sweethome2
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 08/02/08 at 9:11am

Quote from BluffPark2010 on 08/02/08 at 5:13am:
I don't disagree with either one of you.  I don't want to make the forum unpleasant for everyone else and bring negativity here.  I just get tired of hearing people make disparaging remarks about my end of Bluff Park.  On the other hand, I did indeed overreact to the situation.  I apologize for the excessive arguing.  I normally don't display combative behavior, I don't feel that I have represented myself very well.

I was not able to make the neighborhood meetings due to personal reasons.  I agree that things get done by working together with people, and I think there are a lot of great things that can be done to make Bluff Park an even better neighborhood.  There are certain things we all have issues with.  I chose the route of going on the offensive, rather than engaging in constructive criticism and civil disagreements.

What a nice statement.  People get mad, it is a fact of life.   You said that there are certain things we all have issues with and I think that sentence says it all.  The understanding that I received from some people here concerning my dog problem really helped.  I made some people here really mad and I hope in time they will get over it as I am not a hateful, nasty person.  The dog does not bark anymore so at least something positive came out of it.  

I understand how you feel and I understand how forolemiss feels.  I think understanding is needed and taking sides does not solve a problem, it just divides the community.        

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #74 - 08/02/08 at 9:36am

Quote from sweethome2 on 08/02/08 at 9:11am:
Quote from BluffPark2010 on 08/02/08 at 5:13am:

What a nice statement.  People get mad, it is a fact of life.   You said that there are certain things we all have issues with and I think that sentence says it all.  The understanding that I received from some people here concerning my dog problem really helped.  I made some people here really mad and I hope in time they will get over it as I am not a hateful, nasty person.  The dog does not bark anymore so at least something positive came out of it.  

I understand how you feel and I understand how forolemiss feels.  I think understanding is needed and taking sides does not solve a problem, it just divides the community.        

Ditto SH2 !!!    

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company