"For, About and By Bluff Park, Alabama"

Home Neighborhood Updates Bluff Park Information Bluff Park Businesses About and Contact Neighborhood Watch Bluff Park Forum Community Billboard Op/Ed (Coming Soon) Heather's Corner

Spread the word!  Like us on Facebook:  

Follow us on Twitter

Get the Book "Images of America: Hoover" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs   

Get the Book "Images of America: Bluff Park" by BluffParkAL.org's own Heather Skaggs

Check out the Event Calendar for "Images of America: Bluff Park" and "Images of America: Hoover"

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Welcome to the Bluff Park, Alabama Forum
05/05/24 at 9:02am
News: Welcome to BluffParkAL.org, serving as THE Bluff Park Neighborhood Web Site since 2006
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
dump trucks on Rockland (Read 28047 times)
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Re: dump trucks on Rockland
Reply #75 - 08/04/08 at 12:42pm

Wow 2010, more assumptions.  

I'll tell you how much I care about Bluff Park.  I spent my Sunday afternoon cutting the 3 foot weed infested yard on Alford.  Not the best yard job in the world given that my mower could not cut down the “Tree trunk” weeds, but none the less....it got done.  Pretty sad that it got to that point.

One of the neighbors came over and thanked me.  Very very cute lady.  She proceeded to tell me that she has asked the City several times to come out and do something and she even called the bank.  Nothing happened.  She then proceeded (unsolicited might I add) to tell me that she had some real concerns about Alford Ave and Bluff Park.  

She complained about how people on Alford don’t care about their yards, don’t care about their home’s appearance, and the seeming lack of enforcement of the housing code.  Evidentially she has moved to the BP area in the last couple of years and has some real concerns about which way the area is headed.  Again, I didn’t solicit any of this.

I guess I am not alone in my views.  I think people on this website probably have the same concerns about the neighborhood that I do but they are not going to express their views for fear of getting labeled a “racist elitist” like me.  Label me all you want.  

If you care so much about BP, why don’t you stop writing your politically correct rants and fire up the ole Craftsman push mower and mow the yard down the street or mow where I did when the weeds grow back.  I doubt this will happen but call me crazy or I guess in your case the “racist elitist”.

IP Logged
galaxiegrace

40 Years in BP &
Counting...

Reply #76 - 08/04/08 at 2:22pm

I feel sorry for the folks who lived on Alford Ave before they made Alford an exit off the interstate... it used to be such a nice street before the exit.

Hoover doesn't care about Bluff Park.  Remember when Skinner (it was Skinner wasn't it?) said that Bluff Park was the ARMPIT of Hoover?  Niiiice!

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #77 - 08/04/08 at 3:22pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 08/04/08 at 12:42pm:
Wow 2010, more assumptions.  

I'll tell you how much I care about Bluff Park.  I spent my Sunday afternoon cutting the 3 foot weed infested yard on Alford.  Not the best yard job in the world given that my mower could not cut down the “Tree trunk” weeds, but none the less....it got done.  Pretty sad that it got to that point.

One of the neighbors came over and thanked me.  Very very cute lady.  She proceeded to tell me that she has asked the City several times to come out and do something and she even called the bank.  Nothing happened.  She then proceeded (unsolicited might I add) to tell me that she had some real concerns about Alford Ave and Bluff Park.  

She complained about how people on Alford don’t care about their yards, don’t care about their home’s appearance, and the seeming lack of enforcement of the housing code.  Evidentially she has moved to the BP area in the last couple of years and has some real concerns about which way the area is headed.  Again, I didn’t solicit any of this.

I guess I am not alone in my views.  I think people on this website probably have the same concerns about the neighborhood that I do but they are not going to express their views for fear of getting labeled a “racist elitist” like me.  Label me all you want.  

If you care so much about BP, why don’t you stop writing your politically correct rants and fire up the ole Craftsman push mower and mow the yard down the street or mow where I did when the weeds grow back.  I doubt this will happen but call me crazy or I guess in your case the “racist elitist”.

I'd like to commend you for taking care of the grass on the Alford Avenue house in the Shades Mountain area.  You put your money where your mouth is.  Very good!

Now on to some different business.  When I created this site, it was meant for a positive place to express views about Bluff Park.  I understand there are sometimes when a little negativity is appropriate, but one can go overboard.  

I've always found that dealing with the source is far better than talking about the source.  For example, yesterday I sent a rather lengthy e-mail to the Lieutenant in charge of traffic at Hoover PD relating to the constant running of stop signs by Bluff Park drivers.  I have requested that some motor units be put in our area to deal with this issue.  Although I requested this in the past, it has mostly resulted in speed traps being set up on Park Avenue and Shades Crest Road.  I emphasized that we don't have a speeding problem, we have a stop sign problem.  But it was addressed.

I understand your frustration with some of the homes in Bluff Park and Alford (which, as I noted in the opening, is in the Shades Mountain community, but nonetheless reflects on Bluff Park) that are not being kept up as you keep yours up.  Becoming hostile with some of the posters is not the answer, though, as then our cause and our mission is not taken as seriously as it could be.  Our mission here is to be both proactive and to find solutions to the problems, not just leave it up to others to solve the problems.  For example, regarding the stop sign issue, I gave them specific times and locations where people are running the stop signs (I would suggest being careful at Bedford and Shandendoah for a while...).  The negative attacks on Bluff Park might have some question why you would live here, as some have already done.  You'd probably agree that there are better ways to get your point across.

We all have our "pet peeves".  Mine is the stop signs.  Yours appears to be homes that are not being kept up to your standards.  We must respect each others views, as well as those who don't seem to care about ours.  I sometimes look at the house down the street from me where the lawn hasn't been cut in a good two months and think that he's making my yard look much better.  I, unlike you, don't feel that that person's yard is a reflection of my yard or the type of person I am.  That's not to say that you don't feel that way and, if you do, that's OK.  Again, I respect your opinion.  But I ask that you respect others on the forum.

The very fact that you took the time to cut the yard on Alford demonstrates that you care about the community that you live in.  That is much more than others would have done.  When I drove past the house on Saturday, I took a good look and wondered how a lawnmower would cut through those weeds and how to get a lawnmower up there.  

Let us work on this together, let us work as a community, let us not tear into each other over little things and let us show the rest of Hoover that Bluff Park is still the best place to live in our city.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #78 - 08/04/08 at 4:41pm

The "Yard/Overcrowded House/Heavy Equipment" issue reflects negatively on the whole community not just the person that refuses to cut their grass or stop stock-piling heavy construction equipment.  It doesn’t seem to be a hot button issues for some but their property values and quality of life will eventually be affected.  I have continuously asked everyone if they would like a neighbor with construction equipment in their yard.  No one has emailed me back with a “Yes”.

As far as being negative, I may be a little bit Chicken Little, but there are definitely some trends going on here.  More people are moving to the area and bring construction equipment with them.  Notice the new home on Alford with the two dump trucks in the front yard??  Why don’t we let this be the test case?  

I think we need to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly on this website.  Isn’t everyone entitled to their opinion?  If mine doesn’t correspond with yours do we need to censor it?  I don’t think so.  

As far as being hostile, I hate to be childish with a “He started it” response, but this 2010 guy was a little out of line first.  “You need to get a life” and the subsequent posts??  Wow.  And talk apathetic.  How can you not be hostile towards apathy??  

In my mind the best solution to the problem is action, not talking.  That yard on Alford should have been cut long time ago.  Why doesn’t someone step up and cut the yard close to 65??  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #79 - 08/04/08 at 6:30pm

Quote from Forolemiss on 08/04/08 at 4:41pm:
The "Yard/Overcrowded House/Heavy Equipment" issue reflects negatively on the whole community not just the person that refuses to cut their grass or stop stock-piling heavy construction equipment.  It doesn’t seem to be a hot button issues for some but their property values and quality of life will eventually be affected.  I have continuously asked everyone if they would like a neighbor with construction equipment in their yard.  No one has emailed me back with a “Yes”.

As far as being negative, I may be a little bit Chicken Little, but there are definitely some trends going on here.  More people are moving to the area and bring construction equipment with them.  Notice the new home on Alford with the two dump trucks in the front yard??  Why don’t we let this be the test case?  

I think we need to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly on this website.  Isn’t everyone entitled to their opinion?  If mine doesn’t correspond with yours do we need to censor it?  I don’t think so.  

As far as being hostile, I hate to be childish with a “He started it” response, but this 2010 guy was a little out of line first.  “You need to get a life” and the subsequent posts??  Wow.  And talk apathetic.  How can you not be hostile towards apathy??  

In my mind the best solution to the problem is action, not talking.  That yard on Alford should have been cut long time ago.  Why doesn’t someone step up and cut the yard close to 65??  

I have no problem with the what you say part (the good, bad and the ugly), but I do have a problem with the how you say it part.  I think we can all agree that we're adults here and that some discussions can be handled like adults.  Harsh attacks can be taken care of on the al.com Hoover forum, where they enjoy that type of exchange.  Here, as you say, we're going to handle things with action.  You took the first step with the cutting of the yard.  Now we need to take the next step with the dump trucks.  Please forward me the exact address and I'll make some calls.  LET'S use it as a test case.  I think it's perfect (although I haven't seen the house).  But let's remember one other thing here:  this site and this forum is "for, about, and by Bluff Park".  Although we don't have a problem inviting the folks on Alford to our functions, technically they're in the Shades Mountain section of Hoover and we don't want to bite off more than we can chew.  I still think that we should use that house you're referring to as a test case.

Regarding the attacks:  they cease today.  I'll give one warning if I see something out of line and then I'll ban the user.  I am not about to let this place become like the al.com forums.  That's not censorship.  That's behaving like adults.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it doesn't match up with ours.

Thanks.

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #80 - 08/05/08 at 8:31am

Quote from bpresident on 08/04/08 at 6:30pm:
Quote from Forolemiss on 08/04/08 at 4:41pm:

I have no problem with the what you say part (the good, bad and the ugly), but I do have a problem with the how you say it part.  I think we can all agree that we're adults here and that some discussions can be handled like adults.  Harsh attacks can be taken care of on the al.com Hoover forum, where they enjoy that type of exchange.  Here, as you say, we're going to handle things with action.  You took the first step with the cutting of the yard.  Now we need to take the next step with the dump trucks.  Please forward me the exact address and I'll make some calls.  LET'S use it as a test case.  I think it's perfect (although I haven't seen the house).  But let's remember one other thing here:  this site and this forum is "for, about, and by Bluff Park".  Although we don't have a problem inviting the folks on Alford to our functions, technically they're in the Shades Mountain section of Hoover and we don't want to bite off more than we can chew.  I still think that we should use that house you're referring to as a test case.

Regarding the attacks:  they cease today.  I'll give one warning if I see something out of line and then I'll ban the user.  I am not about to let this place become like the al.com forums.  That's not censorship.  That's behaving like adults.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it doesn't match up with ours.

Thanks.

THANK YOU !!!  

IP Logged
Forolemiss

Keep BP Beautiful

Reply #81 - 08/05/08 at 9:35am

Sorry about that.  I didn't see 2010's apology in the earlier posts so I kept the barbs coming.

One thing that I am confused about is the statements about Alford not being recognized as Bluff Park and what methodology you are using to say what is Bluff Park.  I saw something about elementary schools???  Shouldn’t it be by what City Council district you vote in??

Under your methodology BluffPark2010 should change his name to ShadesMountain2010 and drop off the website.  I am all for that (just joking), but I think Alford has been historically been included in BP.  

The home on Alford is right in front to Larkspur.  Can't miss it.  They are clearing off the back yard so I imagine the heavy equipment will arrive shortly.  

IP Logged
BPMomma
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #82 - 08/05/08 at 10:14am

Can someone take a picture and post this?  I was shocked when I did a "drive by."

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #83 - 08/05/08 at 10:37am

Quote from Forolemiss on 08/05/08 at 9:35am:
Sorry about that.  I didn't see 2010's apology in the earlier posts so I kept the barbs coming.

One thing that I am confused about is the statements about Alford not being recognized as Bluff Park and what methodology you are using to say what is Bluff Park.  I saw something about elementary schools???  Shouldn’t it be by what City Council district you vote in??

Under your methodology BluffPark2010 should change his name to ShadesMountain2010 and drop off the website.  I am all for that (just joking), but I think Alford has been historically been included in BP.  

The home on Alford is right in front to Larkspur.  Can't miss it.  They are clearing off the back yard so I imagine the heavy equipment will arrive shortly.  

I surely don't want to get in the middle of all this.. but clarify, please.  I know The City is "At Large" and we do not vote Council members by districts.  You are talking about Voting locations - correct?  I just didn't want any new residents that are out in our BP Web to think we had districts.   That's all.. sorry to interrupt.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #84 - 08/05/08 at 11:02am

I think your question is a fair one and I'll try to answer it how I have in the past.  But first, we must go back in history.  First, we'll go back 20+ years before Bluff Park was annexed into Hoover.  Since it was part of the county, there was a "Bluff Park Fire District" in place.  When I first started up BluffParkAl.org I was able to get a map of that fire district from the fine people at Carto-Craft Maps in the Shades Crest Plaza (and it wasn't just a little map, it measured about 6' x 10' in size - it is on display at the Bluff Park Community School)  This fire district went from Hwy. 150 all the way to Columbiana Road and everything in between.  Since we didn't know at the time what was considered "Bluff Park", that was our first reference.  

Prior to BluffParkAl.org being in existence, there was a Bluff Park Neighborhood Association that folded in January 2006.  I was able to speak to the former president of the association and asked her what their qualifications for being in Bluff Park were.  She indicated that they considered any house who's kids were zoned for Bluff Park Elementary School as being in "Bluff Park".  That was our second reference.  Keep in mind that prior to the re-zoning of 2004, kids who lived on Shades Crest Road all the way to Hwy. 150 were zoned for Bluff Park Elementary.

I (and the other "founders" of BluffParkAl.org) then looked at the general area that we call Bluff Park.  The business center of Bluff Park is the Shades Mountain Plaza area and Bluff Park Village.  Outlying business section, thus not in the "center" include Tip Top Grill, Bluff Park Hardware, etc.  We thought that anyone who would frequent the shops in both of those centers should be considered as "Bluff Park", so we came up with the following boundaries:

From Chapel Road by the power sub-station to Shades Crest Road to Sulphur Springs Road on one end, I-65 on the other end and down to Gary Mac drive off Tyler Road and everything inside those roads is what we would consider Bluff Park.  The Alford Avenue area would be sketchy.  Since BluffParkAl.org was formed in August 2006 (2 year anniversary coming up!!  I just renewed the domain for another year...), the Shades Mountain community has come up with their own group and are basing it on the success that we've had, which is great.  If all communities would come together like these two have, many problems could be solved.  But I digress...that's what we consider to be "Bluff Park", so under that premise, the house that you mowed the other day would be considered to be both in Bluff Park and Shades Mountain.  But since we have no authority (and don't claim to have any), what each area belongs to really is up to individual perception.  For example, Mr. P's and the businesses up there are technically not in Bluff Park.  They're not even in Hoover.  They are in the city limits of Birmingham and receive Birmingham police and fire services.  I was not aware of this until we started the site and was informed of this.  The reason, in case anyone is interested, is due to the sale of alcohol at Mr. P's.  Hoover, at the time, didn't want to allow it, Birmingham did, so that shopping center decided to be annexed into Birmingham.

So now lets address your City Council district issue.  This would be (and should be) correct IF we were not an open seat council.  Just because we have seven places on the city council doesn't mean that two people, one from Greystone and one from Bluff Park, couldn't vie for the same seat.  Dr. Lott represents you and me just the same as Gene Smith does.  That doesn't mean that they may not show a greater interest in where they live than where they don't live, but technically it makes no difference, unlike Birmingham, where candidates can only be voted on by people in who's district they are running.  Example:  When we had our two meetings back in 2006 the entire council was invited.  Six of the seven members showed up for both meetings.  The only council member who didn't show up to either meeting was Mr. Natter.  Mr. Natter represented Place 7.  Mr. Natter is not running for re-election.  The three candidates who are seeking his seat live in three different areas of Hoover, one in Bluff Park (Mr. Greene), one in Green Valley (Mr. Brown) and on in Inverness (Mr. Creel).  

So what's Bluff Park?  It's what WE (the residents of Bluff Park) want it to be.  I'd like to see the business section expand and I think that we're going in the right direction there, thanks to a few intelligent business people.  We wouldn't have a Bluff Park police sub-station if it wasn't for the Bluff Park Village's Mr. Harden, who worked out a lease with the city that made it feasible.  We wouldn't have a fantastic venue for this year's "All for One" party if it wasn't for Mr. Lemak who owns part of Shades Mountain Plaza.  Bluff Park is what we make it, with the help and support from the city, the businesses and the residents - in a non-adversarial way.

Hope this answers your question.

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #85 - 08/05/08 at 11:03am

Quote from appleblossom on 08/05/08 at 10:37am:

I surely don't want to get in the middle of all this.. but clarify, please.  I know The City is "At Large" and we do not vote Council members by districts.  You are talking about Voting locations - correct?  I just didn't want any new residents that are out in our BP Web to think we had districts.   That's all.. sorry to interrupt.

Good question.  Answered in the last portion of my most recent post in this thread.

IP Logged
appleblossom

Groovy!!

Reply #86 - 08/05/08 at 11:18am

Quote from bpresident on 08/05/08 at 11:03am:
Quote from appleblossom on 08/05/08 at 10:37am:

Good question.  Answered in the last portion of my most recent post in this thread.

Sorry, I must have missed it.. there is so much negative "Stuff" lately on this topic I skimmed some of the postings.  I'll check it out.   Thanks.

IP Logged
mbear2662
YaBB Newbies

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #87 - 08/05/08 at 11:21am

I may have joined the wrong group then based on where the boundaries are for Bluff Park.  I live on Regent Lane.  I am very interested in my neighborhood.  Could you please tell me if I live in Bluff Park or if I should be associated with the Shades Mountain forum.  Also what is the web site for that so that I can join that forum?

Thanks for your information.  There is a house on Regent Lane that has tree limbs that were cut at the beginning of the summer that are STILL in the yard and have not be carried to the front for pick-up.  The people that live in the house are not elderly they are just LAZY!!!!.

Again thanks for the information.

Email   IP Logged
sweethome2
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 08/05/08 at 12:01pm

forolemiss, I saw the yard that you cut last Sunday and I am amazed that you could get it done with a lawn mower.  You may need to sharpen your blades....... that yard could have used a bush hog!  

IP Logged
bpresident
Global Moderator

I Love Bluff Park!

Reply #89 - 08/05/08 at 1:30pm

Quote from mbear2662 on 08/05/08 at 11:21am:
I may have joined the wrong group then based on where the boundaries are for Bluff Park.  I live on Regent Lane.  I am very interested in my neighborhood.  Could you please tell me if I live in Bluff Park or if I should be associated with the Shades Mountain forum.  Also what is the web site for that so that I can join that forum?

Thanks for your information.  There is a house on Regent Lane that has tree limbs that were cut at the beginning of the summer that are STILL in the yard and have not be carried to the front for pick-up.  The people that live in the house are not elderly they are just LAZY!!!!.

Again thanks for the information.

I don't know if the Shades Mountain community has gone online yet.  I do know they organized within six months of when we did and they have had some meetings, but again, I don't know if they have a site and/or a forum yet.

One way to find out would be to put a post out on either the Hoover Forum (http://www.hooverforum.com) or on the al.com Hoover Forum (http://www.al.com/forums/hoover/index.ssf) and ask if any of them know.  In the meanwhile, we don't discriminate on membership, so you're welcome to stay here as long as you'd like.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

godaddy stats

All Content ©2006-2014 BluffParkAl.org - All Rights Reserved - Site Designed and Hosted by PC Medics of Alabama/An RFS Enterprises Company